Purple stems and fluorescent lights?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wetdog

Old Droopy Dog
Reaction score
Seems like this was mentioned in one of the 'lost in the crash' threads.

I'm getting some purple stems in otherwise healthy looking plants. These are long term host (mother) plants in a organic medium, well amended and plenty of micros/trace.

What got me thinking about he old thread was, the plants are bonsai'ed and LST'ed. Some of the stems are only purple on the top, that is, the horizontal LST'ed limbs.

The lights are PLL-55, T-5 HO, 6500k, 2 tube HTG fixtures.

Anyone else have this happen?

Wet

i have had the purple on the bottom n where "new growth" is a nice green..
and in any other case its been a nute issue.. .lack of or too much..
LH

I second the nutrient deficiency. Can't remember at the moment which nute. One of the primary 3.

Be having purple branches during my grows in past and even to this one here and never thought it be a deficiantcy and never treated for any and plants were always good and healthy. then gain I grow how I know and have things locked in to the point I never realy have any problems. Hopin ifin it is a bad thing yual gets it worked out and trust when I says there be smart folk here to be helpin long yur trail. I just never looked at it as a problem. Heck I have even trimmed a plant and seen it bleed purple!!!! Turned out to be some the best smoke when it was done. Just lucky I guess.

BWD

It can be strain dependent too. It might have nothing to do with nutes. With nute deficiency I notice the purpeing on the veins on the undersides of the leaves.

I could go with the nute deficiency if the entire stem was purple and not just what was exposed to the light.

Plus, there are at least 3 P sources in there with various release rates.

The plants look good overall and I just seemed to remember someone mentioning the lights causing the stems to change color.

Wet

Never heard that lights can turn the stems purple but it wouldn't surprise me if it was true. I grow a lot of blueberry hybrids and I see purple stems on them all the time.

As a side note, I moved a few outside for a spring harvest and to make way for some new host plants. The new growth in the sun is quite green. No new nutes were added till I top dressed with Garden tone 2 days ago. That won't even kick in for a couple of weeks, so maybe the lights did do something. IDK

These are about 9 months in the pots and getting a bit gnarly, so they get flowered out and new clones get moved in. All the same strain going on 3 years now.

Wet

Latest posts

Back