Rat in my growoom

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zem

Reaction score
I have a growroom window behind it a table which holds my flood tray, where I had plants in small pots that I am keeping as strains. Suddenly I find a plant falling down with its stem almost entirely nibbled through, then I noticed several others that have something eating on their stem. I immediately suspected a rat or mouse, and decided to transplant them and to cut clones from the fallen one. I did so and kept inspecting. Then I find right in front of the window door damning evidence! Rat **** right in front of me, then I observed entire leaves that had been eaten! I went and bought a good rat poison took one chunk that is 1.5"x1.5" size and placed it right next to the poo infront of the window, when I observed other more fresh droppings as well. One day passed and there was no sign of anything, I suspected it might have fled. Then the next day that was yesterday, I saw that the cube had been nib bled and a small piece eaten out of its corner. This poison does not kill instantly so that the rat does not know what is making it ill. The same day at night I go in, I see that the cube had been snatched down to the corner with about half of it eaten! Today I went in, I turned off the fan and made an easy escape route for the rat that way. I am worried that it dies inside where it would make horrible odours before I can find it. This poison also acts slowly so it makes the rat do stupid things, so the next time that I went in today to turn the fan back on, I heard a noise then the damn thing ran across the wire that is in the room next to my growroom and it freaked me out. Although I intentionally knock and bump and do commotion to scare it into hiding as I am going in, this time it is disoriented. It went to the corner behind the door and hid behind or inside a rug that is rolled up straight there. I looked and it had eaten a lot of leaves maybe trying to self medicate from poisoning. I turned the fan on and jumped out of that tight space. Before it was poisoned, it did not scare me because it used to hide whenever I was in. Now I am only hoping that it finds its way out before it dies. I am scared to go inside but I really have to. I guess that I will wear some thick clothing like a jeans jacket and be careful not to corner a poisoned rat. The poison is guaranteed to kill it but it could take 3 days. I had never thought about this pest before. Unchecked, it can destroy an entire growroom in a week easily. Just wanted to share with you

I would flat out die. I would be dead under my plants. I can do snakes and spiders no prob, but a mouse makes me act so ridiculous. I would die if a rat was in my grow. zem, don't go back in there without a hazmat suit on. Oxygen tank, etc.

Let us know what happens... this is freaking me out. good luck. Let us know.

Load up a little peanut butter on a spring trap and you know when you get'm and you can get'm outa there. I never cared for poison just cuz you can't control where they die... in your case you may have to load the trap with weed cuz now that they have a taste.....
Good luck!

Ditto... a spring trap is where I would go.

Good luck. I freaked out when I found a tiny field mouse in my room once. LOL

I would flat out die. I would be dead under my plants. I can do snakes and spiders no prob, but a mouse makes me act so ridiculous. I would die if a rat was in my grow. zem, don't go back in there without a hazmat suit on. Oxygen tank, etc.

Let us know what happens... this is freaking me out. good luck. Let us know.

I get what you are saying about acting ridiculous, like what the brown cockroach does to me. It is not that I am scared of rats, it is that the place is tight and I sense there could be real danger if the rat is cornered and poisoned. I still have not dared to open the door since the last time. I came here to regain my strength, I have to go in one more time. I will put a hat and long jeans sleeves, no gloves. I will make it as quick as I can.

Load up a little peanut butter on a spring trap and you know when you get'm and you can get'm outa there. I never cared for poison just cuz you can't control where they die... in your case you may have to load the trap with weed cuz now that they have a taste.....
Good luck!

Lol I hope it don't eat buds as well. until now it only ate leaves

Yeah well I should have used a trap maybe, but it is too late now. I just have to wait for it to die

I went in and to my surprise I found that the entire poison cube is now gone! I am afraid that there might be more than one rat in there, or that the same rat ate all of it in 2 days

I went in and to my surprise I found that the entire poison cube is now gone! I am afraid that there might be more than one rat in there, or that the same rat ate all of it in 2 days

Or you got mutants who are immune to rat poison.

Good luck!

Right on the money. Use Traps.
Poison can leave them in your walls and places you cant get too untill its to late. The smell ,,not to mention maggots.

I can see no reason that you cannot still use a trap. As I live in farm country with fields everywhere, we always have mice (I have never caught one munching on my cannabis though). I never use poison like Decon for several reasons, but mostly because I have seen what it does to critters. Even mice and rats do not deserve to die like that. Also, mice and rats do not have the mental capability to understand that you have left them an escape route. When startled, they are going to seek safety, which to them is somewhere they can hide--the big outdoors does not look safe. I don't really think it sounds like the rat was necessarily disoriented--just acting like rats and mice do. I run into tons and tons of critters in crawl spaces. While it won't hurt to wear heavy clothing and gloves, I doubt that you are going to be attacked.

As a side note, when you find the dead rat, please dispose of it in a way that other animals (like dogs and cats) that scavenge do not find and eat it. If you killed it with poison, any animal eating the dead rodent can be affected by the poison and become very sick or die.

I agree with THG. I have hunted and killed for food. I have killed animals that could harm my family of crops,,,but i have never used poison. Animals should never suffer like that regardless of what they have done. Spring traps are very quick. Or use cage traps like i do with animals and take them somewhere far away and release them. Rats i kill with spring traps and dispose of them. By the way,,they love grapes.

I am afraid that there can be more than one rat. I am normally not scared from them but I am finding it difficult to stay in the tight space knowing that there are rats in there that can startle me at any second. I am 100% sure that they were munching on my plants. I suspected a rodent before I saw any droppings. I did not use a trap because I have seen them work to catch a couple of rats then the others learn and stop falling into it and then it needs some time to install and inspect, time that I did not have, knowing that they were eating the plants and knowing that I am overly busy with a work project. It is quite a serious problem to me because I am unable to work in my growroom at all. I am going in like scared holding a stick making some noises and always edgy. It is not fun.

Sorry zem, i hope you can put traps everywhere and catch them all. yikes.. Good luck, i am on your side.

Geeze, would you hurry up and set some traps and catch these things. This thread is freaking me out. Every time I read it I get chills. LOL

There's not a lot that scares me and I have picked up things that the Croc Hunter wouldn't touch. But, rats freak me out. LOL

Do you have a flute? ;)

Thanks Rose, I am glad that you understand me. It is looking worse... I have no time for this. I was scared to go in because I heard something move. I need to go in it is tight and there are rats. I will try again have to turn on the lights. It is worse than I thought. Wish me luck

Latest posts

Back