Unknown source of dieing leaves. Help?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljpowner

Reaction score
Hey all ive been growing this dynafem [[(feminized] and my bottom leaves are turning a light yellow and brown. I automatically assumed it was a nitrogen deficiency. I havent been nuting yet. I use oceancrest foxfarm soil. So i nuted her with 20 20 15 just to give an overall nute. This was yesterday.
Now should I be good? Or should i take more precation besides this. Average temp range is 75-86F. Humidity is usually lower from 16-30%
Help would be awesome all [emoji12] thanks

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1421183803155.jpg

I wish you hadn't given them that fertilizer. While the standard ferts are ok ffor flower beds and certain gardens, its not something that MJ likes. MJ is very particular to the elements, very "need specific". Fortunately you are in veg right now the plant can take some abuse without killing it.

The bottom leaves in grows like this often get beat up and splashed with nuted water. These leaves are always the first to fade and fall off. But that's not necessarily a problem. Even in the healthiest of grows, you will lose the bottom leaves over time. Just watch the leaves and see if the damage continues to climb the plant. If you have a random leaf get ugly and die, don't sweat it. Iff the necrosis begins to show a pattern then that means there is a problem.

I don't know how much off the ferts you gave them for the next week, watch the leaves ffor darkening, leaves curling under like a Ram's horn, and the tips of the fronds turning yellow/brown (necrosis). All off these are signs of the plant having too much nutrients and it is burning the plant and its roots. I very highly suggest that you look into some nutrients that are formulated for growing MJ as they are easier to get right for the plants to thrive. I would suggest either General Hydroponics, Flora 3part, or (my fav) Advanced Nutrients' Jungle Juice 3part.

MJ is a far more finicky and exacting plant that requires the elements be just right in order to give you the best results. :)

Other than the bottom leaf there, the plant looks healthy enough :) except for it growing sideways :doh:

Well its been a day. It seems happy other than those couple bottom leaves. Im gonna go ahead and flush it tomorrow just to make sure i dont get any nute burn. Or nute build up. Appreciate it. Im gonna clip the bad ones. The rest look fairly happy

Any way to fix the sideways growth? I figured straightening out under the MH light would make it go vertical. And other tips on making it grow straight upish?

They were healthy enough before you gave them a hot food in a hot soil. Listen to Hushpuppy.

Any way to fix the sideways growth? I figured straightening out under the MH light would make it go vertical. And other tips on making it grow straight upish?

Hush was just joshin' with you--he was talking about the picture being posted sideways. You actually want the plant to grow pretty short and stout, especially while it is young.

Like mentioned, it is a good idea to know what a plant is suffering from rather than simply guessing at a remedy that make make things worse...and this is one of those cases. Fox Farm Ocean Forest (I am assuming that is what you have as I cannot find a soil called Oceancrest) is an organic soil and as such, the microbes in the soil breake down organic matter and feed the plant. When chemical fertilizers are introduced, it kills the microbe herds that are feeding the plant. There really is a reason that cannabis is expensive--it is expensive to grow and it is hard to grow. Well, maybe not hard like hothouse orchids, but it is finicky and has very specific wants and needs. Be sure and read ALL product information on anything you use for cannabis. For instance, the FF Ocean Forest says: "Perfect for containers and ready to use right out of the bag. Ocean Forest® is pH adjusted at 6.3 to 6.8 to allow for optimum fertilizer uptake. There’s no need for nitrogen fertilizers at first; instead try an organic blend like FoxFarm Big Bloom® Liquid Plant Food to encourage strong branching and a sturdy, healthy growth habit."

Unfortunately, now you are going to have to worry about pH, you are going to have to feed a proper nutrient formulated for MJ. Something like the GH nutrients mentioned are a great choice. You could try and build a new microbe herd in your soil, but it is hard after the fact. In general, you cannot mix organics and chemical nutrients. The advantages to the organic grow is not having to worry about pH and all the other advantages that organic offers. You can basically make nutrients out of garbage or buy commercial organic nutrients. But organic is organic--you cannot be kind of organic..like being pregnant, you are or you aren't.

There are many experienced growers here who are more than willing to help you out with advise. When you are unsure, run it by the good people here and someone is sure to steer you in the right direction. This is such a long process and a hundred little things can trip you up on the way. We are here to help you avoid as many of these pitfalls as possible.

Green Mojo for your girl. Overall,m she looks pretty healthy. I do not cut leaves, unless I am taking off excessive branches. The plant will drop the leaves when it is done taking all the good from them.

Thanks for the info. If it isn't too much trouble to ask can someone find me a link to organic nutes that are good for my plant? She seems happy and I'd like to keep her that way. If you could find new a good amazon link that wound be awesome

Is it possible it could be doing this because the roots have no room to grow? Should i transplant it to a 3gallon now? Its in a 1 gallon

Then what? Wait? Im just so worried that this plant will die...

What should i look for. To be honest ive never made it this far.

Also. Is it possible that not enough space for the roots would cause it to be doing this?

SO, you were in fox farm ocean forest which is a hot soil. Then you added hot nutes. Yes it is going to burn the plant. Like Multi said, you can flush. If you replant in ffof, you will not need to feed for 5 weeks. Then you can use a good organic line, I like Earth Juice...here is a link to this site about it...http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54272 If you want to order it, here [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Juice-Bloom-Quart-0-3-1/dp/B000MZJY2S/ref=sr_1_22?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1421271601&sr=1-22&keywords=earth+juice[/ame] You won't need any veg nutes. Just flowering.

So these are the steps i need to take right.
Flush
Transplant to 3 gallon
Water until flower stage
Use the nute you posted during flower.
Harvest
Rinse repeat.

Heres my biggest concern.
Is my plant already screwed?
Im just so scared i cant save her.

So i need the best info you guys can chuck at me. No more chemical nutes. EVER. I get that now.

And also what could be the cause of this continuous issue. Like i understand from pics its hard to pick one thing... but do you guys have mayne a top three i can take arms and fight against?

I would just flush and leave it alone. It is stressed enough. You will lose those bottom leaves after a while...that is ok. All you can do now is wait and see where she goes. Let her dry then water again. Make sure you have a good fan in your grow... I can guess she will not be as pretty as she was..but she may make it just fine... breathe.

And, just as an fyi, don't take my word for what nute you should use, read up on all the stickys in the soil and nutes section... I just like to keep it simple. Fox farm nuts aren't really all organic, some are..so I stay with a total organic line...but see what you think after reading some more while your waiting for your plant to be ok.. You started out with a bang.... now we need to back way off...you will be ok...

I appreciate the help. I'm just going to wait for a day until skill is dry and see where I am then. I hope she'll be okay

Im going to assume so yeah. Usually takes 2 days after a good watering

Latest posts

Back