Rusting/Reddening/"Purpling?" Fan Leaf Stems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

getnasty

Reaction score
I've noticed this on my fan leaves ONLY since switching over to the HPS. It may have been going on before, but I hadn't noticed it until now. Or if I had, I was too baked to remember to post about it. Haha. What's causing this? Is this a strain trait? Pheno possibly? Or is something I'm doing causing this?

2012-04-29_09-56-26_445.jpg

Hey Gnasty my friend be sayin this in another thread bout the purple branches some here think it be a bad deficiantcy I recall but my plants always have purple to the branches and they have always growed up fine for me as I never realy cared thought it was normal guess for me grows as its always there. Others might to be more helpful and knowledgable bout this issue. Hopin trails find yual travilin well.

BWD

I just glanced over our Resource Section and it could be a number of things. Or like you said it could be strain dependent. With the little bit that you have, I would not worry to much. As from what I can see the rest of the plant looks nice.

They explain it fairly well there in our RS with pics. Wish I could help more but it is so hard to do when you are not eyeballing them in person.

BackWoodsDrifter said:
Hey Gnasty my friend be sayin this in another thread bout the purple branches some here think it be a bad deficiantcy I recall but my plants always have purple to the branches and they have always growed up fine for me as I never realy cared thought it was normal guess for me grows as its always there. Others might to be more helpful and knowledgable bout this issue. Hopin trails find yual travilin well.

BWD

Hmmm, do you grow the same strain over and over, BWD? Or do you grow different strains at the same time? Or do you grow one strain one grow, and then follow it up with a different strain for the next? I'm curious, because, if this is something that happens to all of your plants regardless of strain, the constant would be your environment. I've noticed my plants have never seemed to mind the heat. Even when my closet was peaking at 92 degrees. They loved it. Very little heat stress. At night, temps are getting around the low 70s in there, probably. Maybe lower, when I have the a/c running. It could be causing it, could it not? I've heard of cooler temperatures causing purpling in plants, but I've never seen it first hand so I don't know what it looks like.

pcduck said:
I just glanced over our Resource Section and it could be a number of things. Or like you said it could be strain dependent. With the little bit that you have, I would not worry to much. As from what I can see the rest of the plant looks nice.

They explain it fairly well there in our RS with pics. Wish I could help more but it is so hard to do when you are not eyeballing them in person.
I'll have a gander over there and see what's to be checking up on. Thanks for the tip. It's not just localized to those branches, though. Most, if not all, of my fan leaves have this "rusting" going on. But it does not occur on ANY of my colas/branches.

getnasty said:
Hmmm, do you grow the same strain over and over, BWD? Or do you grow different strains at the same time? Or do you grow one strain one grow, and then follow it up with a different strain for the next? I'm curious, because, if this is something that happens to all of your plants regardless of strain, the constant would be your environment. I've noticed my plants have never seemed to mind the heat. Even when my closet was peaking at 92 degrees. They loved it. Very little heat stress. At night, temps are getting around the low 70s in there, probably. Maybe lower, when I have the a/c running. It could be causing it, could it not? I've heard of cooler temperatures causing purpling in plants, but I've never seen it first hand so I don't know what it looks like.

Thankin ya fur yur questions friend will say last few grows I have been doin have been either G13 or Northern Lights or skunk are the main 3 I be cookin with right now but before this i was working with family bag seed handed down from generation to generation reckon I still have these hundreds of these seeds be bout 70 years old now or so but everytime I put to miosture they still be splittin fur me so i use them time to time cause they never let me down as fur my temps be regular set to bout 78-80 lights on and drops down to bout 68-70 lights out. So thats bout all I can tell ya friend hopin it helps yual out.

BWD

getnasty said:
I'll have a gander over there and see what's to be checking up on. Thanks for the tip. It's not just localized to those branches, though. Most, if not all, of my fan leaves have this "rusting" going on. But it does not occur on ANY of my colas/branches.

Sometimes in flower the plant will draw all energy and nutriants out the big leaves to feed and nurture rest of plant during flower production this is normal if this is what goin on.

BWD

BackWoodsDrifter said:
Thankin ya fur yur questions friend will say last few grows I have been doin have been either G13 or Northern Lights or skunk are the main 3 I be cookin with right now but before this i was working with family bag seed handed down from generation to generation reckon I still have these hundreds of these seeds be bout 70 years old now or so but everytime I put to miosture they still be splittin fur me so i use them time to time cause they never let me down as fur my temps be regular set to bout 78-80 lights on and drops down to bout 68-70 lights out. So thats bout all I can tell ya friend hopin it helps yual out.

BWD
Right around the same ranges I'm at, as I'm sure most people are. I'm kinda leaning toward a strain trait, as the bagseed I'm growing right next to it does not shoe this discoloration. It's in the same soil, and has received the same feeding that the large plant has. And has been in the same environment throughout both of their lives. The math just adds up to strain trait, but I'm going to go take a look at the Resources now.

BackWoodsDrifter said:
Sometimes in flower the plant will draw all energy and nutriants out the big leaves to feed and nurture rest of plant during flower production this is normal if this is what goin on.

BWD
Ahhh, a bundle of information you are, good sir! Thank ya!

getnasty said:
Ahhh, a bundle of information you are, good sir! Thank ya!

Sir be my farther call me friend or BackWoodsDrifter ;) sorry couldnt help more just put in what I can also alows me to take out too ;) hopin yur trail travels yu well pilgrem.

BWD

Latest posts

Back