Cheap way to chill water?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chen

Reaction score
I've got a large AC but since the temps have gone down in the past month it's not necessary and it's kind of suspicious to turn it on.

I know there are dedicated water chillers but they're really expensive here ($500 and up), so is there anything you guys use to chill your water besides that?

Thanks.

If you can find a nice compact fridge, you can convert that to work like a water chiller. I think they are cheaper to get but you will have to do the engineering of the water chiller setup. We can help guide you if you need it. :)

years ago I did hydro and used frozen 16oz water bottles placed in rez and changed every day

I would prefer to maybe reuse a small AC? That way I can have the heated portion outside the room and cooling portion inside it. Any ideas?

Just the condenser off a fridge and desk fan will do nicely```

seth

I'm cheap so when I do a res change I mix 6.5 gallons of ph and nute water. Six for the res and a half for the freezer. The res starts at 65 and I tie a couple of blue ice packs to the outside of the res. Twice a day I draw down res water from my drain to the half full picher of frozen water. I let it chill some and pour back in. I do this a couple of time or more as to draw the temp down slowly. When I get it back to 65, I swap out the ice packs and I'm good for another ten hours or so depending on how hot it is. This does not have to be done as much during flower or when it is cool enough to open a window. That's why I usually only grow in the winter. When my nute water runs low I ph water with no nutes and freeze that until the next res change. Works great and the oxygen level runs higher but you can't leave for days at a time.

Latest posts

Back