The Mysterious Purple Stems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingsFaded

KingsFaded
Reaction score
So im growing outdoors, i live in southern California so it gets pretty sunny back there pretty much every day, it has been a little cold at night a few nights but nothing below 60-65 degrees. I've flushed twice and im using automatic feeding soil.

The plant is growing well, new growth every day. It seems to be healthy just the purple stems.

Ive heard this can be a sign of nutrient lockout but ive used age old organics which is suppose to keep the PH at a 6.5 and I've used very little, less than half of the recommended dosage on the bottle.

This plant is about 3 weeks into veg, using tap water for watering, PH is normal 6.5 or a little less acidic .3 or so

Ive included pictures for anyone who can give me a good answer to why this is happening.

I have one sativa that is flowering that i has the same issue with when it was around the same age. It grew up and its flowering great now but when i trimmed some of the old fan leafs i could see those stems where still purple yet the leafs seemed to be alive and fully functioning.

4_zps8227397d.jpg

3_zpsf24ad965.jpg

2_zpsa3335a53.jpg

1_zpsf5184abd.jpg

Everything looks Blue Bro,,,but yur weed looks healthy. I have seen this before with no problems. Hell some of my Flowers do that on the stems.

First of all, do not use pre-nuted soil. You have no control whatsoever over what your plant is being fed and how much. The pre-nuted soils just do not have the things that mj needs to grow well. So, it could well be a deficiency. Temps in the 60-65 range are really not cool enough to produce purpling. Some strains just have purple stems.

I am not sure you can really flush pre-nuted soil, but regardless, why are you flushing?

In the first pic, the plant is looking a little boyish. Was this grown from seed?

I was wondering if anyone else noticed those "boyish" looking buds developing in that first pick. I find it hard to believe that plant was grown from seed and is only 3 weeks old as it is already showing sexual maturity. It must be a clone.

That could be strain related, I have a strain called Blueberry Punch and it produces a lot of blu-ish coloring like that one there. But if it is happening to different plant strains then it must be something that you are doing.

don't sweat the purple stripes---not sure exactly what causes them but can say with certainty you can still get a good harvest---guessing it is a huge hit of nutes

temperatures below 64.4 farenheit can cause purple stems.

First of all it was grown from seed, all my plants are.

Pre-nuted soil bad choice but i don't have to worry about feeding, i can just throw it back there.

My indoor plants get fed every other watering.

As for the "Boyish look" you guys are talking about, i havent seen any sign of polen sacs, but ive seen pistols around where the nodes are forming.

This plant is roughly 4 weeks old give or take a week, im not sure.

Theres pics of my indoor plants, their healthy.

IMG_20130605_104947_zpscb1cf3c7.jpg

IMG_20130605_104850_zps06f9de10.jpg

IMG_20130605_104944_zpsc9f13b95.jpg.html

IMG_20130605_104929_zps4a785a94.jpg

IMG_20130518_152648copy_zps1bd98803.jpg

I didn't mean to offend you Brother, it's just that the first pic looks like the preflowers are male and the plant already has alternating nodes, which I have never seen so early. Are you running them on 12/12 lighting from germenation? They're not important points anyway, just suprised. Your other plants look solidly healthy, so I'd say its just a phenotype anomaly. :)

"Are you running them on 12/12 lighting from germenation?"

That is what I thought but it is an outdoor grown plant. Look how it is throwing only leaves of three........ is it straving? reaching maturity quickly without food? I'm just typing my thoughts.

My bad, I thought I read that he was inside :doh: When I read it before I must have been straight, now I see :stoned:

Latest posts

Back