flushing before harvest?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So as to not get lost among one of Stoneys verbose posts, the point I'm trying to make is that YES, molasses can be beneficial to plants when applied in soil that possibly has an existing population of nematodes, if used in the proper dilution.

Over usage can cause many harmful effects including, but not restricted to mold growth, insect infestation and clogging of the root system.

If no nematodes are present, many other forms of natural, organic nutrient balance are available that will give more benefit to the plant.

Basically, IMO, molasses has no real benefit beyond that of reducing the amount of nematodal cysts present in the soil that cannot be arrived at with other organic methods that are safer to the plant.

"When someone says "I think it", then I don't mind. When someone says something is fact with no real proof, it bothers me."

I also stated that I have had smoke that was grown non organically, and not properly flushed, and it tasted like somebodies sock...nasty.

Peace...j.b.

jb247 said:
"When someone says "I think it", then I don't mind. When someone says something is fact with no real proof, it bothers me."

I also stated that I have had smoke that was grown non organically, and not properly flushed, and it tasted like somebodies sock...nasty.

Peace...j.b.

That's why double blind testing is necessary to determine if it's in your head or not.

In a double blind test, neither the person smoking OR the person giving them the weed would know which was which. The flushed weed or the non-flushed weed.

You already know what it is you're smoking. That blows the test right there. It means nothing, because you already know that you're smoking the flushed or non-flushed weed.

You'd have to grow two plants in an identical way. Exactly identical.

Then, have someone else flush one and not the other and mark one "A" and one "B".

Only that person would know which was the flushed.

Then, yet another person takes the weed and rolls a joint from each without knowing which is "A" or "B".

You then try each of them under exactly the same circumstances. One on one day, then the other on another day with the same exact timing and circumstances as the first day. Same time, same everything.

Do this and mark down which you think is which.

Do this until you've been given random samples of both where one day you're smoking the same weed both times and another day, you're smoking the other weed both times. Then days where you smoke each of them in different order.

That, my friend is what double blind testing is.

IF after all that, it turns out that you have actually chosen the flushed weed as superior in taste to the non-flushed weed, then I would believe the process.

Until you've done that, it's not a fair test because you already know what it is that you're smoking each time.

All testing that is scientifically accepted is done this way to eliminate the "Human" factor out of it.

If someone were to tell you for months that the flushing caused the smoke to be harsh, you'd be telling me it was harsh now. That's the human factor man. People *always* sense what it is they are told will happen. It's just human nature.

Set up a double blind test with two of your friends and try it.

Each time you smoke one, write down "Harsh" or "Mellow". Tell them to switch them around and to also give you only one type at least once and tell you it's both.

I'll guarantee you that you'll not get it right. You'll be saying that both types are harsh and mellow. That's why double blind testing is so valuable. It separates the baloney from the facts.

Or, if you choose not to do the testing, be at peace man. It really doesn't matter what you do.

Flush, don't flush. Wave a blue flag at them at 3:12pm each day while standing on your left foot. Do whatever makes you feel good man.

But until the flushing is tested via the double blind way with neutral observers, it's really not confirmed that flushing does anything but make people think what they already do.

Peace man. Enjoy your weed and just do what makes you feel good.

jb247 said:

Peace...j.b.

Probably just cured wrong.

jb247 said:

Peace...j.b.

Ok here are my FACTS!
you can find it all here...Read up. But i will post my main points here.
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19710

This is a nice debate we have here, im enjoying it. and thank you stoney for posting some good info. buuuut...

~The main benifits of Molasses are Nitrogen, Potassium, Trace elements, and Simple sugars

~ Since molasses is great source of potassium snd simple sugars for feeding the microlife, it is Great for the plant, and very good for your soil.

~ REMEMBER THIS :The better the soils structure...the more air that can get to it...the more aerobic activity youll have. ...more Areobic activity equals more Microlife. More microlife equals happier plants, and happier plants equal bigger better buds. Amen
( That microlife needs to be happy, before the plant is happy.)

~ Using molasses is good for all stages of growth. a dose will supply one week of simple sugars, 2 weeks of medium strength potassium and Nitrogen release.

