what is wrong with this setup?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep them in those pots until they get chopped. Hard on the roots I guees but I just lower them into trays or buckets as they grow.
They never get transplanted.

What I mean is that I start them in the rapid rooters and do not put them into the net cups and the hydro unit until the rapid rooters have good root growth out of the cube. It is hard to control the water in the rapid rooters when they are put into the net pots and hydrotron. So, I am also saying too much water. I would pull the rapid rooters out of the net pots and put them into a rapid rooter tray cell until the plant have sprouted and gotten some good root growth.

They look over watered, and are fighting to stay alive. That's what I can see from your first post. I would recommend like some others to, put them in a more controlled environment with a dome and take them out of that clay for now if can until you see root exploding through the bottom. We want to give them love but I think your giving them alittle too much,lol

I really suck at hydro. Wish I could help you.

ya well, don't go away, I saw you mention 100W COB leds in another thread,
my LEDs are 8 years old now and I'm bewildered by the choice now.

What I mean is that I start them in the rapid rooters and do not put them into the net cups and the hydro unit until the rapid rooters have good root growth out of the cube. It is hard to control the water in the rapid rooters when they are put into the net pots and hydrotron. So, I am also saying too much water. I would pull the rapid rooters out of the net pots and put them into a rapid rooter tray cell until the plant have sprouted and gotten some good root growth.

ah yes, I see. I was doing that, just figured I could skip a step.
Consensus is overwatering (in hydro, that kills me)

The plugs don't seem as soggy this time. This about the time they stop growing so I'll be posting pictures.

all 12 are up and I lowered the lamp to about 2 inches above the tallest
they look nice and healthy like this one but I can't feed them, right? 2 days old
but I have to wait another TWO WEEKS?
limiting the watering to a syringe around the plug on to the rocks twice a day
if a plug looks like it's getting dry, I pass over it, otherwise I avoid them

I don't want to use a dome, I like the mist from the humidifier (70)

View attachment 101_0003.jpg

They look over watered, and are fighting to stay alive. That's what I can see from your first post. I would recommend like some others to, put them in a more controlled environment with a dome and take them out of that clay for now if can until you see root exploding through the bottom. We want to give them love but I think your giving them alittle too much,lol

"over watered, and are fighting to stay alive"
yup, the light went on when HP mentioned drowning them. I've had about 5 starts that ended up like that first picture. I was over-concerned about those plugs drying under the lamps so close that I insisted on keeping the tray half full of water
As much as they "looked" over-watered, i didn't think it possible in hydro and dismissed it. Stubborn stupid, cost me a fortune in seed.

I think I got it about right now but this is also where they freeze too

Too much water is definitely the problem you need to have them on a timer that way the table is flooding and draining a few times a day at least with constant water in there the roots are getting no oxygen and drowning in a sense

few times a day...
I think this is where I screw up. It's all relative to the size and health of the plant. I'm a nerd, I want to set my rig to ebb and flow every 90 min and forget about it but I think you have to fiddle.

next hurdle is nutes, that begins fill tray and drain, I dunno, twice a day still like syringing frequency?... Start as infrequent as possible and increase as plants grow seems the way to me
What is the first sign of thirst?

This is just my recommendations but at this point I think you have these right in the goldilocks zone of moisture. I wouldn't put these on a timer until you start feeding. Because of the situation of the hydroton and baskets, you need to continue to feed with syringe ONLY when plug feels just dry to the touch. You have to watch them carefully as they begin to grow their water usage will ramp up quickly. You have to keep a close eye on them and adjust accordingly.

A good rule of thumb for feeding is to wait 2 weeks before feeding but I go by the "seed leaves"(cotyledons). When I see them begin to yellow, I start with about 200-300ppm of base nutes with every watering. Then when I see vigorous growth begin, I ramp up nutes to 400-500ppm, etc. until I reach my max veg levels.

A side note about drowning in hydro. The key is in each plants' ability to draw in both moisture and free oxygen. Seedlings are at highest risk here because they are just beginning to grow very vulnerable roots. The slightest variance of too much or too little will damage them at this point. Once the roots have established themselves then they can handle more variances in environmental conditions and are able to more efficiently take in water, free oxygen, and nutrients. Consequently, once they are well established, they can be put in a continuous flow of nutrient solution as long as the free oxygen is continuously replenished.

