Sopappy's grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We all went through the same learning process, so your gonna be one smart cookie when you get dialed in. Our role here for you is to try and help you minimize errors since we have already proven them ineffective, therefore no need for you to try this as it has been proven to not work( ect)......hopefully whenever you have a question please pipe up and ask, it might save you time, bud money...ect.

Minimize errors... well put, thank you!
I'm not sowing another seed until I've planned this thing out. I'm switching mid-stream AGAIN! and it's going to get messy (uh, messier)
It looks like I've got maybe 6 seedlings that look pretty much unscathed and starting to recover. I'll likely finish them off trying to plant them in the hydroton but I'm trying to be optimistic.
I only have two LEDS, one 200W (picture) and the other 350W.... that's one plant each I'd guess. But I have room. I'm thinking this might be a more forgiving setup for me.
http://www.hightimes.com/read/how-build-two-bucket-dwc-system
2 totes, 1 plant under each light, hopefully get a rotation going (as i have 2 rooms)
It strikes me as a good way to get my feet wet and I'll worry about recirculating and a chiller later (if it's even necessary).

I bought these LEDS 2 years ago from a province far away but was very disappointed that they're made in China. I wish i could see whether they put the muck on the heat sinks the bastids but I ain't about to take it apart.
I did use them in my last grows and noticed much closer nodes and deeper penetration but I think my lamps were about 3 years old when i gave them away.

blah, blah, blah... hahaha, better go now

View attachment small led.jpg

Babies are looking good :icon_smile:

If they were babies, I'd agree but most of these tortured gals are a month old, about a half dozen are 6 weeks! and the youngest is a tad over 2 weeks.
It truly is an amazing plant though. I am actually seeing brown, thin leather like leaves slowly turning green again. And they all seem to be greening up and getting bigger now that I don't give a **** whether they live or die. I am just itching to try your DWC method.

I am still really confused by your ventilation. I would have the 400 cfm vortex up top pulling hot air out. I would not use the 200 cfm. A passive inlet is fine.

I hate to tell you this, but you may want to just start over. Those plants are smaller than most week old seedlings. And unfortunately, plants that have such a hard start in life often never every catch up.

I do not use coco because I simply have never had much luck with it. I also never use Miracle Grow products on principal--Monsanto is raping the earth and they do not care as long as they can make a buck.

There are several reasons that I prefer single DWC buckets and totes rather than RDWC.
But I am late for an appointment. More on why later....

I kinda agree with THG at this point. Your plants are really behind, and they don't have the foundation built to produce well or with any potency. Your learning sopappy, we all did so don't let this be negative, think of all you have learned so far, it is not a defeat to rinse and repeat....sometimes it's just the best thing to do. Also I'll make one more suggestion. Drop one bean and learn how to generally take care of one plant. See the genetics I grow have 4 differing pheo's and each have a little different needs. I grow two different strains (the other has three as far as I can tell, I have only been growing it for about 4 grows now) so my point is this, if I drop two beans, one from each strain I have a random set of 2 out of 7 plants. So get one strain down, and all it's pheno's before planting many different strains without having a good foundation and several successful grows. Thats just my advice.....other may have a different opinion :)

Nice lights, green mojo for your grow.

Hi Rosebud, Happy Birthday!
I was excited about them until I saw Made In China on the box but I'm hopeful. Yields were nothing special but I can't be sure that was the light :). Two things I did notice though were better penetration and shorter distance between nodes.

I am still really confused by your ventilation. I would have the 400 cfm vortex up top pulling hot air out. I would not use the 200 cfm. A passive inlet is fine.

====> The 400 is up there. You can see it behind the picture of the LED up there. It sucks from the filtre can and then out to the basement (or the sewer drain when things get stinky)
There are two rooms, the 200 cfm just pulls air from one room to the other when the door's closed as the passive inputs (furnace or outside)
are in the veg room.

I hate to tell you this, but you may want to just start over. Those plants are smaller than most week old seedlings. And unfortunately, plants that have such a hard start in life often never every catch up.

====> indeed, a waste of electricity. My coco trial was a complete disaster. I didn't have a metre and it was filthy. Flushing just finished them off. But it's still practice with the metre and the nutes and the temperatures so I console myself with that. Next is DWC, I don't want to give up and go back to soil.

I do not use coco because I simply have never had much luck with it. I also never use Miracle Grow products on principal--Monsanto is raping the earth and they do not care as long as they can make a buck.

