long time smoker/short time grower

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

night501

night501
Reaction score
hi everyone my name is jon.
iv been (trying) to gro for the first time.
funding at the moment is a big factor since im laid off and on unemployment but i think i have a workable setup.
i started germinating mary in soil using miracle grow potting soil using the bottom half of a water bottle.
after about a week i tranfered into a 2 quart container using the same potting soil.
lighting was an issue since im low on funding but i found 2 florecent lights(bought from spencers gifts years ago) i also have a 60w since im growing in a armoire in a basement and i needed an extra heat source.otherwize i was just above 50F, brought me to 80F
the walls, inner door,and floor are lined in aluminum foil.i made a aluminum foil dome that can travel vertically
i only have the room for 1 plant so i started with 10 seeds and after 2 weeks picked the stongest looking one and scraped the rest.
i have the lights on 24/7 and am watering twice a day with a spray bottle and bottled water(we have harsh well water).im a little upset after reading these forums cause im not seeing anywhere near the growth that iv seen. its been about 3 weeks since she (hopefully) sprouted and the second set of ribbed leaves are just starting to sprout. she also isnt as green as i have expected. i mean she is green but more of a pastel green.any advice is greatly appreciated. keep in mind i have to do with what i have around the house.

Welcome :cool: 24H lighting ins't going to help>it'll just make it take longer. Vegetation requires around 18/6 schedule while flowering should be induced by a 12/12 schedule.

thanks for the welcome.
iv actualy heard that if you do it gradualy from a 12/12 to a 10/14 or an 8/16 light cycle you can get good results from flowering. dont know if its true.

caribbean_smoker_20 said:
Welcome :cool: 24H lighting ins't going to help>it'll just make it take longer. Vegetation requires around 18/6 schedule while flowering should be induced by a 12/12 schedule.
Hey caribbean smoker, I don't think I understand what you mean by "24H lighting isn't going to help>it'll just make it take longer".

Would you explain that to me please?

I said Hi to you in another post night501, but Hello again!

night501 said:
iv actualy heard that if you do it gradualy from a 12/12 to a 10/14 or an 8/16 light cycle you can get good results from flowering. dont know if its true.
When a MJ plant is in the vegetative cycle, you would use 24/7 or even 18/6, on/off cycles. When in flowering, you would use 12/12.

I'm not sure, but it sounded like you were looking at it backwards. Maybe it was just the way I read it.

Stoney_Bud, I wanted to get some clarity on the 24/7 lighting in the veg state but kinda came up blank so I kinda jumped to that conclusion:( .I think I read somewhere that a 24hr light cylce is capable of burning?Is this true?

Welcome to the neighborhood, I use 24/0 for veg and a **very strict** 12/12 for flowering. Enjoy the site

Stoney_Bud, I wanted to get some clarity on the 24/7 lighting in the veg state but kinda came up blank so I kinda jumped to that conclusion:( .I think I read somewhere that a 24hr light cylce is capable of burning?Is this true?

I think as long as your lights are the proper distance and you have good ventilation you will be fine with a 24/0. I use it and get no burn.

Stoney_Bud, I wanted to get some clarity on the 24/7 lighting in the veg state but kinda came up blank so I kinda jumped to that conclusion:( .I think I read somewhere that a 24hr light cycle is capable of burning?Is this true?
No, the plant benefits from the continuous light during the vegetative cycle. The distance the bulb heat is from the plant is what determines if it will cause a burn or not.

^^My mistake.What's a good distance?2" from the top of the plant?

It depends on the kind of bulb really. A tequnique I use is hold your hand at the top of your plants and keep it there for a minute, if you feel the heat, so does your plant so your light is probably too close. 18-24" for my HPS 1-4" for my cfls

Latest posts

Back