Golden Cobra and Super Silver Haze CBD 2-300wLEDs & 600wHPS in soil 2017

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogweed

Reaction score
Hello everyone, Im going to make an attempt at my first grow journal. I just got back from vacation and finished cleaning out the tent. I was going to wait a bit for the weather to cool down before firing her back up but I cant help myself. I just love watching them grow up and mature, and maybe this time I can get some good advice along the journey. Like I said this is my first grow journal, if I miss any info or could touch on anything more let me know.

This time Im doing a Golden Cobra (Grape Kush x Tangie) from Moxie Seeds and a Super Silver Haze CBD (Skunk x Northern Lights x Haze x CBD) from Green House Seeds. Im really looking forward to seeing how this one plays out.

Im growing in a MarsHydro 39x39" using a 600w closed reflector with 6" ducting coming from an inline fan and a carbon filter. I also have 2 cheap 300w mars hydro leds I use for early vegging and along side the MH/HPS when I turn it on. The 600w is cooled by a constant 40-60cfm ceiling fan I piped directly into the tent. If the tent goes about 82*, I have an inline fan that kicks in and aids the constant draw fan with 270cfm.

The soil and nutrients I use are FFOF (1 big bag + 8qt perlite) and the FoxFarm dirty dozen. I also have Great White mycro and silica and cal/mag supplements.
The plants will be grown in 5 gallon superoot pots. I have my doubts about these and might switch to smart pots in the future. They seem to build up a lot of salts at the holes and I've had in both my previous grows regular pots out grow the Superoot pots. Nothing scientific but just something I noticed.

Photos are first drink of water for the babies and 24 hours later. The golden cobra has already been put into a rapid-rooter and in the incubator. which I do have pictures of and my tent but they always come out sideways when I post them. I do know how to rotate photos and save but as soon as I post here they get laid down sideways. So until I can figure that out these will have to do.

View attachment 20170819_224517.jpg

View attachment 20170821_170728.jpg

Thanks for starting a journal. Looks like you have everything in order.. Green mojo for your grow!

Here are a couple update shots. Seeds have already broke the top of the rooters and its been less than 48 hours since they got wet. Beautiful.
Also a shot of the shelf I keep the humidome on for sprouting and the electrical set up in the back. Its a bit messy right now because most of its unplugged but it cleans up nice when it all in place. Once the dome is done the shelf gets turned back into nutrient and tool storage. I'll probably be moving the seeds to soil this weekend. I usually like to wait a bit but if they keep up this pace they should do just fine.
Inside the tent I build a slanted raised base. All the water runs right out of the buckets and flows down into a single tupp. SOOOO much easier than draining 4 separate water traps or moving the plants to the bathroom when its time to flush. I did lose 6 inches of height but I feel it was worth it. Work smart, not hard.

View attachment 20170823_061310.jpg

View attachment 20170823_061253.jpg

View attachment 20170823_061417.jpg

I know most of the Fox Farm line is organic, but isn't the grow, tiger bloom and 3 end stage additives chemical based. Or does the soil tend to break it down well enough?

No, you are right if the nutes you are using are not organic then you aren't organic. I know some of fox farm are organic. I used to use them but can't remember which is. But you are right everything has to be organic to be organic.:vap-Bong_smoker:

I did do a plant last grow that I separated and used only the organic line. The plant kept up and looked to do just as well as the others but when it came to flowering, the buds from the full line where much heavier and more frosted.
In the future I plan on switching to full organic but probably with a different line of nutrients.

Actually, I think that Big Bloom might be the only organic nutrient that Fox Farm makes, other than their soils (which really aren't nutrients). I don't think they have an organic line?

Also when you get into organics, it really needs to be much more than simply soup feeding your plants organic nutrients. You want to start out with a good soil base that has lots of goodies in it. You also want to give them organic teas and a good misting every once in a while with the same. You are actually feeding the soil so it can feed the plants. Simply switching chemical nutes for organic nutes and doing the same routines probably will not yield satisfactory results.