This is just my recommendations but at this point I think you have these right in the goldilocks zone of moisture. I wouldn't put these on a timer until you start feeding. Because of the situation of the hydroton and baskets, you need to continue to feed with syringe ONLY when plug feels just dry to the touch. You have to watch them carefully as they begin to grow their water usage will ramp up quickly. You have to keep a close eye on them and adjust accordingly.

A good rule of thumb for feeding is to wait 2 weeks before feeding but I go by the "seed leaves"(cotyledons). When I see them begin to yellow, I start with about 200-300ppm of base nutes with every watering. Then when I see vigorous growth begin, I ramp up nutes to 400-500ppm, etc. until I reach my max veg levels.

excellent, two weeks? I mistakenly read as soon as you see serrated leaves, wrong leaves.
I was alright on the ppms but have been early, I 'll watch the cotyledons
and mark the calendar
pictures daily until they look established, I want to use this method,
thanks HP

A side note about drowning in hydro. The key is in each plants' ability to draw in both moisture and free oxygen. Seedlings are at highest risk here because they are just beginning to grow very vulnerable roots. The slightest variance of too much or too little will damage them at this point. Once the roots have established themselves then they can handle more variances in environmental conditions and are able to more efficiently take in water, free oxygen, and nutrients. Consequently, once they are well established, they can be put in a continuous flow of nutrient solution as long as the free oxygen is continuously replenished.

I like the idea of not having to transplant for that very reason but it backfired as I damage the roots moving them from tray to tray anyways.

And like you describe, I think I'm seeing some of these drinking faster than others or it's the heat from the light evaporating it. I'll see some plugs dryer than others but at least they aren't all sopping wet this time and look at latest pic, 12 for 12

"over watered, and are fighting to stay alive"
yup, the light went on when HP mentioned drowning them. I've had about 5 starts that ended up like that first picture. I was over-concerned about those plugs drying under the lamps so close that I insisted on keeping the tray half full of water
As much as they "looked" over-watered, i didn't think it possible in hydro and dismissed it. Stubborn stupid, cost me a fortune in seed.

I think I got it about right now but this is also where they freeze too

I have a tendency to over water my seeds too and show them too much love, always a learning lesson, especially when I've been growing from clone for so many years. I hear you on the burning through beans as a learning process, I'm currently going through my seed stash that's over 10+years and didn't store them all right so I've been going through them like no ones business. Soo sad to see how much money wasted but also losing so many great gifts I've gotten over the years.

Congratulations for the nice seedlings. They seem happy and growing. You can gently cover the stem with more growrocks imo

I have a tendency to over water my seeds too and show them too much love, always a learning lesson, especially when I've been growing from clone for so many years. I hear you on the burning through beans as a learning process, I'm currently going through my seed stash that's over 10+years and didn't store them all right so I've been going through them like no ones business. Soo sad to see how much money wasted but also losing so many great gifts I've gotten over the years.

ouch

I'm posting daily until these plants are established, got to fix this,
hmmmm reminds me of a tune, must make a stop before i leave ha!

One of the most important things to learn when growing from seed: The difference between moist and wet. Seeds and seedlings want to be kept moist not wet. :) Yeah I hate it when seedlings want to stretch straight up like that. I think its just something that some are going to do.

Congratulations for the nice seedlings. They seem happy and growing. You can gently cover the stem with more growrocks imo

Thanks, Zem, I have done that but I can't see the plug,
Too easy to have those things soaked where borderline dry seems to be right
as they do look great so far

One of the most important things to learn when growing from seed: The difference between moist and wet. Seeds and seedlings want to be kept moist not wet. :) Yeah I hate it when seedlings want to stretch straight up like that. I think its just something that some are going to do.

Nail. Head. Haha, i just read this after replying to Zem. Yes, that is exactly it.
I forgot how I started seeds in dirt 6 years ago,,, a tablespoon of water twice a day
I should have planted my seeds with scuba gear

They are about a week old and look fine to me so far. I'm measuring the wingspan of that biggest one mugging for the camera. I turned that one but look how they all reach for the light! How can that T5 HO 54w not be enough?

I see about an eighth of an inch growth every 8 hours maybe (wingspan, not height)
seems slow from pics i've seen around here

View attachment da goils.jpg

Latest posts

Back