LONG term storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zem

Reaction score
so i plan on storing my weed for years, yes years, i smoke light like 2 grams per week and have 250 grams. so i have been reading a bit, there seems to be different opinions about freezing. what do you guys know about long term storage?
one person suggested that the best way is to pre-roll it all in joints and it sounds very appealing to do it since it will be much more compact, he says it's the best way to store in the cold since the trichs will be contained in that joint.
i'm thinking of something else, maybe grind it all up without rolling and store it in a fridge or freezer? if i can grind them and keep the quality it will be awesome, they will require very little space maybe only a couple of jars instead of 8 but then again, one person suggested that the best is to keep the buds with the stem saying that they will deteriorate slower...

or should i just go with vacuming the jars and placing them in fridge or freezer?

what do you know about this? :) thanks

Vaccuum the jars if you are set up for that. I have an attachment for my food sealer that works on canning jars. The best for long term, IMO.

and what about grinding it before vacum and storage? it will be great to have it compact

only problem i can see with grinding is all the sugar goodness will end up at the bottom of the jar, you will find the weeds gets stronger the lower the jar get jmo
peace fruity

I have always stored mine in sealed mason jars, in a cardboard box, in a dark coset, in my cool cellar. I don't grind it, roll it, pull it off the stems, or give it a foot massage.....The more you mess with it, the more you mess with it.
Dry it corectly, cure it well, and it will be just fine. I am currently smoking weed I put up 3 years ago. Thats the longest I've ever had any around so I can't tell you from experience how long it will last, I'd assume it has a shelf life, but I have'nt hit it yet.

hey cubby that's great news! finally someone who tried years old weed and reporting no degradation. i am considering buying a mini beer fridge just for this purpose. they're cheap like 50$. i still haven't messed a lot with the weed, only thing i would do was spread them on a tray for few hours then re-jar them. now i only burp them every 2 weeks or so. they've been harvested since 2 months now. i guess i don't have to keep burping anymore but i still do just in case. i think i will grid some and put them in a little jar just to try it out. if it's successful, i can pack a large quantity in much smaller volumes, that's my concern now

I have used a little electric coffee grinder to grind up bud before when I was going on a road trip. I ended up grinding it up too fine and the stuff was like powder. It was horrible you had to roll the joint so tight so it wouldn't all fall out of the paper that it wouldn't smoke. I ended up having to use my bowl to smoke the whole ounce while I was gone. Not an easy task while on a road trip, but I had no choice.I wouldn't grind it all up if you are going to store it for a long period. Vac seal it and store it in a dark place like a safe.JMO

Food saver for the long term. I know for 3 years was still fresh and I bet it would go longer. But, it got smoked, LOL

If you haven't trimmed yet, leave the large fan leaves on. They will act as protection for the tricomes on the buds and sugar leaves. I trim them as I use the buds.

Wet

Wetdog said:
If you haven't trimmed yet, leave the large fan leaves on. They will act as protection for the tricomes on the buds and sugar leaves. I trim them as I use the buds.

Wet
them there is fightin' words! :argue:
:p

I got thinking, if I was that determined to store weed in as compact a space as possible, I would look into some kind of compactor rather than grinding so much up. Something that would compact smaller rather than large amounts at once. OH! How about regular vaccuum sealers. They use food grade plastic for thier bags and you can make the bags any size you want.

niteshft said:
I got thinking, if I was that determined to store weed in as compact a space as possible, I would look into some kind of compactor rather than grinding so much up. Something that would compact smaller rather than large amounts at once. OH! How about regular vaccuum sealers. They use food grade plastic for thier bags and you can make the bags any size you want.
hmmm... i like the idea of compacting small amounts just don't like the idea of plastic storage for years, glass would be better. i can press them in jars to compact them but then i would be messing the buds up, so i might as well grind them if i want to do that. i got 7 full jars now, really full as compact as i could fit them inside it without crushing so it's quite a stash. i think i will go with the beer fridge idea.

