Floranova nutrient

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rascal

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls
Using flora nova nutes in soil ,should I adjust the ph when using or not and when watering in general . My local grow shop says you don't have to and will kill all the beneficials in soil if you do ,but some say you should even a seed bank website ?
PH of my tap water is 7

If you are going into fertile organic soil that already has a microbe herd established, They will control the pH of the soil until they die off. If you want to maintain the microbe herd, you will have to maintain ~6.8pH in your solutions, and you will have to feed them some molasses periodically.
If you don't care about maintaining the microbe herd, then you will want to maintain ~5.9-6.2pH in your solutions.

Did I get this right? Your grow shop said that pHng the soil will kill beneficials?!?

Actually, the Flora Nova will kill off the beneficials, not pHing the solution, unless of course you use chemical pHing solutions.. Chemical nutrients (and additives) and organic grows are not compatible. If you are using Flora Nova you will need to check your pH and adjust if necessary. If you are doing an entirely organic grow (but if you are using Flora Nova you are not) you do not need to pH as the soil feeds the plants.

thg, so does the orange colored ph down solution kill the microbes?? i had no idea that it would. thanks.

No my growshop said if l adjust the ph of water or nutes it will kill of the beneficials in the soil.
Dont think lm organic the soil is a 60/40 coco mix .So l do alter the ph then with floranova ?

LOL--that is actually what I meant. Using Flora Nova will kill the beneficials in the soil, whether you adjust your pH or not. But the answer is, yes, you do need to adjust the pH of your Flora Nova nutrient solution before you feed the plants. PH for soil grows should be between about 6.5 and 6.8.

Let's go back to what your grow shop said for a minute so you have a better understanding of beneficials. Beneficials are microbes that live in the soil and convert raw materials to nutrients for the plants. They can only live in a chemical free environment. So any time you put chemical nutrients or additives into the soil, you are going to kill the beneficials. You are either 100% organic or you are not--there is no such thing as partially organic. With organic grows, you generally do not need to adjust the pH as the soil feeds the plants. With chemical nutrients, like Flora Nova, you always need to adjust the pH of the nutrient solution as that is what feeds the plants. And plants only uptake nutrients at certain pH levels.

You might want to find another source of information rather than your grow shop. If they do not know that using Flora Nova kills beneficials and that the solution does need to be pH adjusted, they are simply not very well informed.

Thanks for the info on organics ,don't think there for me lol .
So I will be adjusting my ph and see how l get on then . :48:

If you are using 60/40 coco as medium, what is the other component? If its pearlite then you will need to run your pH lower. There is something about the chemical functions of coco that makes it do better at lower pH around 6.0-6.3, unless you have a different component with the coco that offsets that affect. You will also need to get some calmag additive and begin using with waterings to prevent magnesium deficiency that happens often with coco. I treat my coco with it before planting in it. I also found it necessary to wash and dry my coco to flush out any salts that get left behind in the processing of the coir.

If you are using 60/40 coco as medium, what is the other component? If its pearlite then you will need to run your pH lower. There is something about the chemical functions of coco that makes it do better at lower pH around 6.0-6.3, unless you have a different component with the coco that offsets that affect. You will also need to get some calmag additive and begin using with waterings to prevent magnesium deficiency that happens often with coco. I treat my coco with it before planting in it. I also found it necessary to wash and dry my coco to flush out any salts that get left behind in the processing of the coir.

This is the medium Hushpuppy
It’s 40% coco, 60% peat and contains both calcium & magnesium at just the right ratio (2:1)

It’ll hold a lot of water, since it’s 60% fine grade Irish peat. For strong rooting, the mix is 40% high grade coco - ithis gives it a light & airy structure.

It’s easy to dispose of once used - there’s no perlite in Tropic Mix. There are no woody bits either, to help you avoid fungus gnats!

To prevent deficiencies & enhance nutrient uptake, Tropic Mix contains an actual magnesium limestone, a rich source of calcium & magnesium! The coco has been buffered with calcium, too! All Ca & Mg is released slowly so is available to plants over 9 months.

Forget about pH dips or spikes - the peat is treated with lime to raise the pH to 6.5 (ideal). As for the coco, it’s incredibly stable. The magnesium limestone balances your pH, too!

Overall, the CF is 14 (EC 1.4). You can transplant cuttings straight into the media without shocking or over fertilising plants.

• 60% fine grade Irish peat (holds a lot of water)
• 40% high quality coco (light & airy for rapid rooting)
• Medium fertilised, strength of CF 14 (EC 1.4)
• Highly refined with stable pH (peat treated with lime)
• Contains calcium and magnesium (at ideal ratio of 2:1)
• No perlite (easy to dispose of)
• No woody bits (avoid fungus gnats)
• Contains an actual magnesium limestone!(balances pH & adds calcium & magnesium)
• Cuttings can be transplanted straight into the media
• For first 2 weeks just add water, then on include nutrient too

That sounds good. It sounds like the manufacturer decided to correct the issues with the coco and peat by pretreating it with the lime. Sounds like it should work good for you. :)

Latest posts

Back