light and space

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallslim

Reaction score
I'm trying to veg three mothers and fifty clones. What should be an adequite space for the grow and what size light? I was thinking about a four hundred watt mh hortilux, or should I go bigger. I just what adequite lighting and space. What i want to do is veg the mothers, then cut clones and veg them for about two months. Once the clones root i'm going to put them in thier final two gallon grow bags.

50 clones, even at 4" per., would require somewhere arond 15 sq ft. If my math is right. IMO, a 400 would be inadequate to veg that many for two months. By the 2 month mark, they would/should be in at least 1 gallon(8") pots. Now you're looking at 30 sq.ft.
(13 watts p/sq.ft.)..or so.

tallslim said:
I'm trying to veg three mothers and fifty clones. What should be an adequate space for the grow and what size light? I was thinking about a four hundred watt mh hortilux, or should I go bigger. I just what adequate lighting and space. What i want to do is veg the mothers, then cut clones and veg them for about two months. Once the clones root I'm going to put them in their final two gallon grow bags.
You've said you're going to grow 50 clones for 8 weeks of vegetative growth and another 8-10 weeks of flowering growth of which 2-4 weeks of will still be rapid growth. That means that you have to plan on plants that are growing rapidly for 12 weeks, to play it safe. A 2 gallon plastic bag full of dirt isn't going to be an adequate amount of space for the root system of a 12 week old MJ plant in rapid growth. I would advise you to use a 5 gallon bag if you have to use bags.

A MJ plant at 12 weeks in dirt, using hydro nutes at half strength, will get to about 4 feet tall if you use maximum LST and HST. They can each fill a 3 x 3 foot area. That's EACH plant. Times 50, and you'll need one hell of a lot of space to grow all 50 plants to their potential. About a 21 x 21 foot area. That's 441 square feet.

Here's how I arrived at that answer; each plant needs about a 3 x 3 area. That's 9 square feet. You have 50 plants. 9 times 50 is 450 square feet of growing area you'll need. The square root of 450 is 21 and change. That means you'll need a 21 x 21 foot area to provide a 3 x 3 area for each plant.

It would take about 9 400 watt lights on 3 foot light movers to provide enough light to be the MINIMUM needed. Twice that in stationary positions to provide the maximum of light that the plants can use.

If you use 1000 watt lights, you'll have to have a ceiling height of at least 10 feet unless you're going to use LST all the way to the end of the flowering cycle.

You'll need to provide us with more information about your space restrictions before an accurate estimation can be calculated for your grow.

Good luck to you.

Latest posts

Back