LONG term storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4u2sm0ke said:
I dout it will get published..:rofl: all speculation IMO..

I have Budds in my freezer now for 4 months..and the Hash I make from it will be BOMB!!!!:lama:...I dont think Im gonna see any diffrance...:spit:

For hash making that was fine, that wasn't the issue. For smoking, alot of trichs will get knocked off and settle on the bottom of the bag/jar, along with all the frosty ice that built up from the sweat of the buds.

I have some 3 year old weed in the fridge and freezer as well as outside. IME temperature fluctuation causes the most oxidation on the buds and the buds that are out get darker and weaker faster. The fridge and freezer are working good. The buds look as good as new. I only stored crisp dry weed in freezer to prevent damage and humidify it once it comes out and before I use it.

Trimmed buds on the stem that have been dried and cured, then into a sealed jar with 62% bovida packs, in a cardboard box set in the corner. I open the jars once in a while and take a wiff. :D That's what I learned here a few years ago. Works for me. :) mmm mmm good.

I have a few grams in canning jars, and also quite a few fresh dried buds in Folgers coffee container that was emptied. How well does storing in empty coffee cans/jugs work? I work at our winery in the lab and have access to all kinds of Nitrogen in a 300# nitrogen tank near my titration set-up. I made beer a few years ago and learned that hops have a shelf life as well for flavor, but the bittering in there still is useful. I store some in the refrigerator and some in the freezer. They say they definitely have a shelf life and I would think it would be the same with buds.

I have read that nitrogen and/ or vacuum sealing kept in cook dark location (safe, dark cellar, etc) are best choices for long term.

Been outdoor growing for decades, I’ve found that dried buds stored in sealed jars stored in a cool dark place degrade after about 12-18 months. Weed becomes darker, flavor fades, and worst of all, buds becomes harsh and unpleasant to smoke. Perhaps suitable for tinctures or other meds but NOT for quality smoking. To maintain potency, flavor and mildness, freezing is the only way I store weed now. Buds are dried in a warm dark attic. I dry buds to a 90%dry stage leaving a small amount of moisture to prevent buds from excessive crumbling. The buds are then carefully packed in double layer ziplock bags with excess air carefully squeezed out of the bags before sealing . Double bagging is necessary to prevent freezer burn. 2 year old buds stored in this manner still have a wonderful aroma, potency is good and flavor is great. Freezer is kept at 0 degrees Fahrenheit.

Yep, that's the ticket. I even go as far as to triple bag weed. Hash just gets wrapped in 1 or 2 gram chunks in tinfoil that is then stuck in Ziplocs. I've got stuff that's at least 6 years old that still have a great flavor and slaps me silly.

Reactions: zem
Vacuum seal and into the freezer.
I have stored weed in double bags Vac sealed after large stems have been removed (stems poke holes)
Then into deep freeze, had weed at the bottom over 5 yrs old still smoke fine, sometimes the burn smell, smelled even better
Lets call it the room appeal LOL

if you are a grower why would you save weed for 3 years.. just grow some fresh shit.. cant imagine smoking weed that old..

Why not. Don't wanna grow the same strain again but great to have some later down the road. I know lots of peeps who like having several different strains put away for later use. A lot of us cant grow several strains at one time.
So putting it away is Kinda like having a wine cellar,,except its Weed.😁
And the shit i vacuum seal and put into the freezer taste pretty damn good. Dont taste old but To each his own.

Last edited:
if you are a grower why would you save weed for 3 years.. just grow some fresh shit.. cant imagine smoking weed that old..
Sometimes you grow too much LOL
I have tried to give it away and could not at times, hard to believe
I am guilty of the put it down and make oil later and just never finding time to do the reductions.

It is a plant and sometimes you have a crop failure for whatever reason. I had powdery mildew and lost a crop. I glad to have my previous years overgrow, and many friends who helped through. Good storage is prudent.

I always keep my eyes open for a tin can canning machine always fun to have on hand.(closed cans ) need warrants to open the cans
If John Law finds them Good place to hide gold and jewels too

THC degrades in storage. It degrades faster in freezer...(?)

Only know way to store with having a minimal drop in quality is vacuum sealing using an inert gas such as nitrogen.
So do you vacuum the jar before you pressurize nitrogen. I'm an old HVAC guy. I think Mason jars like vacuum, not sure about pressure.

Tell my weed that bullshit. I never notice any degradation from freezing my weed.

Last edited:
and what about grinding it before vacum and storage? it will be great to have it compact

I would not grind it. Keep the buds intact.
Vacuum pack is not required but if you can go for it. Put bags in another container (cardboard box, anything) and freeze it. It will last for years!!

Happy Packing

previous poster said:

THC degrades in storage. It degrades faster in freezer...(?)

Bad info regarding freezer.

Freezer is best way to store long term.

Heat, air, light (especially UV light) degrades da buds...

Dawn is coming over the eastern horizon - time for W&B!!!!:)

later

The main thing is,,if you freeze your weed make sure you are gentle with it when taking it out of the freezer and let it thaw first before handling where you don't disturb the Trichromes and cause them to fall off. Once its thawed you are good to go and its as fresh as it will ever be considering your other options of storage.

So I have to empty the freezer for an hour or 2 and now this got me worried about how much damage this will cause. For one time the temperature will fluctuate to well above freezing then go back down to below freezing. Do you think I should worry much about that? My other option is to freeze some bottles and move them to a cooler with frozen bottles inside but I am not sure if that's worth all the effort and i guess it would require a lot of ice to achieve freezing environment inside the cooler. Any advise appreciated, thanks.

Latest posts

Back