HPS Ballast (non-convertable ballast) burning a Metal Halide bulb.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunlove

Grow addict to the gills.
Reaction score
Hey Growheads!

I have a question to pose to those who know more than I. Now, I'd never do this personally BUT I'm getting ahead of myself . . .

I sold a guy an old ballast, reflector and bulb for $100 -- 1000 watt HPS. I get an email from him, he's a friend of mine, and he says that the ballast and bulb died. I figured that a thunderstorm came through a few nights back and a surge killed it -- I'm bummed as he's a pal (we share smoke and clones and stuff). I spoke to him on the phone today and he said that the bulb didn't spark up when he set it up, SO he put a metal halide in it and it ran for awhile and the ballast up and died.

Now I know what you're all thinking, I thought it too -- why would anyone ever try it if he/she wasn't trying to blowup their gear. However, he says that he's done it forever and his son does it too -- run both types of tubes (mh and hps) on the same ballast. I know that some ballasts are set up for it -- some switch manually and some auto, just like most will run either 120 or 240 volt -- I run two CAP NextGen 1000s right now and they switch auto, BUT THE QUESTION IS MY FINE FRIENDS, will running an HPS ballast with a MH bulb kill the ballast? At the very least it can't be good for it. I'm really surprised that it even fired up.

I personally wouldn't ever even think of it. I bought a HPS to MH conversion bulb when I was using that very same ballast. So, you guys are the jury -- what is the verdict???

Yes the ballast needs to be switchable. I would get on him to be having a fire.

Yeah...

I'd suggest making sure that he's really up to date with his homeowner's/fire insurance policy... But I doubt the policy would pay anyhow if they proved that fire started in the clandestine mj grow room...:shocked:

I think at one time they might have been around a ballast that is interchangable like my Quantum and got the impression that it's cool to do but most ballasts are very specifically rated for either a HPS or a MH's tolerances unless it's manufactured to be a switchable ballast...

Good Luck!:cool:

I found a bulb, the philips ceramic metal halide, that is made to run in an HPS ballast only. and for that matter, it says not to run it in a digital ballast either. so best i can figure it's a MH bulb made for a HPS ballast? but it works and i love the spectrum!

This was my suspicion all along, and I thought a bit more and sent an email off to HydroFarm to see what their tech has to sat. I'll post it when I get it. I'm from the dirty old south, too. Southern IDAHO, that is, less known for BBQ than potatoes.

at my work we take care of street lights and its not uncommon for mh globes to be put in hps heads and they are not electronic and they work find. i also have a light which is for mh globes as per specs and the ballast has mercury vapor written on it so i dont know.in saying that i have lights which are specific and i only use the recomended globes.i have tried using mh in hps and it worked fine but i only had it on for maybe 5 minutes

evz355 said:
at my work we take care of street lights and its not uncommon for mh globes to be put in hps heads and they are not electronic and they work find. i also have a light which is for mh globes as per specs and the ballast has mercury vapor written on it so i dont know.in saying that i have lights which are specific and i only use the recomended globes.i have tried using mh in hps and it worked fine but i only had it on for maybe 5 minutes

Mh can light in a Hps because it doesnt need the ignitor, but the ignitor can be damaged over time ruining your ballast.

I believe mh and mercury vapor are similar in the fact you can swap one one way but not the other.

You should always use the type of bulb specified on the ballast. HPS for HPS and MH for MH. The only time it is advised to use HPS in MH or MH in HPS is when you buy a stated conversion bulb made to run with the ballast you have. They are more expensive than traditional bulbs, because they are engineered to operate that way.

Just because it fired another time with a particular combination of bulb and ballast, or just because you were lucky to get it to fire at all does not mean you are getting the correct lumen output or that you are not shortening the life of your bulb or in the worst case, your ballast. People do a lot of risky things that "work" but this doesn't mean it is a recommended practice.

As far as the ballast goes, take it to your local retailer and they may be able to diagnose the problem. Or they could send it to Hydrofarm for repairs. Misusing it violates the warranty and there would be a charge for labor and parts, but it might be fixable.

I hope you are able to resolve the problem quickly.

Yours,

Carolyn Andrews
Reception and Information
Hydrofarm, Inc.
2249 South McDowell Ext.
Petaluma, CA 94954
(707) 765-9990 x 120
[email protected]

Hey Peepes!

Thought I'd relay this on to those who give a ****. Here's what the tech at HydroFarm was kind enough to reply back to me. Just makes you think, huh? It's like she says, just because something works, doesn't mean your supposed to do it.

Sounds like age-old wisdom to me. No grief and be careful out there!

Dan in Spokane

Latest posts

Back