curling leaves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rotts4su

Reaction score
Hi all, am a first time grower. My taller plants are green crack and doing well, in 15 to 20 smart pots, started from seed this late winter indoors. Am in southern California. My last two have been white widow and planted just two or so months ago. All plants are now in the same area. One of my white widow is corkscrewing new leaves on one side of the plant, half is normal. The other white widow is just beginning to show a leaf or so curling on new growth. I have researched and studied, cannot pinpoint what this is. I know my ph is a little high, a little over 7. Am hitting both plants with ph down acid and also Jack's acid.

View attachment P1010009.jpg

View attachment P1010006.jpg

View attachment P1010010.jpg

it looks like magnesium deficiency, try to find signs of interveinal chlorosis anywhere on the plant, that way you will be sure. magnesium sulfate can be used as supplement

thank you zem, I haven't seen any discoloration on stems or leaf veins. I'll give this a try.

I think you may have more than a magnesium problem.......... as Zem said add some Epsom salt to you nutrients.......... looks to me like you got more than magnesium locked out.

thank you zem, I haven't seen any discoloration on stems or leaf veins. I'll give this a try.

you should notice discolouration between the veins on a leaf but the veins remain green. If you notice overall weakness on the plant, then it could be a general deficiency and not only Mg

I think it is a pH problem. You should be pH'ing your nutrient solution every time you feed them. If your pH is over 7 then you are most likely locking out a huge bunch of the nutrients that the plants need. So, nothing you give to the plants is going to make a difference unless the pH is where it needs to be. Plants will only uptake nutrients at certain pH levels.

I did the epsom salt today, just added acid mix yesterday so will cool my heels for a few days. I will start checking any water added for ph before waterings, I am on a well and the water ph has been at 7 but that can change and perhaps I got a little confident and didn't do enough checking. Next year I will use larger pots, the 15 gal is a little tight for this size plant (I think, I can see roots near the top) which might be adding to the problem. Only the white widow seems to be affected, and the largest of these has very little spiraling on the new growth. I will take more pics later to share with the forum, to see how this may resolve itself. Thanks to all who have taken the time to input here. I'm so close to a moderately successful first grow that I don't want to mess it up. Two heads are always better than one:watchplant:

Just an update. Did the calcium/magnesium supplement once, then mixed each and every watering in buckets with the acid. Finally got 6.8 to 7 readings. Thanks to responders, I no longer have to struggle with trying to figure out what is wrong. Did my water testing earlier this year, thought I was okay. Am on well water, ph must have changed. Thanks to you and this forum, my plants are well on the way to normal. Picture below taken today:

View attachment P1010001.jpg

they definitely look healthier, congrats

I will have to go with thg here. that's looks like a ph prob their and mybe a mag def. but more so a ph prob. I would get that when I would get lazy and not ph my nutes. my leaves would do just that.

One thing to remember when you draw your water it will have a PH reading say 6 for arguments sake. If you leave your water in a container for a period of time and not use it the waters PH will rise on its own some times quite a bit. My water tests at 6 out of the well if I leave it for a week it tests at 8. Just something to take into consideration

One thing to remember when you draw your water it will have a PH reading say 6 for arguments sake. If you leave your water in a container for a period of time and not use it the waters PH will rise on its own some times quite a bit. My water tests at 6 out of the well if I leave it for a week it tests at 8. Just something to take into consideration

nevermind for arguments sake :), what pH is your tap water?
my water is 8.2 out of the tap. It falls to 7.2 after sitting a day or so,
your's rises?
Are you bubbling this water?

EDAW004, I just re-read this and it sounds a little testy to me, I didn't intend that. I get wound up.

Drooping / Curling is the first sign of overwaterd marijuana plants. When you water your plants too often, its roots are sitting in stagnant water which no longer has any oxygen left. The reason your plants droop is because basically their roots are starving for oxygen.

water that is sitting out, exposed to the atmosphere will be subject to change in pH because of the chemicals that are present in the water and in the atmosphere. Depending on the chemicals present and the concentration, they will act on the pH. Typically, aerating water tends to make the pH rise, I suspect this is due to the amount of hydrogen, nitrogen, and oxygen in the atmosphere, getting dissolved into the water causes the pH to rise.

However, if there are certain chemicals(or microbes) present in your water that interact with the atmospheric chemicals, it could make your pH drop rather than rise. It would be interesting to know what is in your water.

water that is sitting out, exposed to the atmosphere will be subject to change in pH because of the chemicals that are present in the water and in the atmosphere. Depending on the chemicals present and the concentration, they will act on the pH. Typically, aerating water tends to make the pH rise, I suspect this is due to the amount of hydrogen, nitrogen, and oxygen in the atmosphere, getting dissolved into the water causes the pH to rise.

However, if there are certain chemicals(or microbes) present in your water that interact with the atmospheric chemicals, it could make your pH drop rather than rise. It would be interesting to know what is in your water.

I aerate the carp out of my "sitting" de-chloriinating, de-H2o2ating water ready for nuting.
The pH DROPS from 8.2 to 7.2
I have latest city water report, what am I looking for?
Are you up on this stuff, HP? Can I take the lazy route and pm you a pdf?
I'd love a tailer-made nute regimen if anybody's feeling magnanimous
:D

sure I can help you if you want. we can do it in PM or here so others can see the results (if you want), either way works for me. :)

Latest posts

Back