Hi kids...!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trainfriend

Fat, dumb and happy.
Reaction score
...and all you kids at heart.

Just joined the website at the behest of a friend. Glad to be here. Looking forward to exchanging knowledge with y'all. I've been growing in RDWC for 4 years. A lot of trial and error. A lot of trolling other forums.

Drop a line. Say hello. I'm looking forward to the journey ahead!

Welcome TF. Tell us a bit about yourself. Why RDWC? What kind of results are you getting? Mostly, how can we help you now that your a member?

Welcome TF. Tell us a bit about yourself. Why RDWC? What kind of results are you getting? Mostly, how can we help you now that your a member?

Why RDWC??? Because I'm impatient of course! I want big plants FAST! If I'm going to spend money on electricity I may as well maximize the harvest. I also like to live dangerously by practicing this high risk/high reward method of growing. LOL

But seriously...

My wife and I are CareGivers in RI. We had limited space and a need to maximize each crop to satisfy demand. We use an Under Current 6 site system with XL spacing. We also use LED in the form of Black Dog Phytomox Lights. One is a 1000w, the other is a 770w. Why LED? We used them to solve a heat problem. We couldn't control the heat of MH or HPS lighting. LED works fine for us. We yield about 63 ounces every two months +/- a couple depending on how effective we are with our day to day tasks. We all know how laborious this "hobby" can be at times and our professional lives can consume a fair amount of our "spare time". I work in Cybersecurty and she works in Dentistry. If we're on top of things in terms of pruning and defoliation strategies we end up on the PLUS side of that equation. When we're lacking...we end up on the MINUS side.

I'm not certain how the site can help us but after years of doing this on our own I met fellow site member "Grass Hopper" who gushed about the site so I decided to come out of the darkness. Perhaps I can help others who come up short in their quest. The one thing we haven't done very well is drying/curing. We fell into a rut when we were selling large amounts of "wet weight" to local dispensaries. As a result there was no need to worry about such "trivialities". LOL I see there are a good number of Stickies relating to the topic and Grass Hopper has been ever so kind in sharing his knowledge of the subject. We're harvesting some Green Crack this Saturday providing our "flushing" is complete. So it's time for us to get ramped up in one of the one main areas we are falling short.

What about yourself Kraven? I notice you're a frequent poster and have read quite a few articles where your name pops up. You're certainly not afraid to step up and help others. Kudos to you!

Welcome to MP:)!

BBP in the house!!! Thanks for the welcome dude! Your avatar is scaring me a little. It looks like a cross between Frankenstein's Bride, Freddy Krueger and something else I can't quite put my finger on...YET. Help me out...who is that?

Welcome trainfreind, glad to see you've ended up here, great people all passing their knowledge to all of us that can benefit greatly.

Welcome trainfreind, glad to see you've ended up here, great people all passing their knowledge to all of us that can benefit greatly.

Thanks for the welcome Dan. I see you're an MJP newbie too. Are you new to growing or, like me, have you been growing for a while and just now come out of the shadows?

What about yourself Kraven? I notice you're a frequent poster and have read quite a few articles where your name pops up. You're certainly not afraid to step up and help others. Kudos to you!

TF it sounds like your a very experienced grower. Lot of folks around here can claim that title. What we all have in common here is a genuine desire to help others. Me I'm just a hack, I run a little ebb/flow with coco chunk under some LED's. Like everyone here though, I learn and try to share what I have learned to better the community. You will find that here we don't whip out the ruler to measure how big or small your grow is....size truely does not matter to us. I think you will find a good community of passionate growers and mmj advocates here and we are glad you came. Peace

TF it sounds like your a very experienced grower. Lot of folks around here can claim that title. What we all have in common here is a genuine desire to help others. Me I'm just a hack, I run a little ebb/flow with coco chunk under some LED's. Like everyone here though, I learn and try to share what I have learned to better the community. You will find that here we don't whip out the ruler to measure how big or small your grow is....size truely does not matter to us. I think you will find a good community of passionate growers and mmj advocates here and we are glad you came. Peace

I checked out one of your grow journals. I noticed that light LED of yours. What model is that? It looks very familiar. Do you know how many watts it pulls from the wall? IMO that's the only way to truly compare LED to traditional MH/HPS lighting. Again...IMO. YMMV.

