OMG what did I do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BongBombshell

AKA 'smokin hottie'
Reaction score
My plants are over a week old and I realized that the light (400hps) was too close (12 inches). I was sooo paranoid about streching that I had it wayyyyy to close............the leaves almost started burning off. Well I corrected the problem and moved it to about 20 inches.......I am seeing some positives.....new growth ect.....at the same time the stems seem to be streching and coloring is off still.
Is there hope.......did I stress them out too young?
Would it be better to scrap the grow and start over.....of course I don't want to do this!!!!
Please advise...Pleaaasseee:confused:

BongBombshell If they are showing signs of getting better I would ride them out for a while.
With your post "OMG what did I do?" It's like a car accident you have to slow down to see the carnage. But sounds like u will be alright let me know how it goes

is the lamp air cooled? I can get my 1000w lamps 8 inches from the tops with no ill effects. Air cooled hoods are a must.

if it's not air cooled.. raise it up or replace it with cfls until you get that hood to be aircooled..

if its aircooled try 18 to 24 inch up from the plants...

should have start with flours lights first..

Don't listen to papa. The only reason I'm posting is to correct that nonsense. Switch out an HID for floro's? Are you nuts? Also if it is air cooled, like buddyluv said, you can get it within 8 inch's, but I wouldn't go much closer as you are likely to start seeing negative things happen because of the IR spectrum. It will make your plant's albino and stunt their growth. Either way get yourself a little thermometer and hang it from your hood so that its at the same hight as your canopy. This will tell you what the temps are at the most critical place of your grow. Try to keep it around 25 degree's (give or take 3 or so degree's and your fine)

Ok........so perhaps the title was a little much LOL. Sometimes I can be a spaz.
Anyhow they are looking better today.....some new growth and much perkier.
My hooded lamp is not air cooled .......however I do have two fans going and the temp has been steady at 74 degrees.
I think I had the light way too close.......stupid mistake......I just hope I didn't mess them up too much. I think I will watch them close for the next couple days and hope for the best.
I will try and keep everyone posted!!!!
Thanks to all

Bong .....Well sounds like everything is back on track. Title was perfect it got me to slow down :) I and most new growers tend to spaz at the slightest things. GROW ON!

A 400 watt should be placed 16-19 inches away. What is the height now? You might have accidentally got so paranoid you over raised LOL!

P.s. Tater please be more open minded, don't go around flaming someone just because you don't agree. Be respectful when making a correction, explain your POV and why.

Then there will be more respect and less ignorance in this community, eh?

Here is a model reply:

"Papa, I think that was a good suggestion to air cool the lights. I made a DIY cooled hood thread here: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29666

Untill then, no need to switch out with CFL's or anything, just raise the light to around 20 inches until you have that cooltube made."

Sorry man but I gotta call a spade a spade. How about a little respect for the English language? Or maybe not spouting off misinformation? Personally I think it would be much more productive if there were less coddling and hand holding and more of a push towards learning and developing research skill's so that one can answer their own question. Thanks for your concern but it is unwanted. I don't have the patience nor the time for stupidity. Also respect is a two way street. I respect people enough to type my replies so that they are easy to understand, as factual as I can make them, and as to the point as possible so as not to waste precious time. Words only have power if you give them power, so if you choose to be offended by some words on a screen thats up to you.

PS: I didn't "flame" poppa, if I did you would know it.

Oh hey bong, are you in veg right now or flower? If you are in veg than don't worry about it, they will rebound. If you are in flower you may see some negative effects but I doubt it. Just keep an eye on them and try not to worry to much. You may just worry your plants to death. :p

They need that green healthy leaf space to grow properly. If all your leaves died due to heat/light proximity, then there is not enough of the plant to absorb the light. They will naturally stretch when they don't get enough light. Give them some time. They were young to begin with, so I wouldn't get too caught up on how bad you've "stressed" them. Give them a few weeks to catch up to sexual maturity and then flower them. I bet the stress didn't kill off too many fems.

Been there, done that. I used a cfl in a desk lamp. I moved my little ones to a thirty gallon aquarium lined with foil and lit with CFLs. Moved light far enough from plants and foil conserved light for my purposes.

i would air cool my reflector.i run a 400 w,air cooled and i keep it 4-5 inches from the canopy.if its cool to the touch,the closer the better.jmo

I will say this over and over again. Do not save money by buying a cheap hood. Buy an aircooled hood and a fan to vent it. You will be rewarded ten times what you spent went you harvest. I am not sure why people still cut corners and cheap out on their equipment. All I see is problem after problem because someone wanted to save 30-40 bucks on their project. Do it right the first time and you will not end up spending big bucks down the road trying to correct the problem.

Ok........thanks for the overwhelming response to my post!!!!! This is where I am at right now.....growth is very slow (painfully so) and the light is about 18 inches from tops..... but its green.......although not a nice dark green ......I am keeping my fingers crossed.
As for my light setup.......I am going to continue on with what I got right now. However....that being said.....I have a very nice dual ballast and lighting system(800w total) that has the air cooled capabilities(I bought the small one to fit in a closet after losing by super awesome secret 8x6x10 concrete grow room .....I had to relocate). Anyhow......I am going to build another room in a rather large basement (not as super secret or awesome but it will do). Hopefully I will beable to controll more in a larger enclosed space.........Its been 5 or 6 years since I have grown so I know I am making crazy mistakes left and right. It is starting to come back to me with a little help from my grow buddies on this site!!!!!
Well I am going to break out the camera later tonight and take some pictures so maybe to get input on how they look and help others.
Thanks again to everyone!!!!!!!!!
God I love this site!!!!

Sorry tater, I only expected more out of you.

There need be no hand holding, I agree. Sometimes a small push is necessary. But substituting respect for knowledge is not a good trade off, especially when both can be achieved at once.

Latest posts

Back