Marijuana find estimated at $3.1 million

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
A collaboration of local and state law enforcement officials comprising the Governor's Task Force for Drug Suppression seized, at last count, 8,840 marijuana plants -- valued at just under $3.1 million -- after the illegal crops were spotted in south Coweta County during a helicopter sweep of the area Tuesday morning.

"This is very large in terms of marijuana gardens," said Major James Yarbrough of the Coweta County Sheriff's Office. "I think this is the largest [in Coweta County] -- I can't think of one this size, and I've been doing this for over 30 years."

The Governor's Task Force for Drug Suppression is comprised of members of the sheriff's office, Georgia Bureau of Investigation, the Georgia State Patrol, the Department of Natural Resources and the Department of Corrections. The Coweta sheriff's office's helicopter and the state patrol helicopter canvassed south Coweta Tuesday morning by air in search of marijuana. According to Yarbrough, the fly over was random, but they had experienced problems with marijuana growth in the rural area before.

They spotted marijuana growing off U.S. Highway 29 South near Bexley Road around 10 a.m. and sent ground units into the wooded area to harvest the crop. At the time, they had no idea just how successful the bust would be. In fact, initial reports surfaced that around 500 plants had been spotted. What investigators actually found was around 8,840 marijuana plants growing within at least five plots ranging in height from four to seven feet, according to Yarbrough.

Investigators were still harvesting and counting the plants late Tuesday afternoon, according to Yarbrough. The marijuana will be destroyed in an incinerator and a small amount will be saved for testing. He said the low-end cost for marijuana on the streets is about $350 per plant.

The crops were planted strategically near water sources, which is believed to have been used to cultivate the crops. There was evidence at the scene that the people who planted and cared for the marijuana had been camping on the property. Plant fertilizer, watering jugs and even a hammock were found under a shady overhang. There was evidence that the crops may have been planted this growing season, according to Yarbrough.

"We will process bottles and cans out there to see if we can tie it back to an individual," said Yarbrough. He added that they will check for fingerprints and possibly DNA. "We will see what we can find."

No suspects have been named in the investigation, but Yarbrough did not believe the property owner(s) were aware of the illegal activity.

hxxp://tinyurl.com/5g8m6p

I hope they dont get anyone...man thats alot of plants...man....

Latest posts

Back