Is it game over for this seedling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MennoTheWise

Purplehorn
Reaction score
Yesterday I was very excited to see that one of the seeds I had planted directly into my garden soil had come through after just 5 days. It was about an inch or so high with the two cotyledon and two "true" leaves showing.

I placed a small mesh fence around it to protect it overnight from snails and pests as it was lightly drizzling. I woke up this morning to check on my little seedling and it was half the plant it was the day before!

Whatever happened the true leaves seem to have fallen off and only one cotyledon remains. It couldnt have been a snail attack cuz I surrounded the seedling with a perimeter. So I'm thinking the rain must have knocked off the leaves.

So I'm left with one cotyledon and the root that still seems quite strong. However I fear it might be game over for this little seedling.

Is there any chance of the leaves growing back and the seedling thriving once again?

Hello Menno :)

Slugs live in the soil.

A plant is dead when it is crispy, if it is still green it still has a chance, let it do its thing, if it survives, it survives.

:peace:

slug-1_0.jpg

Thanks Hippy. As speedy as ever with your response!

Yeah it's still green and healthy looking for the moment so you never know. I just really wanted this one to make it because I germinated it directly in my garden soil. The natural way. I really didn't expect it to come up!

Latest posts

Back