Iron?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Poet

Reaction score
Fellow Growers,

The Grow Box is making my plants grow much better.
However I am still having black, dead leaves and discoloration on others.
Apparently a residual, left over problem from the pre-go box days.
But a friend who runs a feed store said "yellow leaves? that's a lack of iron"
I looked at their iron, a bottled nutrient and 10-12 ounces was $50.
About minerals, I looked at the labels of all my go box nutrients and no iron.

Hey, since my water is rain water I am really studying minerals for plant growth.
The iron at the feed store had several other minerals as well but I don't want to mix nutrients without knowing what I am doing.

Why isn't their iron in the go box nutrients?
Or is the calcium and magnesium in Cal-mag judged enough minerals for cannabis?
My plants are really growing but for the few dead leaves and the discoloration on 10% of the leaves.
Might it correct itself after a while?
I don't give the plants any water without cal-mag because of the lack of minerals in rain.
I'd haul water except it is so heavy.
Anyone ever had this problem?

I'll figure this out or just buy spring water.

Thank you...

The Poet...

I am not familiar with go box, but there is iron in there somewhere. Iron is a very important element in growing
They use a lot of iron for turf management. Will turn your lawn nice and green really quick. Will also kill it really quick.

Iron deficiency starts from the top of the plant and progresses downward. It appears as if the new growth is growing out yellow. Yellowing from the bottom up signifies Nitrogen deficiency. A pic would help

I know a guy that used to use the GO products and said he had issues because the GO stuff isn't strong enough. You may want to add the mineral supplement, and possibly raise your nute regimen numbers some. The calmag is usually by itself because it tends to bind up with other minerals in higher concentrations.

A pic of the plants in question would definitely be helpful :)

I found out 'Brer Rabbit' molasses has iron, calcium and magnesium in it.
One tablespoon = 15% of daily iron requirement per person.

Espoma fertilizer is organic and wouldn't hurt to use as a top dressing fertilizer.
Between the Espoma and the Brer Rabbit, the nutes in the Go Box even if a little weak... would be enough.
Also, my plants are definitely doing better, the black dead leaves and the discoloration are clearing up.
'Problems left over from the pre-Go Box days' I guess.
The plants are looking great and the buds are bigger than ever.

Thank you...

The Poet...

Leaves are gaining their color back at last.
Rain water would have been alright in dirt but not in a pot.
I mix cal-mag with the water all the time now.
Sprinkled Espoma as a top dressing and added Beer Rabbit as well.
I water once a week and thats it.

This was a very difficult but interesting last several years.
Maybe I have learned how to grow my medicine after all {if nothing else happens.}

Thank you all here at the forum for you help and support.
Now I can be thinking about the next seed order...

Thank you...

The Poet...

The Espoma is good stuff. I would definitely use it if I was running Organic.

I can see no signs of insects, maybe heat stress...?
As I have been waiting 6-7-8 days 'in-between' watering in an attempt to judge how often to water.
I've decided that 7 days is too long and 5 is about right for my setup but they did get a little dry, plus, since then I have raised the light 12" - 14" above the foliage. The tops of the plants are great looking, dark green and healthy. Only the lower leaves are loosing color.

I just got to get me a camera!
Don't even have internet service now but am using a borrowed laptop.
A camera is on my list and I'm sorry, it would help to have pictures.

Thank you...

The Poet...

Plants look good well... the buds are fine, the leaves, especially the lower leaves look sick.
But the buds are fine and who cares about the leaves?
Well... again... I not only want my plants {leaves} to look healthy and good!

Now I know {or I think I do} that leaves get autum-ly looking at near harvest.
But last crop, all! the leaves fell off on day 10 of flowering!
I almost trashed the whole crop but a few days later saw new growth and the smoke is good/ 1/2 - 3/4 oz per plant.

But why did my leaves fall off?
That isn't natural.

Today 25 days from harvest, the top leaves and buds are fine and the lower leaves are spotted, edges and tips are brown.
I don't think its bugs, mold or a pathogen. I don't over water or nute, or under water/nute!

I am using rain water but with Cal-mag. And I found out tonight that there is a liquid at pet shops that removes cloramine!

There are minerals in my tap water and using it is cheaper.
I'll work with rain water/Cal-mag and dechlorinated tap water in order to find out what my plants like.
I made more room between the 6 plants and raised the light higher...?

Joe Weider said: "Listen to your body"

I would say listen to your plants...

Thank you...

The Poet...

I think I have found the problem:

PH...

Growing a garden outside for 50 years has given me a familiarity with ph.
Alkalinity and acidity. I read ph is not important in organic gardening so forgot about it.
Then I read, under a picture of a sick leaf which looked exactly like my sick leaves which were said to be 'phosphorus deficient'.
I knew my plants were awash in nutes and specifically phosphorus,
I read phosphorus can be locked out if ones PH is not right, i.e.. 6.2 - 7.

I have never used a ph strip but I have a ph kit and I am pretty certain... never mind,
I tested my rain water and it was 6 or 6.1.
Tonight I'll test my tap water and run off from my nute water and get back to you guys.
I'm really excited but don't want to get my hopes up, yes a do.

When was the last time all the leaves fell off your plants?

Thank you...

The Poet...

I've never had all my leaves drop off. But I have turned them all yellow in less then 24 hours. I had brewed a batch of AEM with bone meal in it. The next day yellow. Never did get them to green up again, only the veins got a little green.

Alright, I have found the problem, it was lack of calcium.
Evidently there is little calcium in potting soil or nutrients. Not enough to counter the rain water I am using.
A friend who runs a feed store gave me some lime, hydrated lime and the plants recovered in a flash!
They went from leaves showing profound phosphorus deficiency to beautiful dark green leaves.
Lime which is 47% calcium will always be in my water {rainwater} at the rate of one teaspoon per gallon.

In fact I have decided to change my nutes from bottled liquid to a super soil.
My Espoma garden tone is a complete organic fertilizer, 5% calcium and with minerals like azomite,
rock phosphate, bone meal and lime mixed in the soil with blood meal, bat guano and kelp meal
my plants won't be dependent on me making trips to the hydro store.
The soil itself should have enough richness to support growth.
The Espoma makes the runoff a little acidic but the lime counters it.
Now PH of runoff is roughly 6.4

After all I am here to learn but I didn't know I would have to become a chemist.
Maybe not but a good understanding of soil chemistry is necessary to grow cannabis indoors.

Thank you...

The Poet...

Growdude...

Thank you, lets 'git inert' and go coon hunting!
Got me a new light yesterday!

The Poet...

I would be extremely careful with hydrated lime. Very hot and quick release. Will kill your plants quickly. Most growers use dolomite lime. Calcium is very important but to much will lockout many of the other nutrients with a wide range of symptoms.

Duck...

Alright, since I get a check in 5-6 days I'll get a bag of 'Dolimite' lime.

The instructions on the {hydrated} bag says one tablespoon per gallon and I only gave them one teaspoon.
I read their was chemicals in hydrated lime I didn't want but too hot... I understand.

There was no dolomite lime at the feed store so I used the hydrated lime and it worked wonders with my plants.
Dolimite... just one more detail in the understanding of soil chemistry.

Thank you...

The Poet...

Latest posts

Back