small catepillars in product

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get them every year, and have yet to find an end all solution to keeping them away. Do diligence is the best I can say. And i don't know where you heard 65RH cure dies. I sure wouldn't be jarring anything airtight for more than a few hours that wet. Cure dies at 55RH. I don't even jar until theyre down to around 60-61 when I cut the buds off the branches. And then burp for weeks slowly drying the rest of the way.
Every and any caterpillar left behind, missed, or just hatched will abandon ship off hangin buds before they should be jarred up. I agree with others as far as cutting out any damage and removing all the **** you see... Good luck

I get them every year, and have yet to find an end all solution to keeping them away. Do diligence is the best I can say. And i don't know where you heard 65RH cure dies. I sure wouldn't be jarring anything airtight for more than a few hours that wet. Cure dies at 55RH. I don't even jar until theyre down to around 60-61 when I cut the buds off the branches. And then burp for weeks slowly drying the rest of the way.
Every and any caterpillar left behind, missed, or just hatched will abandon ship off hangin buds before they should be jarred up. I agree with others as far as cutting out any damage and removing all the **** you see... Good luck

thx for input. i have always jarred between 60 and 65 rh. i did not say they would die at 65 rh.. i did not want to spread out and leave for 24 hours as these buds are not big and would dry too much, too quickly. most of my catpllrs are very small. 1/2 in. long, 1/16 to 1/32dia., have camo like coloring and blend extremely well. i have seen where they have caused mold, also see hairs or web strings left behind. NEVER have seen ****. it would be really tiny. i did have 1 HUGE bright green catpllr. never saw 1 anywhere near that size or color. 1 1/2 in. long. solid 1/8 in. dia. Anyway, how do u know when ur buds are between 60 to 61 rh. when they are still hanging??

hey bro---many people hang their plants to dry before they trim---bugs are much easier to find on a plant hanging on a clothes line if they don't abandon ship while the plant is drying---my rule of thumb to determine time to trim is when the flowers are dry to the touch and just shy of the stem actually snapping when you bed it---trim trim trim---store and burp for final curing---best of luck---sure you can find a hygrometer on the cheap if you need to

Yup, order some cheap hygrometers off amazon. I go by touch hanging. Once theyre feeling pretty dry, stem just shy of snapping. Then I put the branches in large airtight containers with a hygrometer in it. Leave it shut for a day and then check the RH once it settles. When it settles around 60-61, that is when I leave them shut for a day at a time burping for 5-10 mins a day. Once down to about 58 i clip the buds off the stems and do the process again as needed to keep them 56-58. Then jars and less opening. Maybe once a week or so after that. Then less, and less. Just the way I do it. But like I said, doing it this way there arent caterpillars by the time theyre jarred.

Yup, order some cheap hygrometers off amazon. I go by touch hanging. Once theyre feeling pretty dry, stem just shy of snapping. Then I put the branches in large airtight containers with a hygrometer in it. Leave it shut for a day and then check the RH once it settles. When it settles around 60-61, that is when I leave them shut for a day at a time burping for 5-10 mins a day. Once down to about 58 i clip the buds off the stems and do the process again as needed to keep them 56-58. Then jars and less opening. Maybe once a week or so after that. Then less, and less. Just the way I do it. But like I said, doing it this way there arent caterpillars by the time theyre jarred.

i have about 10 caliber 3s, for rh.ing. so u put branches, fan leaves, buds and all in one or more mamahumper air tight container(s). i would think the fan leaves alone would through off the actual rh of the buds.? i go by touch also. most years, i usually hang for 3 days before trim. last indoor grow,after watching m.j. show on cable, i tried trim immediately. pulling fan and mid sized leaves off by hand. i was amazed how much faster it was. i then tried this with o.d. plant. did not work nearly as well. also found that leaving branchs laying on their side,(never mind piled upon 1 another, caused sticking, glueing of leaves to buds and makes trimming take WAY more time. also i read it takes 3 days of air tight to get an accurate reading on MY cal.3s. last i found a couple catpllres deep inside center of buds. looked to be napping for winter. i do agree that hanging for a few days, they or most, prob would have abandoned ship. always thx for ur imput.

I wet trim. How much depends on the structure of the strain/buds themselves. So i have trimmed buds on branches still. Foot and a half long at most each. Then they go into 4 and 8 quart airtight tupperwares (I just cut down the branches to fit)(Also used 5gallon buckets with lids this year, not a bad problem ;) ). Fill the containers about half full so they arent packed in like sardines, with the rh meter inside. Put lid on, leave lid off, back and forth like previous post. All after theyre feeling dry branch not quite snapping. My guessing usually gets them in around 62-66%, where I leave the lid off for a day if its on the high end.

Trimmed wet hanging on branches. On branches into air tight. Off branches into air tight. Into glass burped frequently. Less and less opening. (This year I've added the bovida humidity packs to try out in the long term glass storages.)

I wet trim. How much depends on the structure of the strain/buds themselves. So i have trimmed buds on branches still. Foot and a half long at most each. Then they go into 4 and 8 quart airtight tupperwares (I just cut down the branches to fit)(Also used 5gallon buckets with lids this year, not a bad problem ;) ). Fill the containers about half full so they arent packed in like sardines, with the rh meter inside. Put lid on, leave lid off, back and forth like previous post. All after theyre feeling dry branch not quite snapping. My guessing usually gets them in around 62-66%, where I leave the lid off for a day if its on the high end.

Trimmed wet hanging on branches. On branches into air tight. Off branches into air tight. Into glass burped frequently. Less and less opening. (This year I've added the bovida humidity packs to try out in the long term glass storages.)

got it. i love wet trim as well. have u tried hand plucking large and mid sized leaves yet. boy did that make it go quicker. i tried this with an o.d. plant and leaves would not let go. strings of bark would stay attached and branches would tend to snap. jut wopuld not let go. indoor cool... thanks for detail bud

Yeah, unless theyre yellowing off, the fans will string down the branch I've found. Usually just take a branch at a time. Station one by the compost pile gets all the fans and garbage stuff off with the fiskars. Then move to the table to trim whats left. Mojo dude

Yeah, unless theyre yellowing off, the fans will string down the branch I've found. Usually just take a branch at a time. Station one by the compost pile gets all the fans and garbage stuff off with the fiskars. Then move to the table to trim whats left. Mojo dude

to be clear, my last indoor grow was when i tried plucking, pulling off by hand, fan and mid sized leaves. this REALLY cut down on trim time. LOVED IT.. only tried once, but worked GREAT.. the outdoor plant was different. stringy and would not let go. also breakage. no idea why the diff. Also like fiskers but like "bumble bee" brand also. Yellow and black colored, teflon coated, narrower blades for tight spots, finger holes. use both though. like bumbles for individual leaf removal. found at craft store. fiskers better cutting off multiple sugar leaves at once. haircut method. thx for imput

Latest posts

Back