glopal's First Grow - Indoor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glopal

Reaction score
Start Date: May 24, 2008
Days in: 3

My first grow! The germinated seeds are now in the pots.

Here are the specs for the sprouting stage.

Soil Mix:
4 parts top soil (best I could find)
1 part Schultz Potting Soil (0.012-0.18-0.012)(Has some perlite in it)
2 parts Vermeculite
A small handful of
Dolimite Lime

Lighting:
Two 23 watt CFLs, 2ft above the pots.

Sprout/Veg Box:
1.5 x 2 x 3.8 ft

I'm still figuring out how big I want my flowering box, probably going to start building it this week. I'm going out to buy a 400 watt HPS ballast with a son agro bulb, and mylar, etc.

Questions:

1. When should I throw the plants under the 400 watt light?

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Box.JPG

BoxTop.JPG

LightsClose.JPG

LightsOn.JPG

PotsClose.JPG

PotsFar.JPG

Hey there, sounds like everything is in order.
So the way you have it at the moment is just momentarily is it? I started in a box this year as well since I had nothing else. They are handy "grow-on-the-go" boxes. Only suitable for CFL's in my opinion.
I'm not positive about the light question so I'll let someone else answer that one!
Goodluck on your grow.

Hey glopal Id get some more 23 watters, maybe 2 more. Put the lights closer to the pot. Also Id build a wood box rather then a carboard box IMO it can cause alot of problems. I'll wait till the plants are anywhere between 2-4 weeks old and then Id toss them under to 400.

i'd throw them under the 400 as soon as it comes in. make sure you have the temps controlled though and you have a fan on them to strengthen the stems. also if you can, go to wal-mart and buy an emergency blanket in the camping isle. its cheap mylar that works wonders. will be a great reflector even if u decide to veg for a while under the cfl's. good luck

MeNtAlPaTiEnT said:
...So the way you have it at the moment is just momentarily is it?...
REDz said:
Hey glopal Id get some more 23 watters, maybe 2 more. Put the lights closer to the pot. Also Id build a wood box rather then a carboard box IMO it can cause alot of problems. I'll wait till the plants are anywhere between 2-4 weeks old and then Id toss them under to 400.
Yup, its temporary. I am going to build a wooden box, with intake, exhaust, the whole deal. I will go tommorrow and buy more lights, higher wattage. As for the lights, smokeybear told me to have them 2ft away for the first few days, then drop it down to 1ft away.

SmknWhiteWidow said:
...also if you can, go to wal-mart and buy an emergency blanket in the camping isle. its cheap mylar that works wonders. will be a great reflector even if u decide to veg for a while under the cfl's. good luck
Great idea! I'll get one for this box, but I'm going to buy mylar for my wooden one.

I'd paint it white- forget the mylar-

just my 2cents- good luck with your grow! it a lot of fun!

Ilikebigbuds said:
I'd paint it white- forget the mylar-

just my 2cents- good luck with your grow! it a lot of fun!

Was thinking about that, what kind of paint is the best to use?

glopal said:
Yup, its temporary. I am going to build a wooden box, with intake, exhaust, the whole deal. I will go tommorrow and buy more lights, higher wattage. As for the lights, smokeybear told me to have them 2ft away for the first few days, then drop it down to 1ft away.

Yea that's fine too, Good luck man, Hope to see some sprouts soon!
PS. IMO mylar is better and less messy.

mylar is proven to be more reflective and doesn't have hot spots that aluminum foil has. white paint isnt bad though

Quick Update

Added 42 watts to my sprout box (Total 88 watts), no sprouts yet but I am expecting them tommorrow or the day after.

I bought a thermometer with a wired probe that tells you the temperature and the humidity. Currently, the temperature is 76.2F and the humidity is at 29%.
Do you think the air needs any adjustments?

In other news I've started constuction on my flowering box. I have the frame built with 2x2s. The dimensions are 1.25 x 1.5 x 4.5, which is 8.4sq/ft. I'm going to use a 400 watt HPS, so that gives me 47 watts per sq/ft, which is pretty good.

Expected another update with more pics in the next couple days.

Latest posts

Back