question when harvesting by trichs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manyBudZ4$

Reaction score
Im coming up on the end of week 7 orange bud. Im looking at the trichs through a 60x -100x zoom. To me it appears as though i see clear, cloudy and amber. Is this normal? or am I possibly seeing it wrong cause i find that its the really small ones that look amber.

Make sure you are looking at them out of the grow room. Take a leaf out and put it on a flat surface and look at it. I am not familiar with orange bud.

It is normal to see all three at one time, yes.
Enjoy!

you will see all three colors as the buds mature when you get to the 40+% amber it is time to harvest IMO

Also make sure the batteries in your loop are good. Made that mistake last year. Looked like tons of amber, but my batteries were about dead and the light made it look amber. Once I put new batteries I still had alot more time to go.

thanks also when looking at it what color background surface is best? white or black??

I personally prefer just using a white sheet of paper and laying a small sugar leaf on top but its up to you how you want to do it. And i agree your orange bud probably needs another weed or two. but try harvesting a little bud at different points of trichome maturity and see how you like it, everyone's taste is different. I harvest closer to 33% or 1/3 amber and sum prefer as high as 50%.

yes i like to take sample nuggs also, you have to plan ahead though, each sample nugget will take about 3 days to dry, so take a nugg now, another in 3-4 days and then again 3-4 days after that, JMO.

Thanks for the information. Nice description.

Most plants will change colors as the plant finishes. When you grow the same strains for a while, it becomes more obvious.

Example-- My TW bottom leaves in week eight will turn purple and this continues up the plant for the next two weeks at which point all the leaves are purple and, the tips of the buds along with scattered calyxes all over the buds, turn purple. The buds at week ten also have a more amber look in general, which is usually 40% - 50%.

I think if your looking for amber crystals through a microscope, there is no way it's done. You shouldn't have to look for them through a microscope....
just my opinion.

I think if your looking for amber crystals through a microscope, there is no way it's done. You shouldn't have to look for them through a microscope...

The best way to know when to harvest is by looking at the trics. There are just to many variables that could change the color of the leaves and pistals. From cold temps to deficiencies to just rubbing against pistals with your clothes by accident.

looking for amber trichs through a microscope/loupe is exactly how its done.

pistols change colours at different times on different strains, if i went by pistols i could have been 3 weeks to early in the past.

pcduck said:
The best way to know when to harvest is by looking at the trics. There are just to many variables that could change the color of the leaves and pistals. From cold temps to deficiencies to just rubbing against pistals with your clothes by accident.

That's not what I'm saying. If 40% of the tric's are amber, you don't need a microscope to see that and if you grow your plants for a few generations, you know what to look for when the plant is ripe. It's common sense thing.

MG Canna said:
That's not what I'm saying. If 40% of the tric's are amber, you don't need a microscope to see that and if you grow your plants for a few generations, you know what to look for when the plant is ripe. It's common sense thing.

I will continue by checking the trics with a scope. As I previously mentioned there are just to many variables to go by the naked eye.

Common sense says that if I plant/flip on a certain date they should be done on a certain date every time,even with the same stain/clone. I have found this not to be true, because of some of the variables previously mentioned. For a small investment($12) I can be sure every time when to harvest. Now if some growers want to take the chance that is fine with me, I would just rather be 100% sure when I harvest

pcduck said:
I will continue by checking the trics with a scope. As I previously mentioned there are just to many variables to go by the naked eye.

Common sense says that if I plant/flip on a certain date they should be done on a certain date every time,even with the same stain/clone. I have found this not to be true, because of some of the variables previously mentioned. For a small investment($12) I can be sure every time when to harvest. Now if some growers want to take the chance that is fine with me, I would just rather be 100% sure when I harvest

I agree to disagree. I have no issues and never had with my buds being the highest quality. If someone thinks they need a microscope to give them the best buds, so be it for them. But don't think because you need to use something, everyone else does too.

I feel like it's so hard for anyone to accept some one's different techniques. What is up with this wide spread problem???:rolleyes:

I have no problem learning and using anyone else's techniques, when they are viable. But when it is pure speculation I sort of balk at them

If a strain is new to me then I scope, If I've run it before, typically I can tell when it to harvest. Please note: I said I do initially use a scope...:rolleyes::rofl:

pcduck said:
I have no problem learning and using anyone else's techniques, when they are viable. But when it is pure speculation I sort of balk at them

I hate baseball.....dumbest game ever.

But a person who cant pick his buds without a scope.....LMFAO!!

One would have to understand the technique before being able to use it. That always helps.:)

Latest posts

Back