Made a compost bin today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burner

Reaction score
I've been wanting to do this for a while and had some time today to slap together pallets I had laying around. Basic 3x3x3 ...took about 30 min to put together. Hopefully i'll be making some tea soon:)

What do you guys do in the winter time to keep the bin cooking? I was reading that during winter the microbes lay dormant, and wake back up spring time.

Photo_53235232-73CF-350D-A3E5-30FD68D54348.jpg

It is beautiful! I add fresh stuff all year and when i have too much green we add some of the dry leaves and it keeps cooking. There is also a compost starter too if you don't have any big N to get it started.

I'm in the NE US and nothing much happens over the winter- the leaves I put in in the fall are pretty much still leaves. You're right, the microbial activity slows waaay down.

Cover it with hay after the few first warm sunny days of spring and it'll get cooking a little faster.

Nice looking bin. Now get filling it- don't forget your coffee grounds.

Add some alfalfa meal. That will get that pile cooking in no time flat.

Wet

I think it is better to use straw in your compost bin. Hay has seeds--lots and lots and lots of seeds. Straw does not.

Good point!

I made the mistake of buying hay when I should got straw. Thought they were the same. LOL Only made that mistake once.

Wet

Rose - Thank you...I'll look into the compost starter.

BBfan - I'm in the NE as well, I just dumped a thing of coffee ground in it yesterday along with some tomatoes and other veggies that were starting to go bad. I have some fresh cut grass from friday as well. The pile already has a nice earthy smell to it.

Wetdog - Thanks, I'll look into the alfalfa meal this week. I do want to get it cookin soon! Don't have much time before fall/winter

THG - Good look on the straw tip..I'll make sure I get that in the spring

I was out throwing some more sticks and old veggies in there today and started to stir it up...WOW I can't believe the heat it's producing already...the grass has only been sitting 3-1/2 days

Chop everything up as small as you can and it will break down much quicker (something about more edges to attack). When the worms show up, you know it's going great.

Sounds like you've got it going. Congrats and have fun.

Thanks for the tip i'll try and chop up the stuff a little more

I use a paper towel and crush the egg shells in that and throw the whole thing in. I buy unbleached coffee filters and the whole thing can go in. It is so fun. garbage is fun. Like i said, i get too darn happy over this stuff.

Hey rose I'm having fun too lol...I even bought a small trashcan today just for my compost:)

I'm just now realizing how much waste we throw out when so much of it can be recycled and reused right in our backyards...crazy

Can I hijack your thread please?
I started a compost tea and this morning all was quiet. It looked dead. well i gave it some molasses and all my stick bacteria are dancing and swimming again. I was afraid I was going to kill them. So Molasses for my little cutypies.
Hey Guys, can i do the tea without a sock please?

Thanks burner, next season you will be making compost tea and be thrilled about bacteria too. ;~)

hehe next season!?:hubba: I'm in the process of making a tea brewer right now...I'm getting an all organic line of ferts (Grow-Biotic..the stuff Jbyrd uses), I have some guano and fox farm organic stuff as well...so hopefully next week i'll be brewing up some goodness..

When I get some time I wanna post up what i'm building to get some tips. What/how did you build yours?

I have two black plastic bins from costco several years ago and they need to be replaced. But they are still working. I just used two scoops of well rotted compost and add water and a package of BIoDynamic Humus LOL... www. progressearth.com Now I am feeding with molasses.
It is very cool. Have fun burner!

I see...so you don't bubble your mix?

Yes, I do. I am sorry for leaving that out. I got a very small aquarium pump. I am hoping to keep feeding the tea and keep it going like a sourdough starter..

I was under the impression that you had to make your tea, bubble for a day or so, then use it. So you can keep it going all the time as long as you keep the pump on?

Another question- during winter, should I cover my bin with a tarp to try and keep most of the snow out?

I don't, but we have no real moisture where we live. I have trouble with mine being wet enough. My tea is outside now, 90+, i guess I will have to garage it in the winter. I think below freezing wouldn't be good for the bacteria etc.
I need to read up on them, do the hibernate outside? they must...go dormant in the winter.

Do you get alot of snow? Maybe it would insulate them.

Yeah I read that they do go dormant in the winter...i'm in the NE and yeah we usually get a decent amount of snow

Latest posts

Back