Growing Marijuana Forum

Bud of the Month: bombbudpuffa's Peyote Purple x Deep Chunk
Go Back   Marijuana Growing Forum > Marijuana Cultivation > Growroom Setup and Design
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2015, 01:30 PM   #61
gottaloveplasma

gottaloveplasma gottaloveplasma gottaloveplasma gottaloveplasma gottaloveplasma gottaloveplasma gottaloveplasma gottaloveplasma gottaloveplasma gottaloveplasma gottaloveplasma

So I have never seen anyone want stretch. What would be the reason for that? Also does trich production and terpine production go hand in hand? Terpines are like the seat for the trich correct?
gottaloveplasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #62
yarddog

yarddog yarddog yarddog yarddog yarddog yarddog yarddog yarddog yarddog yarddog yarddog

From what I gather, led doesn't have as much penetration. Hence wanting the stretch
yarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:36 PM   #63
Grower13

Grower13 Grower13 Grower13 Grower13 Grower13 Grower13 Grower13 Grower13 Grower13 Grower13 Grower13

Throw some other light in there with the LED for the first couple of weeks THG.............. maybe a small HPS or a T5 strip light.
Grower13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:08 PM   #64
Rosebud
Organic dirt farmer

Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud

Oh man, sorry that happened to you and your plant. There is such a learning curve and I don't have it down yet. Staking plants is something you and i really didn't ever do.. Now with LED we have to.
I know exactly what you mean about how far away they are from the tops.. weird but right.
Pink and green and red mojo my sister in pot.

Current grow: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...ad.php?t=75112

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind, always.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:10 PM   #65
Dr. Green Fang
You don't see me . . .

Dr. Green Fang Dr. Green Fang Dr. Green Fang Dr. Green Fang Dr. Green Fang Dr. Green Fang Dr. Green Fang Dr. Green Fang Dr. Green Fang Dr. Green Fang Dr. Green Fang

Quote:
Staking plants is something you and i really didn't ever do.. Now with LED we have to.
This is something I've had to adjust to myself! I've always just tied up ones that fell over, but the penetration is straight down and not entirely there. Hence, if you get stretch, the lower nodes will produce more and over all get light to the lower portion of the plant. The point it to AVOID popcorn buds at all cost! Major training will ensue and it takes LOADS of getting used to.
Dr. Green Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:17 PM   #66
The Hemp Goddess
Granny Mod

The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess

I harvested the girl that got broken. She did not produce much, about 2 oz, but the buds are hard and firm with no real popcorn buds. I have figured that my sativas will do just fine under LEDs as I can get them to stretch and that is what I grow most of. I will work on figuring out how to get the indicas to stretch or I will use my HPS on them. I will probably fire up the HPS this winter anyway. I am keeping the T5s a bit further away than normal so we will see how that works. But mostly have sat dominant plants in veg now.

Rosebud, you are right about never staking our plants. I spent decades learning how to grow my plants with short intermodal spacing....and now I have to relearn and rethink everything.

Grower, I have T5s and a 400W HPS. This is worth a try.

Or I may set up a small tent like DGF did. It may be way better to run those short squat indicas in a scrog setup. That would make an LED grow in a tent that is only 62" tall possible. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be in Oregon by this winter.

I put 2 more plants into the room and will be adding another couple in the next few days. I am not at home now, but will snap a couple more pics. The BSC that is in there now is a natural stretcher and she should do well.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate the help!
The Hemp Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:37 PM   #67
Dr. Green Fang
You don't see me . . .

Dr. Green Fang Dr. Green Fang Dr. Green Fang Dr. Green Fang Dr. Green Fang Dr. Green Fang Dr. Green Fang Dr. Green Fang Dr. Green Fang Dr. Green Fang Dr. Green Fang

Quote:
I am keeping the T5s a bit further away than normal so we will see how that works.
It works wonders! We're doing the opposite of pushing the T5's down on them, now THG

Quote:
The BSC that is in there now is a natural stretcher and she should do wel
BSC .. wonderful genetics, especially for LED
Old 08-27-2015, 09:03 PM   #68
my my

my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my

As bad a option as it may sound...
even with my HPS, i harvested portions at a time when i grew big and bushy girls (most the time)
I harvest about the top foot to foot and half, let the bottom run another couple weeks..
that Might work for you, maybe not...
I'll be enjoying your learning curve.. Im sure i will get some good pointers!-)
Old 08-28-2015, 12:57 AM   #69
WeedHopper

WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper

I will always watch your grows Mam. You are my hero when it comes to growing. Much love from Weedhopper.
WeedHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:23 AM   #70
gottaloveplasma

gottaloveplasma gottaloveplasma gottaloveplasma gottaloveplasma gottaloveplasma gottaloveplasma gottaloveplasma gottaloveplasma gottaloveplasma gottaloveplasma gottaloveplasma

Why would someone want stretch. I don't understand.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #71
Dr. Green Fang
You don't see me . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaloveplasma View Post
Why would someone want stretch. I don't understand.
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...5&postcount=71
Old 08-28-2015, 05:56 PM   #72
gottaloveplasma

Sorry green thumb I'm not exactly following... Is it the side branches need to stretch away from main branch more so the budsites have better lighting?
Old 08-28-2015, 06:48 PM   #73
Dr. Green Fang
You don't see me . . .

All branches and all nodal distance needs to stretch so that there can be penetration to them. If nodes are short and very close, they get shaded more. Also, more defoliation is needed with LED's. I trim LOADS of fan leaves during the veg process, and first 2 weeks of flower. The amount I trim now would scare the crap out of the "old me" hahha!
Old 08-28-2015, 07:06 PM   #74
gottaloveplasma

Do you like quality of led more than hps?
Old 08-28-2015, 07:23 PM   #75
Dr. Green Fang
You don't see me . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaloveplasma View Post
Do you like quality of led more than hps?
Night and day. HPS can seemingly bring out a slightly higher yield but you have to sacrifice so much for that to happen; Wasted energy, Super hot bulb (500-600 degrees.. fire hazard), double in electric.. the list goes on and on.

But, the reason I say night and day is because the first thing one noticed when switching from HPS and going LED is... Trichs!! There's 200% more resination on everything, hands down. This is proven, not just a "oh hey, I think so.." Also, lab tested and proven is that LED's bring out terrapins that don't even exist under HPS light (have video link somewhere documenting it). In the video I watched, they tested a NY Diesel and found a terrapin that didn't even show up on the HPS results, in the LED results, called "limonene"

Personal results show 1/2 reduction in electric.. close to the same in room temp, but don't have the crazy hot bulbs with potential for fire. LED spectrum also "feeds" the plant, so I've cut my nute intake by about 30%. I used to run 1400-1600 (or more) ppm's in flower with HPS, and now I barely touch 1200.

My journal, "The Dr's Office", chronicles all my journeys so far with LED's Check it out if you're bored
Old 08-28-2015, 09:11 PM   #76
The Hemp Goddess
Granny Mod

The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess

It is too early for me to tell. I can sure tell you that I did not get 200% more trichs. I am running 30% less electricity, but the heat seems about the same. I will probably try to run both LED and HPS this winter as the heat is an asset in the winter. I do need to hone in my "LED skills" though to really see what they will do.
The Hemp Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:39 PM   #77
Dr. Green Fang
You don't see me . . .

I think I'm also running some of my 600's this winter, instead of my two 1500w heaters! May as well use that wattage to produce SOMETHING!!!! hahahahah I'm going to go bulk wild this winter, cause.. Eff it.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:39 PM   #78
Dr. Green Fang
You don't see me . . .

Also, my trich production has been through the roof... very noticeable. Sorry this isn't the case for you

Dang.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:40 AM   #79
WeedHopper

WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper

Maybe its the strain.
WeedHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:47 AM   #80
Dr. Green Fang
You don't see me . . .

Strains

I've noticed the increase on all strains. All roughly 10 strains that I've run since getting LED's. I had mom's for a long time and flowered out clones from it with HPS and as soon as I got the LED, these strains that I knew very well became all too foreign! They reacted different to LED for sure! First thing I noticed about 3-4 weeks into flower was the intense trich production on large fan leaves and stems, in the likes which I never had with my four 600w HPS fixtures.

So I would agree and say "maybe it's the strain" but.... many strains ran over here and increase shown on all of them.