So molasses isnt a Basic Need, but it is just an addiiton to making your soil happy, and it benifits the plants in numerous ways.

also, here is a spread sheet of the basic Mixes found in a Living Organic Soil. http://spreadsheets.google.com/ar?id=o04837377873472954342.8961477849920657353.06626317065159785985.5568242921235324859&hl=en&action=1&tile=0&rpert=100&tfe=&srow=0&erow=12&fprt=false&scol=0&ecol=6
The spreadsheet shows what the benifits are from each addition.

So my point is, that Molasses isnt a Must, but it is benificial.
I personally believe that Molasses does have a Positive effect on the taste of MJ. I have applyed Molasses to my LO many times, and i honestly find that the molasses buds taste better than when i dont use it. IMO

Stoney i realize that the plant can’t process Normal sugar.
because the grains are too large for the root to uptake it properly. You run a big risk of the sugar clogging the roots and reducing the nutrients to the plant. When the plant can’t take in enough nutrients the plant turns in on it’s self and uses up all the stored nutrients before it dies off.
But since Molasses is already a liquid, and you mix it with how water, which breaks down the sugar even more, and since molasses only supplys Simple Sugars, and not grains... Maybe it can uptake the Simple sugars. If it did, wouldnt it break it down, and produce glucose?? and wouldn that sweeten the buds??

Ekoostik_Hookah said:
Ok here are my FACTS!
you can find it all here...Read up. But i will post my main points here.
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19710

This is a nice debate we have here, im enjoying it. and thank you stoney for posting some good info. buuuut...

~The main benifits of Molasses are Nitrogen, Potassium, Trace elements, and Simple sugars

~ Since molasses is great source of potassium snd simple sugars for feeding the microlife, it is Great for the plant, and very good for your soil.

~ REMEMBER THIS :The better the soils structure...the more air that can get to it...the more aerobic activity youll have. ...more Areobic activity equals more Microlife. More microlife equals happier plants, and happier plants equal bigger better buds. Amen
( That microlife needs to be happy, before the plant is happy.)

~ Using molasses is good for all stages of growth. a dose will supply one week of simple sugars, 2 weeks of medium strength potassium and Nitrogen release.

So molasses isnt a Basic Need, but it is just an addiiton to making your soil happy, and it benifits the plants in numerous ways.

also, here is a spread sheet of the basic Mixes found in a Living Organic Soil. http://spreadsheets.google.com/ar?id=o04837377873472954342.8961477849920657353.06626317065159785985.5568242921235324859&hl=en&action=1&tile=0&rpert=100&tfe=&srow=0&erow=12&fprt=false&scol=0&ecol=6
The spreadsheet shows what the benifits are from each addition.

So my point is, that Molasses isnt a Must, but it is benificial.
I personally believe that Molasses does have a Positive effect on the taste of MJ. I have applyed Molasses to my LO many times, and i honestly find that the molasses buds taste better than when i dont use it. IMO

Stoney i realize that the plant can’t process Normal sugar.
because the grains are too large for the root to uptake it properly. You run a big risk of the sugar clogging the roots and reducing the nutrients to the plant. When the plant can’t take in enough nutrients the plant turns in on it’s self and uses up all the stored nutrients before it dies off.
But since Molasses is already a liquid, and you mix it with how water, which breaks down the sugar even more, and since molasses only supplys Simple Sugars, and not grains... Maybe it can uptake the Simple sugars. If it did, wouldnt it break it down, and produce glucose?? and wouldn that sweeten the buds??

No, I'm sorry man. Plants do not take up sugar. None. No way, no how. It's just not what plants do.

Did you read the part in my previous post about plant sugars? They are produced via photosynthesis in the green parts of the plant and transported or stored by the plant until use.

There is simply no way for the plant to use sugar via uptake from the roots.

Whoever is telling you that MJ takes up sugars is blowing smoke. It sure sounds good but just doesn't happen. As for the taste, if you give your plants ANY form of potassium and Nitrogen in the correct quantities, it's help the plant reach it's best performance.

Again, double blind testing would prove it one way or the other. Until then, it's what is known as "Anecdotal Evidence".

Great debate. I still will continue to utilize molasses. Studies differ.

Ekoostik_Hookah said:
soo then you agree with me then that molasses is benificial to MJ. Besides the sugar part.

If used in the proper amount and in soil only, yes it's good for decreasing a nemotodes present in the soil. As a nutrient, almost worthless. During it's breakdown, it helps a little, but no more than a hundred other types of additives, but benificial as an organic additive.

ya, but you could pay $50 for a bottle of Molasses "additives", or you could pay $2.

