gro-kashi

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that link is to a torrent for the book Totally Organic Hydroponics - Paul Wright. I think he calls it Organiponics. Has lots of great information and it should be in sync with the Global Bucket system, just without the use of buckets.

The kashi I think is suppose to be anaerobic. I don't like idea of bottom feeding. I'm not so much interested in flushing as I was in past. Seems unimportant. My nutrient line doesn't require flushes. It deals with it another way. Not suppose to ever give more than 5-10% runoff. Perhaps that was one of my problems last year. Flushes are actually harmfull to the way my nutrient line works. Herculean harvest aphrodites extraction and demeters destiny and Olympus up would be good for other lines to incorporate. Salt lines would likely love demeters and herculean. It seems that bottom feeding would cause salt to get pushed into medium. Further into root zone.

IMO, There`s nothing wrong with bottom watering. I am only bottom watering my present garden. The 2 previous ones were also bottom watered only. Different concept, but it does work, once you figure out the nuances. Always a learning curve for a different method.

There is a whole book about organic soil layering called...True Living Organics.

seems like a drip system except there is no drip.. water is wicked up from the res same as the global bucket. Only real dif is a larger aerated res, and it utilizes a pump to keep the water level 1/2" below the pot full of media.

http://kat.cr/totally-organic-hydroponics-t3317892.html

There is really quite a difference between the 2--so much that I do not really even find them similar. Not only is there a large aerated res, there is also a water pump that is watering the plants from the top. It is quite different than the global buckets that use no power and is anaerobic. The pump is not used to keep the water level right--that is accomplished by overflow pipes. It appears to be used to feed the plants--I am assuming drippers.

I am interested in the organic hydro though and will check this out. Thanks for the link.

ok thg, assume what you want to but there are no drippers.

In the global bucket system water is wicked up from the solo cup that is full of soil.

In the organiponics method, the bottom half of the net pot is full of lava rocks or similar, it uses the lava rocks to wick water up to the soil.

If you swapped the lava rocks for a solo cup of dirt it would be the same, just wouldn't have to worry about watering it as often. Hook up a small 12volt water pump w/ solar panel and battery and go off the grid :D

View attachment blah.jpg

I started reading the book yesterday--very interesting. While it does still wick, it seems more like an ebb and flow system where you flood x number of times a day and then let the water drain back to the res, which is aerated. The global buckets are more like just bottom watering. Another huge thing is that one is anaerobic and one is aerobic.

correct, you flood and drain the bottom lava rock portion of the pots.

I ordered some Gro-kashi and I think I will give it a try...when I get it. You have about a month wait for this product. They do not even put it together until it is purchased and then it has to cook for 21 days.

I am getting some to. I take it this is something you don't want to stockpile as it probably has short shelf life.

They told me they would ship to Canada but it would cost me double.. :(

I made my own Bokashi. take a 40 pound bag of wheat bran and mix it with EM-1 and molasses ,put in a airtight tub for 2 weeks and then dry it out. You have a bunch of it real cheep. It is amazing what it will do for your plants. they will deliver a quart for 29 dollars. mix that in a bottle with equal parts of molasses and fill with water . in 10 days you have more EM-1. for less than 50 dollars I have 40 pounds of Bokashi and 5 gallons of EM-1. it is more fun to make your own . But buy it if you would rather let them have the fun and money. 40 pound of wheat bran was 15 dollars.

Bozzo--where did you get the recipe for GroKashi? Is that all that is in it...wheat bran, molasses and EM-1?

Latest posts

Back