That being said however, I never routinely flush my plants, even when growing with chemical nutrients. The only time I would flush the plants is if I have a problem that requires it.

Exactly why Im waiting a bit to jump into the organic side of things. Its probably not as much as I think it is but it seems like a lot of prep-work and a little more complicated than just measure and pour.

Small update just moved the gals from the dome to buckets. The main root sprout was already 6-8 inches with plenty of off shoots so I figured get them in the soil. I would have put them in smaller buckets first but the roots would have been coiled up on the bottom of them so I just went right to the final bucket. Also the soil I got seemed like it was soaked under water before I bought it. It was almost mud when I poured it out of the bag. So I let it air out a bit before transplanting but I still probably wont have to water for a week.

View attachment 20170827_053943.jpg

View attachment 20170827_053920.jpg

View attachment 20170827_053927.jpg

1 Week Update

The seedlings have been in the soil for 7 days now and the soil is finally starting to dry out from the soggy start it had. I may start to water in a day or 2 but for now I have been just lightly misting the soil near the plant to keep the rapid rooter from drying out completely. The tent has been running between 76-84 during the day. It really depends if its sunny or not without the ac running. At night it dips down to 67-70. I also added 1 more LED, so each pot has its own. They are running a 19/5 scheduled and this is how it will run for probably the next month. Then I'll turn on the MH for the last bit of veg, until the tent is just about full before switching it over to 12/12 and HPS.

The Super Silver Haze CBD seems to be jumping out of the gate to an early start. While the Golden Cobra is taking her sweet time adjusting to her home. But Im pleased so far, both look healthy and happy.

View attachment 20170902_073744.jpg

View attachment 20170902_073751.jpg

View attachment 20170902_074021.jpg

2nd week update

The silver haze is doing great, almost the size of the bucket. The Golden Cobra is doing ok as well but no where near the growth rate.
Im debating removing the lower leaves to keep them off the dirt and give the plant some room to breath between the soil and the leaves but I may let them stay on for a week longer. Not really sure yet, I usually do eventually remove the shoots from the first node. I find they never produce like the rest of the plant so I just get rid of them once the plant takes off and looks healthy.
I did raise the LEDs to 26 inches from the Haze and 21 from the Cobra. Im trying to get a bit of stretch out of the haze. It looks like its going to be a bushy plant with tight nodes.

View attachment 20170910_090823.jpg

View attachment 20170910_090819.jpg

View attachment 20170910_090901.jpg

So a couple of days ago I tied the Cobra over and removed the lowest 2 branches. It responded pretty well, the shoots at each node took off with a burst of growth.
I've been watering them each about a pint every other day so far, I'll increase that soon.

The Super Silver Haze is getting pretty bushy. I was going to tie it down as well but the main stem gets thick real fast and I feel its better off being topped.
Does anyone have any input on whether I should trim out the large fan leaves and expose the shoots or just leave them for now and let it bask in the light?

View attachment 20170914_164710.jpg

View attachment 20170914_164447.jpg

Looking good! Fat leaves on that plant for a haze. I wouldn't touch them right now.

I have to agree with the wide leaves and being a haze but it's what I got in the packet so it is what it is. The only thing I could do is send an email to the company and see what they say.

Week 3

I have upped the watering to a quart every other day with tap water ph'd between 6.4-6.7. They seem to be drinking it up nicely, by the end of the 2nd day the pots are dry and light.
As far as temps go, I've been a little slack on keeping it tightly controlled. I keep the room the tent is in closed when I sleep so for the first and last 2 hours of light cycle the tent gets up to 85. When I turn on the MH in a few weeks, I'll make a few changes to block light from coming out of the tent and I can then keep the door open at night allowing cool fresh air in. Otherwise the MH cooks the tent something fierce.

