Question about 400w HPS heat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larnek

Reaction score
I'm looking around at upgrading my current CFL grow for flowering. Hoping I will have 2-4 plants of Nirvana Citral in a portable standalone closet, 3ft x 2ft x 5ft. Looking between a HTG 400w HPS with built in ballast, a 400w external ballast or a 250w either/or. I am of course trying to do this as cheap as possible, don't expect any payback other than personal for my efforts and don't have any extra money to spend really. Growing soil with fox farms ocean and fox farms 3pack family of nutes. I'd like a cheap 400w w/ built in but I think it will make too much heat to dissapate with a just venting and strategically placed oscillating fans. Would the separate ballast work or should I just drop to 250w or will I even need more cooling there.. Ambient temp stays around 72F currently. Any help appreciated. Will also take cooling ideas from anyone. I've never used an HPS lamp so I just don't have a clue how much heat will be produced.

Get a good hood and spring for the fan and all that crap and you'll be waaaaaay happier. Craiglist and ebay might be some options for a vented hood and your fans etc but buy your light new if you can swing it so you have a warranty. I use a 400 watter and it stays cool as a cucumber, but before I bought the inline fan etc that light had my tent rocking 94 degrees.

you can upgrade the hood from htgsupply
get the 250 or the 400 with the euro hood,go to home depot and get one of the 250cfm duct fans (with wall plug in cord) for 20 bucks and one of the flexible ducting and vent it out...you'll be a happy camper.that hydrohuts gonna get too hot if you use a 250 or a 400 watt without a cool tube or a euro hood.

howdy larnek, i use a 400hps...ive used it with/without aoir cooled hood. air-cooler hood took 5-7 degrees off...on top of the 200cfm exhaust fan i got. 2x3 would be perfect for the 400 IMO...give you about 2.5ft for plants, which is about as much as a 400 will penetrate.

a 250 will get er done, but you'd be happier with a 400w. my area is same w/400, and it does very well.

Latest posts

Back