Best way to trim your buds be for drying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hick said:
I trim probably 80% of the fan leaves while the plant is still standing. :p
It is "much" easier to trim fresh plants with the leaves still in tact, and standing up/out away from the buds, stems, stalk, than it is to trim crispy dry plants with the leaves pressed/dried against the buds...."IMO/ yrs of experience".
Besides, they make great compost! ;)

THEN.... the sugar leaves and wispy buds are trimmed and saved for the hash buckets..;)

Removing fan leaves??? :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Hahahaha, good spot Roddy.

Not much I can add to this thread except, allow yourself plenty of time when trimming and make yerself comfortable, my first time I ended up speed drying a bud for some pain relief for an aching back.

Cant stress how important good scissors are too, fine points to get into the buds and as Bud Uncle said, spring loaded are perfect. Not cheap but worth the investment IMO.

Oh, I always scrape the resin from the scissors before cleaning with alcohol, it all adds to the hash oil.
Happy harvesting fella. W

Jericho said:
to do this stage i leave them standing in the pots put them on a chair and turn the pot as i go around the plant

Great tip! thanks:hubba:

Fine point spring loaded scissors are very much worth the investment...and dont forget to scrape a bit of the sticky goo off those scissors and put it on top of your next bowl!

P.S. am i the only one that likes to make butter with the sugar leaves instead of hash?

Since I was taking pics for another post and cutting down a couple, I thought it would be a good idea to share this with you SB.
This is how I trim, a personal thing and others will do things differently, this is just how I like to work.
I take off a branch P1040235.JPG

trim it by removing the bigger fan leaves but leave most of the small bud leaves on, just a clip of the longer ones like this.
P1040236.JPG

I find by leaving the leaves on around the bud they curl round the bud protecting the crystals.
Then I hang them on a coat hanger
[/ATTACH]

Then they go into a cupboard (closet) for a week or so to dry.
Peace W

Attachments

• P1040234.JPG
    P1040234.JPG
    397.8 KB · Views: 137
  • P1040237.JPG
    P1040237.JPG
    486.7 KB · Views: 101
Woody, do you do a final trim to get some of that leaf material off?

It's all a matter of bud preference, bud...;)

I don't like my buds to look like they've been thru the dispensary ZIRP-O-MATIC :rolleyes: trimmer and look like goofy little naked :eek: budz... I don't mind at all if I 'leaf' :doh: a bit of the base of trimmed sugar leaf on the buds... they have more character to their look and personally I don't think it makes anything the least bit harsh... imho it rounds out the flavor of the smoke VERY nicely...:joint: but that's just me!

I like to cut up my plant so that there is enuf of a stem to hang onto to trim an individual cola or bud and after I trim it to my satisfaction I cut the freshly trimmed bud off of the stem and put it in a paper bag or cardboard box to dry. I do my drying in the top of my veg closet so the odor is filtered and pulled out by my ventilation... I put all my buds in a single layer in paper bags and it's a nice relatively slow drying method.

Peace~! :cool:

The Hemp Goddess said:

Yes!
Those girls are now haging to dry in a closet with a temp of around 23c with a small computer fan blowing on them
After a week, any leaf that hasnt curled around the bud will get trimmed off along with the stem/stalk.
It then goes into jars/plastic tubs for a couple of weeks to cure but I have never been patient enough to leave any longer than 3 weeks from harvest!

All my trim, branches, stem, stalk etc everything goes into making hash, ice or iso but not butane any more, I almost blew my head off last time when the top of the tube blew off due to the pressure caused by a blockage I hadnt spotted. Almost shat myself with the bang it made! (Sorry for the profanity but I thought it would add some humour)

I really should stop waffling as much! Yes would have been so much easier!
lmao

The Hemp Goddess said:

Yes!
Those girls are now haging to dry in a closet with a temp of around 23c with a small computer fan blowing on them
After a week, any leaf that hasnt curled around the bud will get trimmed off along with the stem/stalk.
It then goes into a paper bag for a week and finally jars/plastic tubs for a couple of weeks to cure but I have never been patient enough to leave any longer than 4 weeks from harvest!

All my trim, branches, stem, stalk etc everything goes into making hash, ice or iso but not butane any more, I almost blew my head off last time when the top of the tube blew off due to the pressure caused by a blockage I hadnt spotted. Almost shat myself with the bang it made! (Sorry for the profanity but I thought it would add some humour)

I really should stop waffling as much! Yes would have been so much easier!
lmao

I did this this morning. I use an old pair of hair cutting scissors. I love them for this job.
Here is a pic. This was a small plant and took about a half hour to do. Now that I mostly vape, i left a lot more sugar leaves then I used to when I smoked. Here you are:

DSCF0674.JPG

Rosebud said:
I did this this morning. I use an old pair of hair cutting scissors. I love them for this job.
Here is a pic. This was a small plant and took about a half hour to do. Now that I mostly vape, i left a lot more sugar leaves then I used to when I smoked. Here you are:

View attachment 162940

Thats Sweet!!!!:D

I could hear the "oooo-awww" around the globe when I saw that pic Rose.

Whats the main purpose of trimming, will it affect the plant health, Why we do trimming after the flowering stage.,....

thanks....

Gartner said:
Whats the main purpose of trimming, will it affect the plant health, Why we do trimming after the flowering stage.,....thanks....

Leaf material smokes harsh and tastes nasty--I trim every bit of leaf material I can from my buds (at harvest). I save all the small sugar leaves for hash.

Latest posts

Back