====> Coco was a big mistake for me. Maybe if I'd rinsed it better but I'm not playing with it anymore.

There are several reasons that I prefer single DWC buckets and totes rather than RDWC.
But I am late for an appointment. More on why later....

====> more up there
Thanks for stopping by. I don't think I have enough light for RDWC but I'm thinking of this two bucket thing though, one setup under each LED
and maybe using 10 gal totes instead of 5 gal buckets.

I kinda agree with THG at this point. Your plants are really behind, and they don't have the foundation built to produce well or with any potency. Your learning sopappy, we all did so don't let this be negative, think of all you have learned so far, it is not a defeat to rinse and repeat....sometimes it's just the best thing to do. Also I'll make one more suggestion. Drop one bean and learn how to generally take care of one plant. See the genetics I grow have 4 differing pheo's and each have a little different needs. I grow two different strains (the other has three as far as I can tell, I have only been growing it for about 4 grows now) so my point is this, if I drop two beans, one from each strain I have a random set of 2 out of 7 plants. So get one strain down, and all it's pheno's before planting many different strains without having a good foundation and several successful grows. Thats just my advice.....other may have a different opinion :)

Waaaaay over my head, Kraven, but decent of you to try :)
I'm trying DWC perhaps as early as this week and I'm dragging you all along with me. You saw those Barney's Farm blister packs I still have... I won't even open one until y'all see pictures of what I plan to try.
See that LED up there? 210W, I have one more bigger at 350W
One seedling under each after the dixie cup thing?
I might go 10 gal totes though and maybe try that two bucket version.

Thanks for the b'day wishes. How many plants are you going to flower under LED? Do you LED's veg too?

Thanks for the b'day wishes. How many plants are you going to flower under LED? Do you LED's veg too?

Right now, I've had the walking dead about a foot below that smaller LED and they did green up a bit but frankly, I think I could turn it off and they wouldn't know the difference.

I used the LEDs last year in veg and flower. I noticed better penetration than the bulbs and shorter distances between nodes but nothing special in the yield department (may or may not have been the LEDs)

I might leave the walking dead under the T5s for awhile, hard to let them go; but I'm now thinking a two bucket (ONE plant) DWC under each LED
Everything under the LEDs, start to finish.

I'm posting every step here... jump in to try to save them anytime :)

That sounds amazing one plant per light. That should rock this grow. Greenest of mojo to you.

That sounds amazing one plant per light. That should rock this grow. Greenest of mojo to you.

If I can do 1/4 as well as Kraven does in that tent, I will be ecstatic.

I kinda agree with THG at this point. Your plants are really behind, and they don't have the foundation built to produce well or with any potency. .... some good stuff snipped... :)

Potency eh? Never thought about that. I'm afraid that is going t be the final nail in the coffin. I wish I had a decent camera but here is a picture of the biggest of the purple orange kush (almost 3 weeks old) I started nutes and the LED last week and measured her wingspan 2 days ago. She has not budged.
Funny thing is the exhaust had a funky smell this morning. I put the vent back down in to the drain and it's gone, so, yup, it was from these plants.
It makes me hesitate to put them out of their misery. I have the room to stick them in the flower under the T5 while I start the DWC setup in veg.
What to do, what to do....
anybody got any experiments they'd like to try on them before I give up or is that just sick and messing with Karma?

View attachment rip.jpg

Last edited:
If I can do 1/4 as well as Kraven does in that tent, I will be ecstatic.

You will get there quicker than I did, think of all the sad mistakes I made along the way, plus I'm pretty sure I have at least three decades more experience than you sopappy. Your gonna get there fast I can tell. Greenest of mojo to you and your grow man.

Sopappy, after this DWC I'm going to go back to soil. When I get ready I would like for you to grow with me, it's about two months away. We will go through all the steps together, use the same dirt and the same methods. That way I can teach you what I know, and maybe learn something from you. Thats only if you want to, we will make it a journal so we can constantly swap pictures and ask questions and we can post everything that we are doing and whats happening with the plant. BUT LIKE I SAID.....only if your interested, no need to feel pressured, if your not interested it will not offend me nor hurt my feelings :)

Ya, yer old... the Hollies? Really?
(great tune, that guitar intro and that base riff in 'Hungry'. A couple of 45s that got lots of time on my Coronet record player)

Ya, yer old... the Hollies? Really?
(great tune, that guitar intro and that base riff in 'Hungry'. A couple of 45s that got lots of time on my Coronet record player)

Lol, I may just be the kid here :)

Latest posts

Back