new start, bubble bucket/first grow,PICS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go with your gut sometimes, try things out. Ultimately it will be your own success that carries you, we can only advise.

I switched to hydro a week ago from soil. Ebb and flow is so freaking easy i wanna kill myself for not doing this sooner.

Now dont get me wrong, when i was in soil i was studying and preparing for what i needed to make hydro easy, and it paid off.

Yeah yeah, i havent got my first case of nute burn, or salt buildup or ph swing, but thats easy stuff to keep in check, drain the res and correct the problem, takes about 12 minutes start to finish for me to drain and fill the res with ph adjusted nutrient solution.

Mind you, i run RO water, pure water imvho is paramount to growing good bud.

here is a pic of my ebb&flow, i still need to put the carbon filter in, its sitting on my table, ventilation upgrade, needed a bigger filter, just gotta muster the motivation to put it up! lol

oh yeah, those little beauties are clones from my best skunk #1 phenotype, gonna sog'em and try and pull a couple lbs out of my 1000w light, we will see!

IMG_2302.jpg

cool man, thanks bonez. i like your set up.
i am burned out in soil grows.
this is all so exiting/intresting.
i sound like a kid in the candy store.

loolagigi said:
cool man, thanks bonez. i like your set up.
i am burned out in soil grows.
this is all so exiting/intresting.
i sound like a kid in the candy store.

be excited! there is nothing wrong with that!

use your knowledge and experience from soil growing and modify it for hydro, your gonna be just fine!

Maybe place that plug into a 3" or 4" rockwool cube then place it into the bottom of your net pot, then fill with hydroton. IDK just a thought;)

ok, i was going to do that. if i allready have a root comming throught the small cube, whats the easyist way to place in a 3" cube? maybe hollow out a square in the bigger one all the way through the 3", or leave some of the base of the 3" cube. and i am sorry if these q"s get old, but i am new to all this...hydroton/rockwool.....thanks for great response times. this site is great. and i just washed hydroton tonight with phed water and low tds, with peroxide, its drying now. tommorow i will take pics of seedlings.

They make them already with a hole in them. Just for the starter plug that you have used, works great:aok:

i have some, i forgot, thanks, ......i see package says...plant small into big block, no water for 2-4 days, but do not let block go dry. does that make sense? then it also says, ....when choosing a grow medium, like hydroton, dont water 2-4 days. does anyone practice this?

hydroton? more like 4 times in one light cycle! hydroton doesnt exactly hold moisture for very long. In fact, ive been monitoring dryout times. I dont want the hydroton to ever dry out, rather remain a little moist.

Not too much of the hydroton in DWC setups will get wet, its mostly there for easy root penetration and something to help hold the plants in, at least in mine they dont. Your going to be fine to put those right in aurrounded by the hydroton, maybe slope it up a little on the sides, your going to see new growth everyday and it won't take long at all before your able to fully cover the holes all the way. Just do the best you can, remember you wil be changing out the res anyways every ten days or so. Mine had a little showing for about a week and a half before I was able to cover it up and I had no problems.

well heres the new pics. its seems like the oldest sprout might have grown a little new leaf, but not much root. the single "tap" root has little "bumps", i guess new roots comming off the sides? i am afraid the root may be getting light. how do i stop this? also this is sprout # 2, and set up.

bucket 020.jpg

bucket 021.jpg

bucket 022.jpg

bucket 023.jpg

loolagigi said:
well heres the new pics. its seems like the oldest sprout might have grown a little new leaf, but not much root. the single "tap" root has little "bumps", i guess new roots comming off the sides? i am afraid the root may be getting light. how do i stop this? also this is sprout # 2, and set up.
Remember your roots will be growing out the bottom of your rockwool so I wouldn't be all that worried about them getting "light pruned". Ot might help if your tray wasn't reflective but I am uncertain as to this. I would think that you will be fine because the root system will be inaode to cube as well and as soon as you were to transplant the new root growth would explode. Mine actually grew like 6 inches in a week once I transplanted

Shockeclipse said:
Remember your roots will be growing out the bottom of your rockwool so I wouldn't be all that worried about them getting "light pruned". Ot might help if your tray wasn't reflective but I am uncertain as to this. I would think that you will be fine because the root system will be inaode to cube as well and as soon as you were to transplant the new root growth would explode. Mine actually grew like 6 inches in a week once I transplanted
can you send me a picture of a plant and its root system, ready to be transplanted in hydroton.

Sorry I didn't take any pics of my root system before I switched over to buckets. I know there are some pics floating around here somewhere try searching for them

well can you try to explain it. maybe a time frame from time seed sprouted, and if you have only grew clones, how many roots about were out of cubes?

do you think i should transfer my 1.5" cube with sprout in it, to the 3" cube? and whats with all the no wattering 2-4 days, on the cube packaging label?

loolagigi said:
well can you try to explain it. maybe a time frame from time seed sprouted, and if you have only grew clones, how many roots about were out of cubes?
I had issues with mine that I beleive prolonged mine from being able to transplant but I tell people anywhere from 2-4 weeks depending on whats going on, any issues that may occur. It took mine 3+ weeks. once you have several decent looking little roots popping out in more than one spot you should be fine. Remember inside the cube the roots are growing all over as well. When you have your rockwool sitting in the net pots, the pump is going to keep that rockwool saturated with oxygen rich water, so you will have crazy fast root growth. The first pic on page 1 of my GJ (the 2nd set of pics I think) I posted was of my root growth 11 days after I transplanted:holysheep: Click on the link in my sig to check it out.

loolagigi said:
do you think i should transfer my 1.5" cube with sprout in it, to the 3" cube? and whats with all the no wattering 2-4 days, on the cube packaging label?
I don't think you need to put it into another cube. You just need to be patient, as soon as you do transplant it, you will be seeing super fast growth.

loolagigi said:
is this a good time to transplant? seems like i could transplant a little sooner. http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...5&d=1237847825
Mine were not that crazy when I transplanted, so I would say you should be fine to do it sooner.

loolagigi said:
sorry i couldnt figure out to have a easier way to upload pic.
scroll down when you are in the reply window and under "Additional Options" there is a button that says Manage Attachments. Click that and upload your pics.

Hope any of this helps

She will be fine, you may want to top water for a few days till your roots reach the rez/bucket.

pcduck said:
She will be fine, you may want to top water for a few days till your roots reach the rez/bucket.
will do....SHOULD I BE FOLIER FEEDING? Thanks for the support. nerves are racked......tommorow i will add some plain water around 100 ppm, and 5.9 ph. trying tp make sure the 3", larger cube, gets some moisture. if all fails, i will top water. i will post pics tommorow, but probably have pics of roots for at least 3 days or more. this seedling is about 2 weeks old, placed in system, with love.:hubba:

Latest posts

Back