New Grow Started Guys!!!!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morethanherb

Reaction score
This is going to be my first grow alone, and I wanted to be on here for some advice or opinions and of course strain reports when done! I ordered seeds from worldwide marijuana seeds and received them in about a week. I ordered cream caramel auto, and great white shark auto. It also came with two free photoperiods that im going to plant after these are harvested. So I purchased the largest plastic container I could find, Usually people use it for storage in garages, sports items and such. I cut multiple slits on the bottom for drainage. My thoughts were, no transplanting, so less stress on the plant, and also The containers large size because I want the roots to have room to thrive. I filled it with 2 40 lb bags of an organic potting soil that I purchased at a local garden store. its "garden pro" potting soil. I wanted to get a soil thats low in nutes so it doesnt get over fed as a seedling. I also got "green light" super bloom for the nutes. Its the only one i purchased as I know autos skip vegging state so i wanted a flowering nute. the npk is 12-55-6 and it also has .10% iron. Im thinking of using it around 2-3 weeks into growth, and no fertilizer before than. I filled the tub with soil and watered it, then put both seeds about a half inch under the soil. I have 4 40 watt fluro tubes im using for the whole grow. its a closet grow and the lumen output of all 4 is around 15,000 i believe, dont remember correctly, for two autoflowers. Im keeping the lights on right now for warmth and just watered the soil a little bit again as it looked dry. Im still waiting for them to sprout, they were planted april 30th around 10 pm. Any suggestions for the grow are appreciated, pics up when they sprout!

started one in the autoflower section, sorry about posting thee thread twice ha im not thinking too straight atm.

morethanherb said:
This is going to be my first grow alone, and I wanted to be on here for some advice or opinions and of course strain reports when done! I ordered seeds from worldwide marijuana seeds and received them in about a week. I ordered cream caramel auto, and great white shark auto. It also came with two free photoperiods that im going to plant after these are harvested. So I purchased the largest plastic container I could find, Usually people use it for storage in garages, sports items and such. I cut multiple slits on the bottom for drainage. My thoughts were, no transplanting, so less stress on the plant, and also The containers large size because I want the roots to have room to thrive. I filled it with 2 40 lb bags of an organic potting soil that I purchased at a local garden store. its "garden pro" potting soil. I wanted to get a soil thats low in nutes so it doesnt get over fed as a seedling. I also got "green light" super bloom for the nutes. Its the only one i purchased as I know autos skip vegging state so i wanted a flowering nute. the npk is 12-55-6 and it also has .10% iron. Im thinking of using it around 2-3 weeks into growth, and no fertilizer before than. I filled the tub with soil and watered it, then put both seeds about a half inch under the soil. I have 4 40 watt fluro tubes im using for the whole grow. its a closet grow and the lumen output of all 4 is around 15,000 i believe, dont remember correctly, for two autoflowers. Im keeping the lights on right now for warmth and just watered the soil a little bit again as it looked dry. Im still waiting for them to sprout, they were planted april 30th around 10 pm. Any suggestions for the grow are appreciated, pics up when they sprout!

I have some suggestions that I believe are quite important. First of all, I would not germinate your seeds in a large tub. It is too hard to control the moisture and makes germing the seeds that much tougher. In addition, you are going to want to start with soil with NO nutrients in it whatsoever. Nuted soil will kill seedlings. You are also most likely going to need to amend your soil as straight potting soil is probably not going to have good drainage properties. Check out the organic section for some good soil mixtures.

Did you buy fem seeds? If not, you are going to want to plant about 6 seeds to up the odds of getting 2 viable females.

I am not familiar with the nutrients that you have chosen, but 12-55-6 sounds a little strong for younger plants. I also believe that autos should have a couple weeks of veg nutes to insure that they have enough N to last through flowering.

Unless your closet is quite small, I believe that you are going to find yourself underlit. Do you know the lumens? Are you running T8s or T12s? What is the color spectrum? Even HOT5s, which has the best lumen to watt ratio of all fluoro tubes does not put out 93.75 lumens per watt, so I believe that your actual lumens are probably quite a bit lower, like maybe around 10,000. You are going to want a minimum of 5000 lumens per sq ft and more is better.

I didn't see any mention of ventilation. Ventilation is almost as important as your lighting. Plants require a continual supply of fresh air all the time the lights are on for proper photosynthesis. Once the seedlings emerge, it is also important to have a small oscillating fan that blows on them to help strengthen the main stem.

Ive got a fan for when the seedlings sprout, the seeds are femmed, and um i believe it was around 4k lumen each bulb 4x4 =16,000, my numbers may be off i dont have the boxes but i believe it was close to that. as for the soil, its a general potting mix with wood ash and perlite and such and has no added nutes, the only nutes i planned on using was the one i mentioned and i planned on beginning its use as soon as it began flowering, as ive read autos can do quite well with just water and light until they begin flowering. What other nutes would you recommend though? and the space of the grow in my closet is like 2ft by 2ft i believe, just the one container.

What other nutes would you recommend though?

Cal/MAg....and get ya a good PH meter

take care and be safe

ok thanks for the ideas. im just going about this one real calm, i feel like after all the research ive done ive realized that some people tend to do alot more than they actually should or even need to for their plants. because after all, they are plants, and nature is hardy on its own.

