Genetic issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hushpuppy

Dr MadBud
Reaction score
I have a plant (strawberry sour diesel) that I have run one time and saved a clone from it. The plant did very well on its first run but the clone has done nothing but struggle. I have tried raising the pH some and lowering it some but this thing seems to be genetically weak. This plant is smaller than its mother plant that I harvested 2 weeks ago.

I am noticing with this clone that the branches on the left hemisphere are growing well but on the right hemisphere, all the branches are gimpy like they have a defect. I was thinking about taking cuttings from the stronger side and see if they do any better.

In the first pic, the grape Kush on the left is half the age of the SSD on the right.

View attachment IMG_20180129_160942810_HDR.jpg

View attachment IMG_20180201_125033091_HDR.jpg

I don't know about PH issues, I am sorry HP, nice to see you by the way Hush. If it was a rose I would say it has virus. Since it isn't others much smarter will be by.
Are the tops not affected? did you have a bug? Good luck HP. If anyone can fix it is you.

I take 10 clones and root them, then select the best 2 or 3 to grow out. I throw away many more clones than I actually use, just for this very reason.

I was just reading something the other day about how clones taken from weak branches or weak parts of the plant will exhibit those traits throughout it's life.

I always thought clones were clones but I have noticed in the past how some clones just didn't meet the grade while others from the same plant flourished. Then, I read that article and it explained why.

Like Umbra, I toss a large number of clones. I took 30 on this last batch from of 3 mothers and I can only flower 16 of them.

I have 3 theories one is either that plant on the right got really dry or it’s a heavier feeder or Cal mag issue not letting it up take the right nutrients because it’s more finicky The one on the left is looking a little bit light green as well

I take 10 clones and root them, then select the best 2 or 3 to grow out. I throw away many more clones than I actually use, just for this very reason.

Interesting, survival of the fitest? Do you grow with seeds too?
I've been getting 2-4 out 10 -12 seeds to maturity for 2 years now (regular seeds but still crummy or so i thought)
Maybe I should be okay with this instead bemoaning the seed suppliers for crap product, my setup or grower prowess.
hmmmm, maybe it is me, at least you get a herd to cull...
It's not me, it's not the seeds, it's heartless mother nature, doesn't she know how expensive seeds are?

Yes I grow from seed. I currently have 12 strains going from seed. Most are sexed and in the tent. The others are in the closet waiting to get a turn in the tent. The main flowering space will run 1 main plant and then a couple of girls auditioning for the main stage to see how they perform.

Do you think it would be worth trying to take cuttings from the left side that has stronger looking branches? I haven't tried the smoke yet but the bud looks and smells great.

Latest posts

Back