The SSH has started to stretch upwards more than outwards, so in a week I'll probably top it and start to tie it down.

The Golden Cobra got the rest of her branches tied down so they start to grow in the directions I want them to. She's a fighter though, the steak I put in the front to keep the top down keeps getting pulled out. Despite having a spiral and a hooked end to anchor is down.

View attachment 20170916_073356.jpg

View attachment 20170916_073338.jpg

View attachment 20170916_073335.jpg

4 week update

This week I topped the SSH and removed all the large fan leaves to expose the under growth.
The Golden Cobra is starting to pick up the pace but if it doesn't catch up at least a little to the SSH then when I flip to flower I may move the Cobra to another tent and continue veg for a little longer. I'm trying not to trim too much but am taking the occasional fan leaf off to keep it from over crowding.
I also gave them a small feeding a few days ago with a pinch of Great White to help get the roots a strong foot hold for when the feeding starts. Which today I started with 2 tbs/g of Big Bloom and gave each plant a 1/2 gallon. Depending how they react to the food, I will slowly add in the other nutrients to the mix over the next week or 2. Currently they are drinking 1.5L per watering every other day. The SSH could probably take it every day as its bucket is dry by the next days morning and the Cobras still has a little weight to it.
I'll also be turning on the MH as soon as the day time temps settle down a little. We have a possible heat wave coming through so probably after this last little summer hurah.

View attachment 20170923_055905.jpg

View attachment 20170923_055920.jpg

View attachment 20170923_055929.jpg

I just felt like sharing this too. It's why you will find me growing bag seed from time to time. I know 9 out of 10 times its full of problems whether it be a herm, bad genetics, poor mold resistance or just plain male. But I only keep seeds from bags that stand out from the rest so its at least a good start.
this year I had 8 bag seeds going and not a single 1 made it to harvest. Lost 4 to male, 1 grew so stunted it barley made 8 inches in 3 months. And the 3 that made it to flower ALL were over come by mold and bud rot, even though the days where sunny and dry. 1 of them also had a caterpillar infestation so that may have cause the bud rot on that plant. It was odd, all the plants were close together but only that one had caterpillars.

ANY WAYS, so all my bag seeds failed this year. BUT I did give a few to a friend to try a few. He manage to get 2 to flower without issues and one of them is exactly why I DO grow bag seeds from time to time.

When you open his tent the smell is super sweet and fruity. I should have given some sort of size reference in the picture but the 2 buds on top closest to the main stock are about the size of a small fist. I forget the nutrients he uses but he grows under 1 300w vispectra and 2 150w HPS lights. He averages 6-7 oz a plant pretty consistently.

View attachment workers comp (1).jpg

View attachment workers comp (2).jpg

View attachment workers comp (3).jpg

View attachment workers comp (4).jpg

View attachment IMG_20170923_173618_247.jpg

When i grew ssh the leaves started out fat like an indica but got a lot skinnier as she matured.

I gave them their first real feeding today since after getting a small taste last week their growth jumped. So Today they got 6tsp BigBloom, 1tsp Boomerang, .5tsp HolyMackeral
Mixed it up in a gallon jug, ph'd it to 6.6 and gave each 1/2.
When I got home from work they were noticeably happier.

5th week, If both plants where the same size I would be flippin the switch to 12/12 but Im harvesting my outdoor in the next day or 3. Once the tent Im using to dry is available, I might move the Cobra into that tent to keep it in veg while I flip the SSH.

During the week the SSH has been a thirsty girl she easily drinks 1/2 gal a day. while the Cobra barely takes 1/3 gal every other day. Both show good healthy growth. The Haze has nice long branches that I started to tie down so they grow outwards and offset from the branch below or above to cover as much area as possible.

SSH on the left, Golden Cobra on the right

View attachment 20170930_144925.jpg

View attachment 20170930_144945.jpg

View attachment 20170930_144952.jpg

Latest posts

Back