4u2sm0ke said:
Cal/MAg....and get ya a good PH meter

take care and be safe

So what do you consider to be a good PH meter? Thanks.

morethanherb said:
Ive got a fan for when the seedlings sprout, the seeds are femmed, and um i believe it was around 4k lumen each bulb 4x4 =16,000, my numbers may be off i dont have the boxes but i believe it was close to that. as for the soil, its a general potting mix with wood ash and perlite and such and has no added nutes, the only nutes i planned on using was the one i mentioned and i planned on beginning its use as soon as it began flowering, as ive read autos can do quite well with just water and light until they begin flowering. What other nutes would you recommend though? and the space of the grow in my closet is like 2ft by 2ft i believe, just the one container.

How did you get 4' tubes into a 2 x 2 space? I have never seen 40W tubes that emit 4000 lumens--even T5s do not emit that many lumens per watt and they have the highest output of any fluoro tubes. The color spectrum is important too.

You stated in your first post that the soil had low nutes in it and then in the next post you say that there are no nutes??????

Milwaukee PH pen. you can get one for under 25 bux, usually shipped. Check out ebay for the best deals.

morethanherb said:
ok thanks for the ideas. im just going about this one real calm, i feel like after all the research ive done ive realized that some people tend to do alot more than they actually should or even need to for their plants. because after all, they are plants, and nature is hardy on its own.

This is a real misconception. Marijuana plants take a lot of care--I do not know one single person who "tends to do alot more than they actually should or even need to for their plants". The ones that grow in the wild become feral with no high. This plant is not a weed and it will not do well when left on its own. There are certain minimum requirements if you want to grow a quality plant indoors--it is just going to produce dank on its own. It takes a lot of time, money, effort, study, and love to bring a plant to fruitition with a quality harvest. I have grown marijuana for over 30 years. There are no shortcuts.

drfting07 said:
Milwaukee PH pen. you can get one for under 25 bux, usually shipped. Check out ebay for the best deals.

Great, I found it on Amazon for $19.95. Appreciate it.

The trick is to maximize potential. Have some spare $$$ for emergencies like pests. You need a room fan too to move air and an extraction inline fan. A RH/thermometer is good too. I like the remote ones.
Are you planting more than one plant per container? Kinda confused on that.

Like i said the soil is a general potting mix with no to low nutrients in it. the bag doesnt have percentages as there are NO ADDED nutrients. By people doing more than they should, i mean outrageous germ methods, like the paper towel method, these are plants, nature is nature, let it germ in soil, let it use its own energy as a seedling, some people do TOO much, and completely ruin the whole nature aspect of growing. its turned into more than appreciating nature and the plant, thats what i mean by people doing too much. the container is approx two ft by two ft, the light tubes themselves are larger than the grow container.. I have two cool and two warm for a broader spectrum, and yeah the box says 3000 lumens per bulb so around 12000 lumens. t8s

You are still underestimating this growing thing--I have never seen people do TOO much with their grow. It is going to take A LOT of work for you to get your plants to harvest. Anything positive you do will most likely still just be minimal and not too much. Many of us here have been growing for many decades....you are going to probably want to take us at our word on some things. LOL--I have a grandson older than you.

The paper towel method of germing is not outrageous or over the top. It is a common method and there are reasons that people do it. And nature doesn't do that great a job or marijuana would not go feral after several years. Growing good bud does takes a lot of work and the manipulating of "nature". Indoors, we are not trying to mimic nature, we are trying to improve on it, providing the ideal growing environment to get the best bud possible. It is going to take 9-12 weeks even for autos to go from seed to a smokable product. You are going to want to have something special to show after that much time and energy is put into something.

I doesn't matter how large the container is, it matters how large your space is. The light is going to disburse throughout your entire space. So, if your space is actually 2 x 2 with absolutely no space around your container, you would have minimal light for vegging in a 4 sq ft space. However, the fact that you have a 4' light in there tells us that the space is 4' or longer. So you have a space that is at least 8 sq ft and probably larger. At 8 sq ft, you are running 1500 lumens per sq ft, not nearly enough, especially when flowering autos. If your space is larger than 8 sq ft, the lumens are less.

Look at some soil mixtures in the organic section. I don't know anyone that uses just potting soil straight out of the bag with no amendments. It is never really the right mixture for mj.

Trust that we are trying to help you here and not discourage you, but....you simply do not have nearly enough light and the t8s have limited penetrating power. Unless you get more/better light in there, you are going to end up with a minimal harvest of very light airy buds with very little "kick". And truly, few people give their plants "too much". There really is a lot that goes into growing. I have been growing for over 30 years and I still learn new better stuff all the time. Don't believe that nature can do all you want it to do, it simply won't.

I have 4 40 watt fluros that im using for the whole grow, in addition to a 600 watt metal halide for when they are older and less prone to burn. By people doing too much, i mean the common mistakes that are made when people begin to grow, over watering, too many nutes, thats what im meaning by people doing too much as well. Also im not using the same soil the whole time, im using a nute void one at first until the plant has a few tiers of leaves then im transplanting it into the fox farms ocean forest when i feel its ready. ive been shorting out alot of info on my posts as when im on here im usually rushing. the great white shark has sprouted and is under the fluros in a terra cotta pot until it becomes root bound then which im going to plant into a 16qt potter with fox farms ocean forest. the cream caramel sadly had no embryo, and was just air, im assuming it was immature as it did look too light in color. ive planted a femmed critical sensi star now as well due to the caramel not sprouting. im assuming the batch of seeds i ordered wasnt the best one due to a few not germinating. but im stoked for the great white shark and am putting my eggs in one basket because its the only seedling, thanks for the comments!

Latest posts

Back