Sudden wilting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesso

Mad Scientist
Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I recently put one of my purple trainwrecks into flower. It wasnt the healthiest of plants and i needed room on my veg table. That was five days ago. Today when i opened the tent the little plant was wilted. Its getting the same nutes as veg. Temps are 75 to 68. Rh is 60. Ph is 5.6 to 6.1. Ppm are 1000 to 1200. Light is a 600 watt hps. I flushed with ph corrected (5.8) ro water and there has been no change.
It was the least foliated plant on my veg table. It looked very thin when i put it into the tent. It has very hollow stems as well, perhaps when i relocated it and i broke a branch on the bottom it disrupted the uptake of water. The broken branch left a hole in the main stem. Anyway if anyone knows how to fix something like this it would be appreciated very much.

When you say needed room, are you saying you moved this plant?? SHOCK??? Any significant change from where it was to where it is could cause this. Any other change? Nothing to loose in taping the hole and reinforcing that area. I broke one, splinted with a tooth pick and taped and it repaired and made buds.

Looks like it didn't get any water with the last flood. Is it possible your lava rocks were displaced and caused the water to run away from that plant?

I agree with AM--looks like it has gone without water. A broken stem can indeed interfere with water uptake if it is left and not splinted up. I doubt that this plant is going to survive.

Also, you put this plant in there 5 days ago....and not check on it for those 5 days? If not, you should really be checking in on your girls everyday--at least a peak to see if everything looks okay. If you do check on a daily basis, when exactly did this happen...was it okay for 4 days and wilted overnight?

I actually don't understand your flood and drain system at all--how exactly do the plants uptake the water they need in a setup like that--huge pots sticking up out of the drain table?

I agree with AM--looks like it has gone without water. A broken stem can indeed interfere with water uptake if it is left and not splinted up. I doubt that this plant is going to survive.

Also, you put this plant in there 5 days ago....and not check on it for those 5 days? If not, you should really be checking in on your girls everyday--at least a peak to see if everything looks okay. If you do check on a daily basis, when exactly did this happen...was it okay for 4 days and wilted overnight?

I actually don't understand your flood and drain system at all--how exactly do the plants uptake the water they need in a setup like that--huge pots sticking up out of the drain table?

I check them every day and do a ph and ppm and overall health check. It wilted over night. It seems to not be taking up water. I taped the hole but too little too late. I dont think this plant will make it either.
As for the set up i explain it in my journal a little bit. In a flood and drain you dont need to completely submerge the pots. That is why most people fail in this type of system. The pearlite actually wicks up enough moisture to the entire root zone. The medium is moist about an inch below the surface. The lava rocks on the bottom two inches of the pots act as a filter to not let out the pearlite. The lava rock on the top of the pots acts as a paper weight of sorts for the drier pearlite...so it doesnt blow away from the fan. The huge pots allow plenty of room for a healthy root system and the pearlite drains to the perfect amount of moisture for cannabis.

Looks like it didn't get any water with the last flood. Is it possible your lava rocks were displaced and caused the water to run away from that plant?

No. The medium was moist about an inch under the surface. I agree that it looks like no water is taken up the plant though. I think its the hole in the side of the stem.

Last edited:
Yes, the broken stem most likely is the problem. However, generally the plant will uptake water to the break and you can save the bottom part of the plant. Your entire plant seems to be affected though, so it could be something else.

Yes, the broken stem most likely is the problem. However, generally the plant will uptake water to the break and you can save the bottom part of the plant. Your entire plant seems to be affected though, so it could be something else.

Makes sense that the entire plant ia affected. The hole is at the bottom of the plant. I taped it. Foliar fed it. Now i will wait a couple of days and keep spraying the leaves.

Latest posts

Back