rosin press

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the controller will very in readings And I did check thermal reading and was closer to 200*

I like to use the Bags too keep plant materials out the product. and yes some is lost in the mesh. as for square versus round pucks..I got better results with round ones. square ones seem to leave Goo behind.

When I first was building mine I wired the box as Youtube said and fried two boxes.. a friend helped with wire diagram and BAM!!!! Squish is On..

Good Discussion :48:

LMTSGA

sorry was gonna post a pic of my wiring but would not allow

:confused:

I am thinking that the plates and controller I ordered might be in tomorrow and I could be pressing rosin by this weekend. Thanks for the tip on the fresh frozen bud--I also misunderstood the method. Can we press fresh bud that hasn't been frozen?

The cross-sectional area of your plates and the 5 x 3 I am getting is not that much different, so, I am thinking of going with a 2 gram press, like you do. I have parchment paper, so will use that. I think that pressing pucks would help keep green material out of your rosin.

Cool, you're going to love making rosin.

Don't use the kind of parchment with foil on one side. I tried that once and it over-cooked everything.

I also hear there are different results from different kinds of parchment. All I have tried are Reynolds and Kirkland. I don't recall there being much difference. I don't like the organic stuff because it's brown color makes it harder to see the rosin. I use white for that reason.

You had the right idea making the puck-maker out of a PVC pipe and a ram rod. I was going to use a broomstick. I just happened to have this buddy who set me up with the one I have. If you have trouble with the pot sticking to whatever you use for the plunger , use a piece of scrap parchment in between. I went to the craft store and bought a 1" diameter punch and I punch little circles and drop them in with the pot to make it so it won't stick to the plunger.

I have pressed fresh picked and it is a little runny and hard to collect. You will find that the amount of moisture in the pot makes a huge difference in yield. I am still experimenting but it seems like the drier the better.

You'll find your sweet spot for temp and pressure on the press and humidity in your pot.

I found a huge difference in yield when I moved my press from the basement (wet) to my room upstairs (dry).

Yeah, pressing pucks helps keep the greenies out but using a filter is the primo way to do it. I just can't seem to get the hang of using filter bags. I always rupture the bag or over-cook the package. Something bad happens every time I try. LOL Trying to press dry sift in a filter was even more disastrous.

Also, a glass swizzle stick works great for collecting the rosin off the parchment.

If it's runny, turn up the temp. If it's shattery and flakes off the parchment, turn down the temp or press for less time.

I like mine nice and sticky so it sticks right to the glass swizzle stick and to itself.

Let me know if you have problems on startup.

UPS tracking shows that my package is out for delivery! Because we are out in the country, we usually get our deliveries late in the day. I'm excited to do this. So, it will be a project for tomorrow. I have white parchment paper. I'll have to see if I can find a glass swizzle stick. LOL--you can be sure to hear from me if I have problems. I am re-reading posts and re-watching videos (but , boy, there is a lot of garbage out there, isn't there?

Hamster, I mentioned this in the other thread, but I am surprised by how little pressure the RosinBomb exerts. If we can really produce rosin with 167 psi, it gives us way more options on making our own rosin presses (and for a lot less than $600). Pressing pressure was one of those things that I had a hard time finding any kind of definitive information on.

Total available pressure really means nothing to us. For large presses over the few grams that we are pressing, total available pressure becomes an issue.

I only have an 8 ton table top model and if I press it all the way, the rosin bleeds right though the parchment. I almost never use the full pressure.

It's all about PSI.

For those peeps that are pressing ounces at a time, to get the PSI that we are getting on our tiny presses, they need the larger 30 ton style presses.

I'll try to go back and find what the ideal PSI was but after a while, you'll get a feel for what's right.

What would really be cool is a pressure gauge.

If we can really produce rosin with 167 psi, it gives us way more options on making our own rosin presses (and for a lot less than $600). Pressing pressure was one of those things that I had a hard time finding any kind of definitive information on.

