i just went surfing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bznuts

Reaction score
well i do live in santa cruz, ca. so i surf, you know, in the ocean.:cool:

i just got back from a half day on the water.
while i was there i thought about how good i heard kelp was for plants- and so i brought some home.
fresh kelp, of all kinds.
and i rinsed the salt water from them the best i could.
they are now on my porch
and im thinking my plants might like it!

:confused: how should i apply it to my plants:confused: . i was thinking i could make a tea type drink for them, or perhaps even chop or grind some up and mix it directly into my soil. any ideas would be wonderful. :joint:

I would soak in freshwater, dump, soak, dump until you get the salty goodness off! Then a compost tea might be awesome?????

Kelp extracts are big... I would suggest visiting some websites and seeing what kind of extraction methods the nute industry is using??? Best of luck and look forward to hearing ur results....

hey thanks dammit. lol.

yea i guess i will go back and give the seaweed and kelp a super rinse

i will also google it to see what methods ppl are using, great idea, and thanks again.

yea for sure. right now i am trying to raise my ph a bunch so after i tackle that i will add the kelp and keep you posted!!

FLA Funk said:
A top dressing might work well.

what do you mean by a top dressing? perhaps you mean that i should grind it up (i was thinking about going to the thrift shop and buying an old blender) and work it into my soil?

Yeah that sounds really good. When I did some organic landscaping I would put some directly beneath the plant and around the soil, dressing the plant. We never ground it up but that sounds like it would work better perhaps. Smaller particles=more surface area=faster reaction time right? I've never done it to mj but it works great with sustainable gardens. Good luck, let us know what you decide on.

I found this while surfing :)

Help from kelp
How ocean plants help our garden plants

By Marion Owen, Fearless Weeder for PlanTea, Inc. and
Co-author of Chicken Soup for the Gardener's Soul

The ocean is a beautiful place. Salt air, walking along the beach, body surfing and picnics.

Beneath the waves, you'll find a world teeming with life. There are dolphins, salmon, hermit crabs and kelp forests. It's the kelp that connects gardeners to the sea...

For example, did you know that every natural element known to man exists in the ocean? Or that seaweed, which concentrates these elements in its tissues, in turn provides plants with more than 70 minerals, vitamins and enzymes?

Though not all of these compounds are fully understood, many scientific studies have determined what gardeners and farmers have known for centuries: Seaweed, or kelp, is one of the most valuable soil conditioners in the world.

Why good soil is so-o-o important

You'll want to share this bit of wisdom with all your friends: Healthy soil is the key to successful gardening. We're so focused on what happens above the soil, we often forget that what's happening below the soil's surface is a whole lot more than we realize.

The best way to achieve healthy soil is to add organic materials. Nope, sorry, chemical fertilizers do not promote healthy soil. They offer impressive results by making plants look good, but that's only for the short term. Studies confirm that in the long run they do much more harm that good.

Here's another way to put it: Feeding plants without concern the long term health of the soil is like building a house on sand. Thus, organic gardening practices are by far the best way to improve this critical part of your plants' living space.

How ocean plants help earth plants

Seaweed, which originates from the ocean's garden, is one of the best materials for an earth garden. For one thing, kelp helps stimulates soil bacteria. This, in turn increases fertility of the soil by humus formation (which feeds on the bacteria), aeration and moisture retention. Let's look at some other ways that kelp helps:

Seed germination is improved
Fruits and vegetable have a greater nutritional value
Plants develop more extensive root systems, which means healthier foliage, flowers and fruit
Plants have a greater resistance to nematodes, disease and pests.
Where, oh where to find seaweed

If you live near the ocean, then you have it made. By the truckload or bucket, any amount of kelp is a bonus.

Kelp is loaded with minerals and nutrients. Recent studies show that kelp is one of the best materials you can feed your plants. Here, Kodiak, Alaska gardeners collect it by the truckload. (Marion Owen photo)
Seaweed also comes in a variety of commercial products, as a liquid kelp extract, as a dried kelp meal or blend. Kelp, for example, is the main ingredient in PlanTea, the patented, organic plant food in tea bags. After brewing a batch of PlanTea, you can use it as a concentrate or diluted as a foliar spray. Each 3 x 4-inch tea bag makes 5 gallons of foliar spray.

