Comment On This Site And Point To Ponder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GanjaGuru

Reaction score
First of all, I post at a lot of cultivation sites.
This is my favorite.
This site seems to have the best experienced grower to annoying numbnuts ratio of them all, which is why I chose to post the following here.

Marijuana is one of the oldest plants on earth. Since it relies on wind for pollination (vs. insects for most other plants) it might have existed before any terrestial insects evolved.
So here's what I was wondering:
When a marijuana plant is sexually mature (has enough stored energy for reproduction) in indicates this by growing alternating nodes.
Why?
Physical changes to indicate sexual maturity is common with all insect and animal life. With people of course sexual maturity is indicated in many ways, the most obvious being growing pubic hair and breasts on females.
But when marijuana evolved, likely there were nothing on land that had eyes.
Besides, sexual maturity does not indicate flowering, which may not occur for months.
I can't think of what evolutionary advatage alternating nodes gives marijuna.
Can you?

GanjaGuru said:
Can you?

I like this site too.
I also like where this thread is going.
Here is my shot at it.

On the main stem of plant I don't see any benefit of alternating nodes to the plant. Side branches I think it helps get light to all of the leaves "outdoor" by offsetting the leaf nodes on the branches. Sort of causing a weave of leaves protruding out of the sides to help obtain the bushiness Christmas tree look. Helping light reach the lower growth as well. Might not be evolutionary, but more of an adaptive characteristic. Hope I made sense. Just my half baked idea why.

GanjaGuru said:
Can you?

I'd be inclined to think that its to help maximize the surface area of the plant so that it can grow more leaves and collect more sunlight. Every form of life adapts to it's enviroment to survive and eventually thrive, so if mj has been around as long as you've said, then mj has definatly earned it's right in the cycle of life.

Latest posts

Back