Rat in my growoom

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As always, the best defense is offense. Get a cat, he doesn't have to live in the grow room but he should be able to rid your whole house of rats/mice just by making his presence known. Plus he/she will be good company...

i used to have so many chipmunks they stole a entire 5 gal bucket of pecans within one day. now my cats go outside and my rodent population has gone down dramatically.

here is what zem needs. "redneck rat trap" or any rodent, maybe a small dog too. haha
i used some like this in jail, only we did not think of using a can with the bait, i bet that works better than just bait in the bottom of the bucket

here is what zem needs. "redneck rat trap" or any rodent, maybe a small dog too. haha
i used some like this in jail, only we did not think of using a can with the bait, i bet that works better than just bait in the bottom of the bucket

Oh damn, I wish I had seen this one before I had em rotting and stinking the place. Where were you yarddog?

sorry zem, i come around with a good idea every now and then. ever hear the term, "day late and a dollar short? thats me!!

Up until now, the smell is still contained. My number 1 worry is not to make enough stink to alert anyone. Up until now the smell is not becoming much more potent if I may say and I cannot go around searching and cleaning. They contain nasty microbes and I am not disturbing the bodies. I think they are dead inside my intake ducting that is lined with insulation, that I guess is perfect for them to hide in. I am preparing an emergency excavation plan for my plants so that if I had to I will remove them all outside. I am also sure that I have something dead inside my growing chamber where I first saw the rat droppings. That place cannot be entered except through a tight window, I cannot enter when the smell is still there. The smell is close to the exhaust so this is far from stinking the indoors, and I doubt that it can reach someone in the outdoor and alarm them. I hope that it is only a couple of rats that are decomposing. I read that it can take up to 3 weeks for them to decompose

decomposing rats! yuck! Is it hot there? traps next time... maybe keep a trap set all the time?

well the grow area itself is not specifically hot but the weather is now hot, and there is very good ventilation

Yep,,thats what i thought was going to happen. Dead stinking rats in places you dont want them. Yuk

Okay so like every ordeal, it has to have an end, and so the smell is now dissipating. By merely placing my tshirt over my nose, I was barely able to detect any smell left, and the one that was the first one that ate poison inside my growing chamber is like gone. I need some time before I will have a chance to empty the room and clean up. I will do a major re-design for the entire room that I wanted to do for a while. Cheers!

The bad thing about rats and mice,,, if they can get their heads through the hole, they WILL get their bodies through. I have them continuously getting into my house from the fields beside my house. I have to keep traps set. They make a trap that you can pick up and release the dead critter without ever touching the critter. I bait them with Pnut butter as they cant resist it. Haven't had them in the grow. Ive had fire, flood, bugs, and fungus, but no critters yet. :)

Here ya go. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071ZF2VZJ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
this is the trap for you. make them walk the rolling log and fall into a bucket of water to drown. My wife used the sticky traps at work but quit using them because she had to listen to the critters cry when they got caught on the trap. I like the traps that look like alligator clamps. Quick and squeekless.

Last edited by a moderator:
HP I will be using this trap anytime that I need it in the future. Unfortunately, it is now too late that the rats are all dead, and the smell is dissipating more every day.

Oh damn, the worst thing just happened. Some flies apparently got in and laid some eggs and now I have flies all over. I cannot go in because they just exploded within a couple of days from first sighting. I grabbed a household pesticide spray, shut the exhaust and just nuked em fast and escaped. I don't want them to transmit any diseases. I have no buds whatsoever in there. I hope this keeps them controlled at least some time that I really need before I can evacuate everything from in there. I will now turn on the exhaust. I left the lights on to keep the flies inside. This is not a good experience...

I have the flies controlled I am glad to say. This has got to be the worst experience that I ever had in my growroom, even though I am not really growing any buds at this time, just keeping some small plants as strains in an automatic feeding system. I had my room flooded like a sinking ship and it was an easier experience than these damn rats. It was my first time that I deal with them indoors, I normally have bait stations designed for rats which are boxes that rats can enter but not cats and rats cannot carry poison outside like these http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/rat-bait-stations-c-21_333.html?page=all They do great to keep outdoor rats away but it is horrible to use in an enclosed space and IF I ever encounter this problem again, the rotating log trap would be the method of choice to try

Rats are really hard to deal with and whats worst is they multiply fast if not removed on their den. In our house we use glue traps, we caught most of them but they just keep on coming. Good luck to you Zem.

Zem, get a strong vacuum cleaner and go in there with that running. if any mice pop out, suck them up with the vacuum while sucking up the droppings. :eek:

Latest posts

Back