How to apply seaweed

You can apply fresh kelp directly to the soil (some people suggest rinsing it to remove the sea salt, but for the past 20 years I've never found it necessary). Arrange it as a 2 to 4-inch mulch layer or include it in the compost pile. Seaweed decays quickly because it contains little cellulose. What's nice too, is that you don't introduce weed seeds with seaweed mulch.

You can also apply kelp as a liquid fertilizer at the base of plants to reach the root zone, add it to a drip irrigation system or as a dilute foliar spray. In recent tests at Virginia Polytechnic Institute, soil sprayed with a seaweed solution had 67 percent to 175 percent more roots than untreated soil.

To make your own liquid kelp, add a couple handfuls of seaweed to a 5-gallon bucket of water. Stir the concoction daily for a few days, then strain and dilute it using the ratio of 1 part kelp liquid to 2 parts water.

Any sprayer or mister will work, from hand-trigger units to backpack models. The best times to spray are early morning and early evening, when the liquids will be absorbed most quickly. Spray the tops and bottoms of leaves until the liquid drips off the leaves.

Prevention is the best defense: use kelp

According to Rodale's All-New Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening (TIP: You can find inexpensive, used copies of this "indispensable resource for every gardener" are available through Amazon.com), sprays of seaweed extract can help prevent plant diseases. "They work by improving the overall health of the plant."

Such foliar sprays (liquid fertilizers sprayed on plants) are up to 20 times more effective as a way to supply nutrients when the soil is poor quality or when roots are stressed from transplant shock or suffering from extreme heat and drought conditions. Here, too, PlanTea is very effective in improving soil conditions and giving plants a helpful boost.

As people become more sensitive to environmental issues, the need for organic gardening methods plays a critical role in our health and the health of the planet. The use of kelp--a natural, renewable gift from the ocean--helps us with our efforts in the garden. What could be nicer?

Cheers!

Would kelp work in hydro? I do both and have been reading and I live 1 mile from the ocean...I think I might give it a try as sonn as I finish reading this thread and do some research on it.Were did you go to research it?Did you just goole it?
thanks so much for the info...
have a great day and stay safe

yea ive been just googlin it and everything i read says its the best stuff on the planet for plants!

well i went to the local thrift shop and picked up a nice old school blender. put water and seaweed and kelp in it and i filled a couple 5 gallon buckets full. fed the plants with the water and worked the remains into the soil. the ph is ok now so i hope they like the little snack i gave em. i will take some photos in the mornin.

so here is some of the left over kelp/seaweed from yesterdays feeding. DSCN0585.jpg

you can see how i just put the kelp at the base of the plant, and worked it into the surrounding soil.DSCN0587.jpg they loved it because this morning they were on there tippi toes. DSCN0589.jpg

on the left are some C99xST clones, and the right are some females from seed- BBxWW and Sudden Impact. i will see now if i get a build up of salts, idk. so far so good!! im going to go water my gurls- it was hot today and they look thirsty.

hope everyones having a good one, peace

:peace: :lama:

:banana: so far so gravy...

well besides a touch of curling on a few upper fan leaves along with literally a hair if burn on some tips, all went well.

the seaweed and kelp that is left at the base of the plants is dry now and crawling with tiny bugs (which i think is a good place for em) :p

since the feeding of my homemade kelp tea, they are taking off like no other.:yay: my ladies convinced me qiuckly that seaweed and kelp were put on this earth for one reason, to feed mj.:grinch: .

seriously though, ive used tons of ferts in the past, and seen others do the same- often which comes with high expen$e. also which one to choose @ the hydro store can leave you with a migrane. the choices are endless and they all tend to brag about how they are the best. (wish i had a degree in horiculture so i knew the real truth)

im still fairly a new farmer, a few seasons under my belt to date, but in that short time, my experience points to organics. truthfully the plants are doing the pointing. they "show" and "tell" me what they like and want.

:heart:and i asure you they Love seaweed and kelp.

if your far from the ocean, i would recommend the organic store bought stuff.

try it and let me know what your plants have to say... :fid:

Latest posts

Back