Yea they are 520w draw. Here is the quick spec's on them.

520W (one-to-one replacement for 1000W HPS)
PPF: 830 µmol
On-board dimming (direct dimming and non-dimming versions available)
Low energy consumption
Waterproof (IP66)
Lightweight and silent
Fixture weight: 37 lbs.
Fixture dimensions: 4′ x 2′
96 ultra-efficient illumitex Surexi F3 LED arrays; each array at 5.4 watts
Passive heat sink (no fans)
Integrated power supply
ETL/cETL listing
RoHS compliant

I run all Illumitex commercial fixtures. That is a NeoSol DS [direct dim 10-100%] that you probably saw.... but it may have been the NeoSol NS (x2) that I use in veg....50w draw 100w HID eq. Not sure which set of fixtures your referencing?

Trainfriend, I'm not new to growing but not anywhere as experienced as most of the older members (length of time, not age). I've got an Sunset sherbet and GDP grow getting close, utilizing LEDs. :watchplant:

Trainfriend, I'm not new to growing but not anywhere as experienced as most of the older members (length of time, not age). I've got an Sunset sherbet and GDP grow getting close, utilizing LEDs. :watchplant:

I'm really surprised by the growing numbers of LED growers I'm finding out there. Harley Smith agrees. LED lights have the ability to paint a wide spectrum of light in the right ranges. Three years ago people laughed at us LED growers...now the're starting to mimic us. Some people start a path...others follow. :)

That being said, I just watched my friend of mine, an experienced grower with a State issued Cultivators License, do a side by side with a 1000W Black Dog Phytomax vs. a 1000W double ended Gavita. The plant under the Gavita outperformed the BD Phytomax but 2 ounces. 38 ounces to 36 ounces.

FUN FACT (or not): After the contest was over Black Dog asked if he increased the temp of the room to 85 degrees F where the LED plant was grown. BD insists that their studies show plants grown under LED grow best under those higher temps. So I gave it a shot. This last run of ours was grown under those 80-85 degree conditions. We had no signs of heat stress and the plants performed very well. I noticed our Green Crack got frosty about two weeks sooner than previous runs. (LED gets those terpenes flowing!!!) I'm curious to see what the Lab Results are when we get them back to see where the THC levels end up.

Trainfriend, on my current grow, I've just added minimal heat via a portable oil filled radiator, temps no where near 85, more like averaging 60-70 degrees. Seems like both of my stains are doing good. With the recent rains though had to add a dehumidifier to counter the risk of PM. My thoughts are to maximize the amount of light, watch your PH, have a good regimen of nutrients and keep the air moving 24/7. :watchplant:

TF I run about 84F in flower, but I'm gassing them so its to effect VPD. I have really never seen heat stress under 90F (well strain dependent) with adequate ventilation and light distance. Not to say it doesn't happen, but land race equatorial sativa's spend months in 90's and seem to thrive. Peace

Trainfriend, on my current grow, I've just added minimal heat via a portable oil filled radiator, temps no where near 85, more like averaging 60-70 degrees. Seems like both of my stains are doing good. With the recent rains though had to add a dehumidifier to counter the risk of PM. My thoughts are to maximize the amount of light, watch your PH, have a good regimen of nutrients and keep the air moving 24/7. :watchplant:

We had good results keeping our grow in the low to mid 70s too. This was what we read and learned from other growers out there when we got started. The advantage to raising the temp to 80-85 degrees F is the less cooling required in the grow area. I can't speak to the final outcome of the test yet however. We're harvesting now so I won't know the final "Grams Per Watt" tally until it's cured and weighed.

Latest posts

Back