New on the scene

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

picklesoup

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new to the growing world and so I've joined some forums to get helpful hints from those more experienced than myself. Currently looking for advice on how to set up a small, cheap-ish indoor setup. Thanks!

Welcome to MP. First thing I would recommend if you are new to growing is going through the stickies at the top of the page forum sections.

Welcome pickle! Glad you found us. Are you thinking a tent grow? Let us know how we can help.

Hey pickle, welcome to mp. It doesn't get much simpler than my indoor growbox. I grow outside when the season is right because I have very precious little space to do it indoor in my little home. Here is what I use and this is located in a small storage/shop shed that I have. Also one reason I grow outdoors in summer is because the heat generated by just about any lighting system would require a cooling system at least where I live in summer. So this box (and hopefully you'll have more room than me) is 2'x2'x4' tall. Covered inside with reflective plastic material. For lights I am using off the shelf led lights from Home Depot. In fact everything I used in constructing my grow box is from the depot. Only the soil, nutes and pots come from an actual growstore. Most might laugh at the stuff I am using but it has worked for me on the scale I use it and it works well and pretty cheap at that.
Anyway other than some wire and a few fixtures, here is what it is...
You can see that I have modified the bulbs by cutting the reflector off with a dremel saw. You could use something else to cut this but that's what I had. I also use four PC fans for ventilation. 2 pointing in at the bottom and 2 pointing out near the top. There is also a small fan inside to stir things up. I use the daybright 5000k bulbs and then swap in a couple of warmer colored 2700k lights for flower. The lights are on a timer for veg and flower. Study up around here and other places and get going!!! Good luck with your new hobby....
Edit: I'm going to add two more bulbs before my next grow giving me a total of 116 watts and make them height adjustable. It works It works in this small small space.

View attachment IMG_1556.JPG

View attachment IMG_1555.JPG

View attachment IMG_1552.JPG

View attachment IMG_1554.JPG

View attachment IMG_1553.JPG

Welcome to MP!

First maybe we should know what you mean by small and what you mean by cheap-ish. I have found those are relative terms and what one person thinks is small is not to another person--the same with cheap-ish. So what size are you thinking about and what is your budget? This is one of those hobbies that does require certain things or you are not going to get much out of it. And as it is about a 4 month process from seed to smoke, we hate to see someone spend 4 months pouring love and energy into their plants to only end up with a very small about of bud.

I am a big fan of grow tents. They come in a bunch of different sizes and are easy to put up, move, and take down. A good tent will provide the 100% dark you need during flowering--something that can be hard to get in a closet.

So, why don't you expand a bit on your post and let us know your specific circumstances and we will better be able to help you.

I agree with THG. If I were starting over again with what I have learned it would mean a couple things.

Two Tents. One for Veg and One for Flowering. The Flowering Tent would be bigger and a bit taller than the Veg tent.
Lighting would be HO T5's for Veg and a LED Setup for Flower.
PH meter, not strips.
A good inline fan for Flowering.
Small fans for stirring the air inside the tents.
A good pair of pruning shears.
A hanging drying rack for the finished buds.

Great list Hamster. I'm a big fan of having both a vegging and a flowering tent.

Hey guys, do you keep your flower tent in a different room than the veg tent? I have never seen a tent that is actually light proof. Seems there would be a lot of light leakage for the flower tent.

Hey guys, do you keep your flower tent in a different room than the veg tent? I have never seen a tent that is actually light proof. Seems there would be a lot of light leakage for the flower tent.

I have always kept my flower and veg tents in the same room. There has never been enough of a light leak to cause a problem. My Flower Tent is far enough from my Veg tent that there is no way any small leak could cause problems. I would worry more about turning the room light on during dark period. And even then I have not had problems.

Hello Picklesoup! welcome to MP. Btw, my name is Ron i'm here to learn too. Btw, do you watch Rick and Morty? It is because of your name is like Pickle Rick!
p14344739_e_v8_aa.jpg

Latest posts

Back