How close is to close?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herm

Reaction score
I have a 1k watt HPS running a hortilux super blue bule (110k lums) that is in a vent hood. I have been slowly lowering my light to the canopy of my garden and today I tied everything down and moved the light 3 inches away. I know this sounds very close especially considering some of the posts I see here about them being 10+ inches away however I am able to put my hand on the glass of my light with no discomfort, in fact I can barely feel it. Will there be some sort of harm to the plant from having it this close other than heat?

If you can put your hand in there comfortably then you won't have any problems. Obviously the closer it is to one plant the less square footage it will cover so if you have a bunch of plants it probably needs raised so that they all get light.

I have it on a moving rail and the hood is an XXL so its 3 feet wide.

I have a 1k light on a light rail, the light needs to be 12" to 20" from the plants as long as the heat is evacuated from the light. Any lower than your grow will suffer. A light rail is designed to increase your light coverage & to give you a more even grow. But if it's too close to your plants your defeating the purpose of the light rail. I know your trying to prevent too much stretching, but the plants that are not directly under the light will stretch searching for the light. I would raise the light.

If you get it too close you will get what is called bleaching. Even though I cool my hoods very effectively, if I get too close this happens. My leaves can touch the glass and not even get a wrinkle but they will bleach out. You will see the light turn flourescent yellow or even almost white when this happens. I have had my 1000w about 6 inches from the canopy before this happens, but each bulb and reflector combination will be different.

Latest posts

Back