? about roots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LassChance

Reaction score
So, Im trying a Hempy Soda Bottle grow. Ive got 7 2 liter bottles full of perlite/verm with a hole 2 " from the bottom. The plants are a month old now and look pretty much like all one-month old plants. Some are maybe 5 ", some 3-4, all look healthy.My question is...should I spray paint the bottles to keep light off the roots? If so...what color? white? to reflect light and heat...or black, which might absorb heat from the light (600HPS). So far, being small, the roots are hidden inside the perlite/verm and I cant see them at all. Im assuming as they grow, the roots will approach the sides of the bottles and Im pretty sure they dont like light. (or do they care?) If it makes any difference, some og the bottles are clear and some are green/clear.(7-Up)

Or maybe it doesnt matter? They look pretty cool, see-thru, LOL, but I really dont know if roots hate light or not.

Thanks

Lass

I would paint them white to prevent light hitting the roots and to absorb less heat. Is a 2-liter bottle a large enough container for the roots to grow as much as they want? I have grown plants in 1 gallon and 5 gallon pots, and by the time they are done flowering the ones in the 5 gallon pots are always bigger....

NYC_Diesel x Jack_Herer said:
I would paint them white to prevent light hitting the roots and to absorb less heat. Is a 2-liter bottle a large enough container for the roots to grow as much as they want? I have grown plants in 1 gallon and 5 gallon pots, and by the time they are done flowering the ones in the 5 gallon pots are always bigger....

Good question...and I dont have the answer YET. Im basing my experiment on somebody in here saying he had seen a SOG done in 32 oz.cups. This first batch is from seed, which I hope wont happen again. Once I know my fems and get some clones, IF this batch is looking OK, the clones will go into the hemppy-sofas and right into 12/12. I figure/guess/hope that clones, trimmed for single cola can mature in the bottles. I'll be the one weeping and blowing snot bubbles out my nose if it fails...so you'll recognise me. Soon as I learn how to post pics, I will. Ive read the kind instructions and I can click on the photo and resize it...but when I hit Manage Attachments and click on Browse...the page of pics that opens isnt the one I want, nor the pic I just re-sized...Im a noob ont the 'puter, too and seem to struggle with each new task I attempt. Im sure I'll get it, eventually.

Thanks for the good question...all I can say is, "beats me".
OK...off to do a lil painting...

Lass

resize your pic and then when you save it, save it to your desktop.
Then when you got to the advanced post section where you can load photos, click that browse button.....when the box pops open a little tab at the top can be clicked to bring a drop down menu, click on "desktop" and you should see your pic there.

Yeah it would be good to block any light from getting to the roots. I like NYCdiesel' suggestion of painting the bottles... Maybe a coat of spray on black rubber to block the light with another coat of white for reflection would be the way to go? I have some of the rubber spray from when I made a couple of bubblers a few years ago and it works and holds up well.

Happy Growing!:cool:

dirtyolsouth said:
Yeah it would be good to block any light from getting to the roots. I like NYCdiesel' suggestion of painting the bottles... Maybe a coat of spray on black rubber to block the light with another coat of white for reflection would be the way to go? I have some of the rubber spray from when I made a couple of bubblers a few years ago and it works and holds up well.

Happy Growing!:cool:

Spray rubber? That's a new one for me. I do have black spray paint, tho...and white, too. I'll try a coat of black, let it dry, then a coat of white. That oughta do it, dont you think?
Thyanks, guys.
Lass

Latest posts

Back