Mold during curing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIDOW LOVER

Reaction score
Does anyone have good pics of mold during drying and curing? I am going 'by the numbers' and they are at 69% HM in jars. Burping for an hour 3 times a day... I noticed some white on a few buds but I don't know if it is mold or not... Any help is greatly appreciated!
I attached 6 pics with different camera settings to help...

1711.jpg

1712.jpg

1713.jpg

1714.jpg

1715.jpg

1716.jpg

i guess my peepers r bad ur sumtin but I don't see any gray mold/powdery mildew. How does the bud smell? Is a dry greyish powder coming off when you agitate the buds?

With my glasses on and a 5x mag glass... it looks like VERY fine white hairs. The smell is a little green due to premature harvest, but smell is improving with curing. No nasty smell, no powder from agitation... the hairs are flexible when scraped and do not fall off of the bud or stems.

u sure you're not mistaking the capitate stalked trichomes for mold?

EDIT: can you get a micro shot? Just wonderin'.

It could be the trichomes without the heads. But they just started appearing today on about 20% of the flowers. They seem to be mostly on the thin stems and not as much on the leaves or pistils. In the Cervantes bible, there is a microscopic picture of 'cystolith' hairs that may be what I am seeing???
The reason for my concern is that this white appearance was not there last night...

if they are cystolithic hairs, they are mostly calcium carbonate and are normal for cannabis. When in doubt, remove the bud from the curing jars and dry them more w/ a fan on them. That's odd that they just appeared tho if they ARE INDEED cystolithic hairs.

I have them back on drying screens for awhile... trying to get better close up pics with my camera... the hairs all tend to grow 'upward' on the plant which leads me to think they are a normal part of the plant. I assume if they were mold, they would grow in any direction...
Thanks for the advise 7greeneyes!

And moldy bud will have a greyish/white/or brown spiderwebbing over the bud, whereas trichomata(thc "crystals" as it were) are very close to the bud and attached by the trichome root.

I am getting better with my camera... tell me what you think of these...

1723.jpg

1724.jpg

1725.jpg

1726.jpg

What strain is that? That's the wispiest bud I've ever seen unless it a pure Sativa. That could easily be a layering of trichs, like I said, there's usually a spiderwebbing effect when mold grows. And it (mold) grows in clumps or effected areas not like that unless the stems are still damp.

This is my White Widow. I hastily harvested her premature because she had a couple of male flowers that popped and she and 3 others were pollenated. I harvested them to prevent my other 4 from getting pregnant also! LOL! I know made a mistake and should have just carefully inspected for any more male 'sacks', but these 4 pollenated plants were so far behind the others that I decided to harvest early. I'll try to post pics from the others in a bit...

that could easily be the infamous "white" of white widow you're seeing. Matter of fact I'm pretty sure I've seen that on premature buds I've dried...lol. Sux bout the balls that dropped tho...
If u got a black light, that'll be your biggest tool into figgering it out. Mold spores will appear a distinctive green hue when put under a black light, according to the article below and other sources (me...lol).

p.s. here's a good read to give u a lil more 411 on the subject. url: hxxp://sparkreport.net/2009/08/what-you-should-know-about-mold-issues-on-marijuana

My other 4= first 4 pics White Widow and last pic= AK47... yellow color is from HPS lights.

1727.jpg

1728.jpg

1729.jpg

1730.jpg

1731.jpg

:hubba: righteous cola/bud shots, Widow Lover. :cool2:

That aint no mold. What color were the trichs?

I could certainly be wrong, but it looks like mold to me--mold can certainly be white. White hairy stuff growing off the bud like in the pic is not normal, even with white strains. We are also talking about plants taken way early. I cannot imagine it being trichs--doesn't look like trichs or anything good. It looks nasty to me and I am not sure whether I would be for smoking it or not.....

LOOKS quick dried but the stems were still too moist. Like i said b4, if the stems were wet, then mold growth would follow the moisture. Won't be sure unless u check for green phosphorescence under a black light. Aspergillus is nasty, even for ppl with healthy immune systems.

I can see it now.
Keep it away from everything.
Mold is everywhere, but only expresses itself in proper conditions.
You seem to have provided ideal conditions in this case.
Next time hang stems until they snap when bent.
This I have read and done. Seems to work.

Latest posts

Back