dirt mix help please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edward

Reaction score
i got 5 bag seed( skunk ) and a 5 gallon plastic pot and a 400 watt hps and floros for the seedlings , i am going with pot of gold potting soil what should i mix with the soil and what %. can i keep it really simple on nutes somehow,i normaly do it outside but i lost way to much last year in alaska. i just got my med. crd so this is a test run b 4 i buy beans. thanx

Hi,

If you can get some worm castings from a good garden store or hydro/indoor gardening store they are a nice addition to your soil mix. Also some chunky perlite will loosen up soil to help drainage if your soil seems to compact easily. You can add some sweet lime to the soil to help with your ph too. To keep it simple with nutes might I suggest a one part organic nute. You'll need a one part grow nute favoring nitrogen in veg growth and a bloom nute favoring phosphorous and potassium. Some great brands include EarthJuice, PureBlend Pro and Bio Biz. Or if you want to use conventional non organic nutes General Hydroponics FloraNova Grow and Bloom are a good choice and Foxfarm has Tiger Bloom which is a 'mostly' organic or organic-based nute.

In the future you might want to try a more heavily amended soil mix that is store ready to grow such as Roots Organics soil mix or another popular brand - Foxfarm Ocean Forest soil. With these soil mixes being 'hotter' and having more organic amendments you'll be able to feed from the bottle less as the soil will provide a greater share of the plants required nutrients. Some growers like me really load up and feed their soil with organic amendments and only feed their plants water most of the time with occasional feeds of Cal-Mag, Humic and fulvic acid and molasses to keep the organic activity in the soil happy. Others prefer more neutral soil mixes and relying on leaning on nute bottles for all the plant's needs.

Different strokes for different folks...:rolleyes:

Happy Growing!:cool:

Check out subcools super soil it is stickied at the top of one of these sections, he has a list of things he amends his soil with, it will give you a good idea of what you will want to use. Like DOS said it really depends on what and how your planning on feeding your plants.

Latest posts

Back