THC degrades in storage. It degrades faster in freezer...(?)

Only know way to store with having a minimal drop in quality is vacuum sealing using an inert gas such as nitrogen.

OGKushman said:
THC degrades in storage. It degrades faster in freezer...(?)

Only know way to store with having a minimal drop in quality is vacuum sealing using an inert gas such as nitrogen.
it degrades "faster" in freezer?? 1st time i hear that, i know freezer can cause trichs to break if it was still moist, but what about a refrigerator at 3-6C? i found a nice gadget :D hXXp://www.pump-n-seal.com/pumpnseal.htm makes the vaccuming easy doesn't involve nitrogen though...

zem said:
it degrades "faster" in freezer?? 1st time i hear that, i know freezer can cause trichs to break if it was still moist, but what about a refrigerator at 3-6C? i found a nice gadget :D hXXp://www.pump-n-seal.com/pumpnseal.htm makes the vaccuming easy doesn't involve nitrogen though...

I am kind of ashamed to admit this, and would never admit it if I hadn't had a few drinks tonight, but I once had an ounce (this was a number of years ago), that I put into the egg compartment in my refrigerator (the little part that folds down over the eggs so you dont see into it when you open the fridge). The long and short of the story is that I forgot about it (yea I know, I'm a pot head). I found it almost 18 months later (which sadly reveals about how often I clean my refrigerator and that I never buy eggs or eat breakfast) and it still smoked great! I would not put it into the freezer though, I heard freezing is bad for bud but I never checked out that information.

-SSF-

it degrades instantly .9%THC and .4 more over 30 days
18.22% control
from 18.2 to 17.6 storage for a month in dark cool place.
from 18.2 to 17.3 storage for 8 hrs in freezer
from 18.2 to 16.9 storage for 30 days in freezer

more testing done every day. for complete results buy the book in jan2012!

my partner is gonna be mad at me for posting this

so you're saying that my weed that's been harvested 2 1/2months ago stored in mason jars has degraded already? i thought the best weed is the weed that was cured for more than 1 month. anyway that's a very interesting experiment, your partner should have some stored in a fridge, and some vaccum sealed too.

Lol Og i cant wait for this book to come out.

Zem, best weed to smoke is weed that has been cured for a month as it is smoother to smoke, not because of the effect of the weed.

Killuminati420 said:
them there is fightin' words! :argue:
:p

Why is that?

Close trimming does make for pretty buds, but does leave a lot of resin glands exposed to get knocked off, squished and otherwise damaged.

A friend of my son is a purveyor of extremely high quality goods. He is also ADD or OCD or something and is constantly removing buds from his ziplock, inspecting them, putting them back and then repeating the whole process 15min later. Like right after he gets all the sticky off of his fingers. Try telling him that the sticky is resin glands he is knocking off with his fingers just results in a blank stare. LOL, he's got waaay more $$$ than good sense.

Wet

You will need glass mason (or fruit canning) jars with sealable tops. Place the DRY buds inside and seal. Store the jars in a cool dark place, the fridge if you need to. Keep an eye on your bud for mold. If the bud was completely dry going in, you should be fine. Its been reported that the bud will actually "cure" better using this method, producing some sweet smellin buds!
And can be stored for a longer time.

OGKushman said:
it degrades instantly .9%THC and .4 more over 30 days
18.22% control
from 18.2 to 17.6 storage for a month in dark cool place.
from 18.2 to 17.3 storage for 8 hrs in freezer
from 18.2 to 16.9 storage for 30 days in freezer

more testing done every day. for complete results buy the book in jan2012!

my partner is gonna be mad at me for posting this

I dout it will get published..:rofl: all speculation IMO..

I have Budds in my freezer now for 4 months..and the Hash I make from it will be BOMB!!!!:lama:...I dont think Im gonna see any diffrance...:spit:

Latest posts

Back