The first few times I did this, I used a hair straightener and my old arthritic hands. Later, we figured the clamps and vices. I stood on mine and it worked great.

My next couple experiments were using a 1 ton arbor press. Again, results were just as good in these little quantities but you had to hold it down and my arm got tired. LOL

Only then, did I finally upgrade to the HF tabletop press.

167 PSI sounds a little light but I'll try to sift though that thread at mjp and see if I can find it. Sundown or sunflower or whatever his name was and a few other of them figured out the optimum PSI

Thanks for the links. Actually though it seems that the size of the plates is not the determining factor--it is the size of the puck (or bag) that is being pressed. This, of course, makes sense. I agree that an air gauge would be nice, but the cost for a press with an air gauge was more than I wanted to spend.

I got the plates and control unit last evening. They look to be very well made--I am excited to try them out. If these work out, you could put together a rosin press with an inexpensive bench or floor press from HF for around $300.

Couple things that I found out lately.

I have had zero luck with filters and bags up 'til now.

I had some polyester silkscreen cloth laying around from the days when we used to make bubble bags out of them (before you could buy them online everywhere).

I made a bag out of a small piece and tested it... wow, , works great. I did about a half ounce that way and the rosin was beautiful. I still got the same yield so the filter/cloth didn't eat much (which has always been a problem for me) and.... the stuff is dirt cheap. As I recall, a few bucks a square yard. Way cheaper than those premade filters.

The other thing is decarb'ing rosin. I have always decarb'd everything (including rosin) in the oven. 240F for 40 min. Always seemed to be OK.

In recent conversations with Gray Wolf from SkunkPharm and The Alchemist I noticed he always decabs his rosin on the stovetop/hot plate. I started doing it that way and it is so much better in so many ways.

His explanation makes total sense, in short, explaining how the carbon is dropped via O2, etc..... just watch the bubbles. LOL

I put 1 to 2 grams in my tiny beaker and put it on my hotplate. This small of a beaker is hard to control temps but I keep it between 220 and 280 or so. Mostly, like GW says, watching the bubbles. As the large bubbles stop and the tiny bubble gather on the edge, the rosin is decarb'd just right. All the C is gone via the O2 bubbles and the acids have converted.

I have done it this way the past 3 times I made stuff and each time I tested the potency and it always seems to come out just perfect.

Also, while I am heating the rosin, I stir it with a digital thermometer to watch the temps. Then, when all the bubbles stop, I lower the temp to 180F and add whatever I want to add (coconut oil or whatever) and I can just keep it "on the stove" while I add my ingredients.

Plus, it takes me about 10 minutes to completely decarb 1 gram of rosin.

You may want to try it this way once you get up and running.

86CBFD9D-3D8B-4CCA-8FAB-EE373BCAECEE.jpeg
Im getting closer, here are the raw materials before a couple days of machine work and some welding transforms this pile of material into the press. Hoping to make time for this pretty soon, got that one auto comeing due in a couple weeks.

DabPress just released another version if this helps to give you any ideas for your design....

dabpress-mini-rosin-press-dp-hr10t35-impact-hydraulic-rosin-press_1024x1024.jpg

Thanks Hackerman, this appears to be a well thought out unit. Most of them look quite cumbersom, to me anyway.

Mine will be a simple, no bells or whistles manual 10 ton press.

Unless your picture is weird, that looks like a little 'stubby' bottle jack. Pretty cool, if it is.

Yea, i looked at a lot of them before finding this one. 10 ton, 1 5/8 stroke, 12 lb, 6 5/8 extended!
Amazon of course.

Last edited:
Nice thread! I always find myself reading about this rosin press thing with great interest. Rose I want to see that 1oz press! I agree that you and THG are cool indeed to be getting this type of tool. This site, the MP family has many of cool people imo. Kraven built a couple nice ones. I need one of those things...

Latest posts

Back