NV's organic soil mix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
right on, i was just asking too! i am no means trying to stir up anything! i am as cool as an Eskimo! hahahahaha!!!

i am merely trying to give advice from past experience, and what ive been told directly...

i do hope that MM does figure out what is the issue, as the mix is such a delight to use once it is all dialed!!

when I have a question, i just pm NC, we all know he's busy, as the rest of us, I too am still earning. NC is a book of knowledge, that i have only just cracked open i feel!!! i feel privileged just to know him online..

anyhow.....MM.....i do apologize if i have pissed you off........lets just get that stuff workin for ya, cool? you will love it, i promise!!

Rosebud said:
I told NC that he would not be held responsible for my dirt. I followed it as much as I could, but I am an old gardener and I do a lot by feel and intuition, so it is in no way exact. I will water more as soon as it warms up outside and then cook a couple more months I guess.

I love how it looks so far and I love growing my own dirt! It's all good.

Exactly!!!!

How warm is it in the room its cooking now?

I believe its outdoors in a compost tumbler if I remember correctly. I need to buy something myself that holds around 35 gallons of hot medium to cook. How much are the plastic kid pools at say walmart? I was also looking at 32 gallon trash cans. Im afraid it would be hard to turn over without having dump it out every time.

Drfting is right, it is outside on the patio in a huge tumbler that is so heavy it is hard to tumble, but it is do-able. It warmed up to the 50's yesterday, but that is unusual for this time of year. I don't want to grow this summer, so it may have to set a long time. We will see. to be cont......

Baby pools for the win! $20 @ many stores. They usually start stocking them pretty soon for summer. They do sell fast. They stack in each other easy. Buy a couple. When you churn the mix in them. Over time the shovel will make holes in the plastic. I just tossed my first one from 09'. Probably mixed 7 batches in ot or so.

So, decided to steer away from the soybean meal as well and go with high N Guano. Its easier for me to source and its cheaper in the long run. As rosebud has said, this is by no means "Nouvelles Mix" but his recipe and tips do have a lot of influence. At the same time, im not holding it against anyone or giving any one person credit. Its a hybrid.

Teas will be a must then. Guano burns even faster than castings. 30 day max. Your gonna need heavy nitrogen later on for a heavy feeder.

If MM is right and most feed stores here have it than ill use it. Im trying to avoid ordering anything.

How long does the alfalfa burn for? ide figure that in conjunction with the guano the Nitrogen would stretch a bit more. One feeding every month is fine with me anyway. What would i do with all my other time if all i had to do is water?

Happy Growing
Drfting07

Fish Meal is a long lasting nitrogen source also. 9-4-1 from Dr. Earth and its rich in trace minerals.

I live in cattle country and feed stores are a dime a dozen. I can buy soybean meal for less than $20 for a 50 lb bag. It's a little bit seasonal, though. The feed store that I use only stocks it during FFA show season. I don't know enough about it to know why. Something about the higher protein content.

I don't know how it would work in NC's recipe but cottonseed meal is pretty good too. It provides slightly less nitrogen than soybean but not by much.

Fish also burns quick. Cottonseed is too acidic. That is why it was deleted from the recipe. Alfalfa burnS about like fish meal. Provides enough in veg.

The critical thing is flowering at the right time and the pot/mix is potent and enough volume to sustain it thru flowering. We should not ever be seeing def plants when running ammemdments. Ever. Just no need. No salt build up can occur. Thats why I luv soybean. Burns hot and long. But the rule still applies. Enough mix vs time you flip/size of plant. We already know the amount of cal/mag they will eat along w/ nitrogen. When you can unleash a 17 weeks girl that is lush w/out a hitch. You know you found somethin special.

Just made a call to southern states, my local garden center. I feel like an idiot now, they have it in stock, in grain form @ $15 for 50lbs. Guess ill be using that. Thanks NV

I also took some time to read about the soybean, cottonseed and other organic sources for nitrogen. Soybean won in long lasting burn.

nouvellechef said:
Teas will be a must then. Guano burns even faster than castings. 30 day max. Your gonna need heavy nitrogen later on for a heavy feeder.
:yeahthat:

Something I'm trying out for long term host plants is Peruvian Seabird guano.

Very slow release and is recommended that it be added to the mix. I can see why. I top dressed a couple of plants ~6 weeks ago and those pellets still aren't broken down.:holysheep:

Only got a 2# bag of it since it's just for mother plants.

*For me*, and I use smaller amounts of the soy/alfalfa than NC, I figure 6 weeks max for the burn and will top dress with more after about a month to give it a couple of weeks to kick in. This is mostly for container veggies that are going for several months. For mj, the mix will be slightly hotter, but will still get the top dress.

I'm also going to experiment with some ESPOMA for top dressing. It's good stuff, but mainly it's sheer laziness on my part. LOL, what hurts my back and RA the most is measuring out and mixing up my amendments. I go around and get enough for 2cf (wheelbarrow full), of everything and put in old coffee cans. Different blends and amounts for fresh mix, recycled mix and top dressing. I keep the Norco handy. LOL

Wet

So I have been in "the big city" buying stuff I could find for the soil. I ordered the rest online...and woke up to this this morning and 4-6 more inches predicted....winter in the mountains.

I think I am going to clear out a spot in my junk room, put the 30 gal barrel in there and get things started. Still looking for a source (online) for soybean meal.

Compost Tumbler 001-1.jpg

nouvellechef said:
Heres one. Kinda spendy.

hxxp://www.groworganic.com/organic-soybean-meal-7-2-1-6-lb-box.html

THG, I got mine ^, but the shipping is more then the meal, but I did it anyway. I couldn't find it here, which is weird since this area has lots of farming communities.

Try these guys THG, this is where i got my rice hulls, they pretty much have everything.
they have a 40 lb bag as well.

hxxp://www.groworganic.com/organic-soybean-meal-7-2-1-6-lb-box.html

Latest posts

Back