i have a question about establishing an on/off cycle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruufuus

novice ethnobotanist
Reaction score
hey guys, just started 5 himalayan blue diesel autos and they all cvame up yesterday, but i forgot to put the light on the timer to establish the light cycle, so as of right now its on 24/0 however, the seeds have only received 24 hours of daylight thus far, so my question is whether or not establishing an 18/6 light cycle at this point is a good idea or if it would stress the plant or something along those lines... any information regarding the matter will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

if ya want to flower from seed just shut them off when your ready and start cycle, but why not veg a little? just wondering.

dman1234 said:
if ya want to flower from seed just shut them off when your ready and start cycle, but why not veg a little? just wondering.

i think you misunderstand me. i am not flowering from seed, i just started my autos, and intended to do an 18/6 light schedule with them but they have already received 24 hours of light and im wondering if i have to stick with 24/0 or if i can still go with 18/6 and not run into stress issues and such..

yeah sorry about that, lol, you can just go to 18/6 when you want, lots use 20-4 for Autos.

no, i am doing my first 2 autos, and i did 24-0 for the first few weeks and now they are in 12-12, but thats just because i have too, i would do them 20-4 if it wasnt such a pita.

Most auto it seem grow their best on a 20/4 from what you see in ppl's grow journal

anyone here have first hand experience growing autos with 20/4 light cycle?

i grew a lot of auto strains on 24/0 then when she popped hairs, I cut her back to 20/4... bubblelicious and northern lights, afghan kush ryder, road runner #1, flahs babalyon or however its spelled.. all started 24/ and brought to 20/4... and sometimes 19.5 to encourage flower if they dont start to flower aroudn 25 days in

what kind of setup are you running anyhow?
I ran mine under hps their whole lifes....

cpl strains under t5's completely..

cpl mixing..

I love that you chose these.. if they turn out nice.. I've been eyeballing a few packs of them regulars to do some breeding :D

bubba902 said:
i grew a lot of auto strains on 24/0 then when she popped hairs, I cut her back to 20/4... bubblelicious and northern lights, afghan kush ryder, road runner #1, flahs babalyon or however its spelled.. all started 24/ and brought to 20/4... and sometimes 19.5 to encourage flower if they dont start to flower aroudn 25 days in

what kind of setup are you running anyhow?
I ran mine under hps their whole lifes....

cpl strains under t5's completely..

cpl mixing..

I love that you chose these.. if they turn out nice.. I've been eyeballing a few packs of them regulars to do some breeding :D
thanks for the info! and im glad you asked about the setup... the grow is 5 himalayan blue diesel growing in a 60/40 coco/perlite soilless mixture. to start i am using daylight cfls and after the sprouts get some leaf about them i will switch to 150w hps, and once flowering starts to occur or if i see fit i will then install my 400w cooltube hps to increase lighting, airflow and give them good light to bud with. they plants are in 3g grow bags, i will be using GH flora series 3 part hydroponic fertilizer ph balanced to 5.6-6.5. Also i should mention this grow is the first of many, and is intended mainly as a seed run to supply the real glory that is to take place at a later time =]. thanks again

IMO I would skip the 150 watter and go straight to the 400 watter. The plants need as much light as possible to reach their best growth and maximum final harvest weight.

ozzydiodude said:
IMO I would skip the 150 watter and go straight to the 400 watter. The plants need as much light as possible to reach their best growth and maximum final harvest weight.

at what age do you think i should switch from daylight cfl to 400w hps? the reason i was gonna use 150w was because i didnt think the plants could even use the lumens from the 400w till they fill out.

so let me get this straight, you all are implying i should put a full power HID over day old plants?

Yep just have the lights high 24 inches instead of 12 inches and slowly lower them over the first 2 weeks til they are 12" away

ozzydiodude said:
Yep just have the lights high 24 inches instead of 12 inches and slowly lower them over the first 2 weeks til they are 12" away

would i really be losing alot of potential growth if i use the 150w for a week or so before switching to 400w? i just feel like so much light will be wasted =[

the less lumens the plant receives the less growth and the longer it takes it to grow. You are wanting to get the best growth by running 24/0 with the maximum light illumination reaching the leaves of the plant.

I had my plants under 1000W from the time they were seedlings. I needed the stronger bulb to keep them warm, and they've done great. My auto's are about 30" high, bushy and healthy.
IMHO these lovely plants can never get enough light- and as Ozzie said move the light gradually till they get used to it.

Latest posts

Back