Build your own Odor Neutralizing Machine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i really think its more of an odor making device (when left on all the time) because the fan seems to pull the smell of the mixture out of the bucket by pulling air through the holes in the side and puttling it into the air and then the ONA "eats" the smell of the MJ and leaves behind the "fresh laundry sent"
but as ive spent part of the night looking for places that sell ONA i guess ill have to see if they have it at the local hydro shop because i looked for it at places that sells baby supplies such as babies r us and they dont have it

ONA sold here... along with other "odor killer" products.... I am not affiliated with them in anyway, but I have bought 2 400watt HPS lights from them and also plan on buying some reflectors.

They have an ebay store which might have this stuff also, their ebay prices are about HALF of what the costs are in the store directly.

http://www.htgsupply.com/productsubcategories.asp?categoryID=9

do a search on the forum for htgsupply and you'll find users who use them as well. good place!

ok so now that ive decided to build an ONA machiene for myself i only have one last question about it and that is how long will the mixture last at "eating" odor does it last a week a month or longer

just wanted to pop back in and say thanks for this wonderful freaking post cause now my house dont reek of growing plants (which has been overwelming) but now smells of fresh dryer sheets instead its perfect although i did change the set up a bit and heres how

items used

1. (1) 5 gal bucket with lid (job site)
2. (1) 1 Lb ONA block (local grow shop)
3. (1) 4" fan (Target)
4. (2) 8oz. soil moist tubs (local outdoor garden center)
5. drill with an 3/8" bit (had these)
6. lockblade knife (had this too)

just followed the instructions as laid out by Homemadegravity in this post and got it going used the knife to cut hole in the bucket lid and for the cord to come through the side of the bucket near the top (see pics) also had to use an ONA block instead of the gel liquid it took a bit to dissolve in the water but did after about 15 mins of mixing dissolved like soap in a tub added the soil moist and presto no more sweet sweet cheeba smell :( but thats the price of growing and haveing people over to your house and not wanting them to know :D

bucket started life like this.JPG

fan in the bucket lid.JPG

air holes the inside peek.JPG

air holes the outside look.JPG

hole for the plug and cord to get through.JPG

ONA block.JPG

soil moist (used 2 of them).JPG

my knife.JPG

the drill and bit.JPG

is it MASKING the smell or is it actually removing the smell? Carbon removes the odor instead of masking....

what do you think about it?

md.apothecary said:
is it MASKING the smell or is it actually removing the smell? Carbon removes the odor instead of masking....

what do you think about it?

id have to say its more of a masking machiene but its working wonders turned it on and in about 2-3 mins it was all i could smell in the whole house no more bathroom odors (cat box) no more laundry room odors (dirty clothes) and no more grow room odors (i miss them but ill live cause i can still get my nose right up in it) and i didnt put the machiene right in the grow room i put it in an ajoining one hope this helps

oh and an FYI on the one i built the total cost for it was $26.83 and thats for all the supplies that i needed to buy some of the items i didnt have to purchase(bucket and lid) and some were on the mark down racks (soil moist, which would have been the most expensive item)

Think there is a way to make one smaller so it doesn't deodorize the entire house? In a stealth grow, it's not quite so stealhy if youre just swapping odors. :) I need one that will do just my grow area. lol

smaller fan/bucket? or less ONA?

really you can do less of all of them i had thought about making one that will fit in a 2 quart pitcher youd still need a 4 inch fan on it cause i havent seen many smaller than that but shoot then it would most likely be 1/4 strength on all of the components id say about 1/4 lb ona 4oz soil moist and 3 cups of water and that should be good for a room thats 5x5

Ok imma going to try this.

I had a chance to swing by O.S.H. on my way to pick up pizza and they had the Soil Moist. $13.99 15 sumthin after tax. damn! they also had another brand of granule for absorbing called....Quench. it was a different ingredient so i opted for the Soil Moist since there was positive feedback here. Seemed really similar though when comparing by looks. it was only 9.99. i almost bought it.