Ekoostik_Hookah said:
ya, but you could pay $50 for a bottle of Molasses "additives", or you could pay $2.

Something about adding a substance that is full of sugar to the soil in my inside grow bothers me. I live in Florida. The cockroaches, palmetto bugs, ants and about 1,000 other bugs would have a picnic in my grow room I think.

For those who can use it and find that it helps them, I'm happy for you.

I'll stick to my General Hydroponics "Flora Series" as the only nutrient I use. It works great for me.

Good luck to you. I hope you have great results.

Growdude said:
Flushing is a myth, all i know is my weed tastes smooth and tasty without flushing.

Taste is very strain and cure dependent.
I know for a fact that flushing plants will get rid of the harsh/taste. Ive seen friends flush all but one plant, just to seeeee..

headband said:
I know for a fact that flushing plants will get rid of the harsh/taste. Ive seen friends flush all but one plant, just to seeeee..

Dude, you have no idea how many times I've heard that. As I said earlier, I've switched pot around that has been flushed or not and every time I say one or the other is flushed, whoever is smoking it says "Wow, that's a lot cooler smoking" when they just smoked the weed that wasn't flushed.

Look up what a "Double Blind" test is. That type of testing PROVES it one way or the other.

He said, she said stuff isn't reliable. It's in your head, not in your taste buds.

headband said:

What harsh/taste are you trying to get rid of?
My plants taste sweet and smooth.

Stoney Bud said:
There is no scientific testing of any kind that suggests flushing does anything to the taste of MJ.

If anyone has found any, I'd sure love to read it. So far, all I've ever seen is "He said, She said" type of pro-flushing comments.

In a real double blind test, I don't think anyone would know the difference.

The same with the Molasses thing. Plants don't absorb sugar. Molasses only creates a balance in the root area that enables it to absorb nutrients more efficiently. None of the human related "sweetness" from the sugars is in any way absorbed by the plant.

Lots of stories like this are handed down from camp fire type talks. Like ghost stories, they are fun, but mostly just stories.

It won't hurt you, it just won't do anything either...........
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Are you speaking from experience? Because Ill tell you right now theres a little thing called carboload thatll make you eat your words. Its available from grotek, and YES our favourite plant definately does make use of sugars. And as for flushing, it is no myth. There are several products to aid in flushing as it is part of the growing process, though most people use straight water. Its recommended by growers in holland for goodness sake, if anyone knows they know!!!

gangalama said:
Stoney Bud said:
There is no scientific testing of any kind that suggests flushing does anything to the taste of MJ.

If anyone has found any, I'd sure love to read it. So far, all I've ever seen is "He said, She said" type of pro-flushing comments.

In a real double blind test, I don't think anyone would know the difference.

The same with the Molasses thing. Plants don't absorb sugar. Molasses only creates a balance in the root area that enables it to absorb nutrients more efficiently. None of the human related "sweetness" from the sugars is in any way absorbed by the plant.

Lots of stories like this are handed down from camp fire type talks. Like ghost stories, they are fun, but mostly just stories.

It won't hurt you, it just won't do anything either...........
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Are you speaking from experience? Because Ill tell you right now theres a little thing called carboload thatll make you eat your words. Its available from grotek, and YES our favourite plant definately does make use of sugars. And as for flushing, it is no myth. There are several products to aid in flushing as it is part of the growing process, though most people use straight water. Its recommended by growers in holland for goodness sake, if anyone knows they know!!!

Yes, I'm speaking from both a Botanical point of view and from more than 40 years of growing weed.

No, the plants do not make use of sugars in Molasses. No, flushing has not been proven to do a single thing by anyone in Holland or anywhere else.

And lastly, (sorry MarP), Holland doesn't have any increased knowledge of weed than any other place.

Marijuana Botany is a science. The science of it hasn't even had any real testing done on either Molasses or Flushing.

If you know of anything other than just another fireside story, let me know with a link to the testing.

You've not disproven a single word of what I said. You've mearly repeated the same unproven story line yet again.

Never ask a guy who sells Oranges if Oranges are the best thing in the world. Of course he'll agree. So will the guy who sells "Carboload". He's a saleman, not a botanist.

Latest posts

Back