To flush or not to flush.......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I'm confused. I thought "flushing" was cleaning the salts & old nutes out of your system & off the roots. This is done throughout the plants life(growing cycle). "Clearing" is cleaning the plants from the inside out. Cleaning out nutes & chems from your plant to get a cleaner, smoother smoke. Have I been wrong all these years? This is how I was tought at Heavenstairway many years ago. I was known as DJ3 there. If I'm wrong let me know. I clear my plants every grow. I like the taste & I can tell the difference between clearing or not clearing.:D

Great read, one of the best thought out threads I have seen.

I'll jump out there and say that it is my beliefe that flushing at the end of a plants life is unnessasary in all cases if the grower feeds his/her plants correctly thru the entire grow.
I use GH 3 part. I use shreaded rockwool as a medium in 2 gal pots. My indepth experience is with hydro systems, I have no real experience with soil.
So, everything below is based on hydro.

IF a grower uses a proper plan, meaning that they control the ppm's of the nuit solution properly, then flushing is not needed. One way to check is to test the runoff. If the ppm's are the same as the soulution fed, then all is well. The plant is uptaking properly and not needing a higher/lower ppm for that stage in it's life.
If this is done throughout the plants life, then no excess salt.nuit build up will occur. Simply, if you choose to deny the plant nuits the last couple of weeks, you are indeed starving the plant at the most critical stage for flower development, imo.
As far as taste,smell or "crackeling", I have not seen a difference at all. I have had my herb tested by dispensaries, and never have I heard of any "odd" comments about the herb at all. Between friends, noone can tell a difference at all.

Now, thats a perfect case with a good grow.

What I see ALOT, is OVERFERT on grows. This will cause nuit issues and excessive salt build up. A flush is needed in this case, sometimes far before the end of the cycle. This is and probably allways will be the number one issue facing growers. It seems the general mentality is to feed it more to get more, which couldn't be farther from the truth.

So, all in all, I do beleive that flushing has it's place for sure, but as a "needed" step at the end of the grow is not allways so.

NorCalHal said:
What I see ALOT, is OVERFERT on grows. This will cause nuit issues and excessive salt build up. A flush is needed in this case, sometimes far before the end of the cycle. This is and probably allways will be the number one issue facing growers. It seems the general mentality is to feed it more to get more, which couldn't be farther from the truth.

So, all in all, I do beleive that flushing has it's place for sure, but as a "needed" step at the end of the grow is not allways so.
:yeahthat:

Seems to be the #1 problem for sure.

DD

NorCalHal said:
Great read, one of the best thought out threads I have seen.

I'll jump out there and say that it is my beliefe that flushing at the end of a plants life is unnessasary in all cases if the grower feeds his/her plants correctly thru the entire grow.
I use GH 3 part. I use shreaded rockwool as a medium in 2 gal pots. My indepth experience is with hydro systems, I have no real experience with soil.
So, everything below is based on hydro.

IF a grower uses a proper plan, meaning that they control the ppm's of the nuit solution properly, then flushing is not needed. One way to check is to test the runoff. If the ppm's are the same as the soulution fed, then all is well. The plant is uptaking properly and not needing a higher/lower ppm for that stage in it's life.
If this is done throughout the plants life, then no excess salt.nuit build up will occur. Simply, if you choose to deny the plant nuits the last couple of weeks, you are indeed starving the plant at the most critical stage for flower development, imo.
As far as taste,smell or "crackeling", I have not seen a difference at all. I have had my herb tested by dispensaries, and never have I heard of any "odd" comments about the herb at all. Between friends, noone can tell a difference at all.

Now, thats a perfect case with a good grow.

Thanks fot the input NorCal - always solid,

I agree about proper feeding to insure reduced salt build up with in the tissue and/or medium. I mention Dr Reems and Brix often. His belief was similar. He noticed increased growth rates, higher Brix numbers and more productivity when properly applying the minimum amount of nutrients.

I've been working to develop a soil mix surrounding this theory. I think it's an under estimated value in regards to growth. Many of us are obsessed with feeding a tremendous amount of nutes, when in reality - proper applications are the real priority.

Thanks for checking things out...Jman

Latest posts

Back