The rest of the materials were over priced so i skipped them and will have to finish later. there was no way i was going to pay 40 bucks for their cheapest fan! :holysheep:

I need to make a run by my local donut shop in the morning as well. They sell buckets for a buck with lid. (and they smell like frosting so i like to stick my head in them and take a big WHIIIIIIIIIIF) haaaaaaaaaaa exhale........can't wait. LOL

anyway. I have a question for peeps who have built this.

What is the difference between ONA (odor nutrilizing agent) and say Fabreeze? Can someone post ingrediets to ONA or confirm if they work the same. Does fabreeze nutrilize odor or just mask it? I can't seem to find ONA but everyone has fabreeze. i suspect its much less.

One other thing. I noticed none of the kitty litters have the ingredients listed on the package. It seems that they have granule form also. not the clay stuff but granules. it also has the same warnings about "slippery when wet". This leads me to believe they may be of similar composition. anyone explored this? You could buy bags of that stuff for much less than "soil moisture". then just poor your odor nutrilzing solution of choice in it.

Peace

ok well i can try to givce you a few pointers on this and from your post i can say this

1. there is a difference between ONA and febreeze the ona is a organic gel that is formed in to a block its is about 8 bucks at any grow shop (hydro) febreeze is a liquid that will dilute its capabilitys in water ona is broken down in water from oil to water and "floats" in it the febreeze would jsut mix in and lose potency

2. i wouldnt use anything that is for cat p control to deoderize my house just something about the way the ammoniona in the cat products would stink after its wet and sits for a bit

sorry to hear that you go ripped so bad on the price of the soil moist how big was the container that you got i found mine at a garden shop was like $6.75 for an *oz jar and i had to get 2 so go figure 13.50+ tax for the pound

i wouldnt cut many corners on it i made one and its going strong i dont use it all day its on the timer for my veg box cause its on longer than my flower box but still covers all the smell

it is packaged in a jar that has a net weight of 1 lb.

I'm still holding out for the ONA then. They sell ONA as dissolved liquid. i've never seen a block. I'll pick that up tomorrow after my stop by the donut shop :hubba:

Thanks

yeah i was looking for the liquid gel that they have out on the market too but it wasnt to be found at any of the local shops here so i went with the block but it dissolved just fine with quite a bit of mixing

Just saw this thread. I've been racking my brains :hairpull: trying to figure out what I was going to do about my problem of odor since I need to get a plumber over here. I'm VERY nervous about having a stranger in my house at this time! Gonna try this before any one is allowed in. The grow room is too close to where I need repairs for my comfort and moving them elsewhere right now is NOT an option. I think this thread saved my bumm among other things! Thanks again for this tremendously useful thread!

i figured if i just put my grow in our laundry rm. , it would mask the odor of my mj , wrong... i'm on a mission today 2 find these things... thank you, thank you , thank you gravity...(my wife thanks you too)...:)

banjobuzz said:
i figured if i just put my grow in our laundry rm. , it would mask the odor of my mj , wrong... i'm on a mission today 2 find these things... thank you, thank you , thank you gravity...(my wife thanks you too)...:)

Wow might want to watch the heat and humidity when you use the dryer too, even with good ventilation in my laundry room i still notice huge increases in both when they are being used.

Got my machine built and running. I was pleasantly surprised by the clean laundry scent, very nice. Thanks again for this usefull gadget!

dubba man it would work better if you bought the ONA liquid and then added it to the soil moist diluted with water it looks like you bought the solid ONA. I use the liquid ONA and the skunkiness is gone, this stuff was made with the sole to cover up weed odor!

i want to know , when will this magic potion wear off , i mean this neuralizer will wear off later right ? like i must re do the mixes again to make it strong ,

how much time will it take to wear off , and thank you .

Latest posts

Back