Butane testing thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hal u remember a while back when I posted the hash oil globe on the forum from my local shop called Aqua Lab Technologies? No one had seen it. I have since retired it and no longer want to smoke that waxy crud. Take a "dab" as big as you can, milk it yellow and taste that lovely crap in it. It tastes like a candle, I had said it before I knew there was crap in it that this stuff doesn't feel right. You can't boil out the crap that's in it. Your friends ever do a mass spec on a sample? I'd like to...

This is a petroleum byproduct. Not safe no matter what your friends tell you. It goes for big money because most people don't know or care what they are smoking. CO2 extract is much better and tastier, not to mention does not contain petroleum and gives you a more pure product.

Extracting THC using a petrol fuel????

You know how cocaine is made right?

There are better ways to get stoned guys. :D

NorCalHal said:
All I can say is my boys are making a concentrate with no impurites at all, and from butane extraction. It has been testing at 80% and is perfectly clear. It goes for BIG money. Personally, I don't make it at all, so I am not sure the exact steps they do, but I know they use a double boiler also.
There is a HUGE new trend called "Dabs", and it is catching on big time. I too have bought a "dab" rig for my bong, and it is truly one hitter quiter.

I was taken off guard recently at a party that Steep Hill labs thru. All the big players were there, including the De 'angelo's and many NORML folks. No one was smoking herb. I was saddened. They ALL were taking "dabs". Concentrate only.

Anyone familar with what I am talking about?

Yep:D Got an adapter for the bong. One is a real small triangle bowl like thing that you touch a glass rod to and the other is a dome like thing with a metal titanium plate that swivels up and under the dome once heated. Then place the dab(concentrate) on the titanium plate. To hit it. While hitting it this way I have never tasted a petroleum byproduct. I have tasted it when hitting a bowl that has gotten to hot and has burned the product.

And Hal, 80% and no impurities??? :giggle:

What's the other 20%?

*you can't answer that without a mass spec on the sample.

In addition, Vector (the brand used most by stoners;))appears to be only 60% (SIXTY) butane. That's 40 percent not butane :p

hXXp://www.vectorkgm.com/catalog/butane/Vector_Gas_MSDS.pdf

Some of that stuff is lubrication for torch lighters!:eek:

Just for shiggs and gittles I looked up power 7x and Ronson

hXXp://www.gpsidental.com/uploads/files/Ronson Butane Refill MSDS - May 2000.pdf

Edit: just found this but not power specifically. Still can't find power's. Hmmm

hXXp://www.originenergy.com.au/files/MSDSCommercialButane.pdf

Apparently they don't guarantee any percentage, and clearly don't monitor "batches".

Mercaptans are also present. Which can affect your central nervous system. It can be present in such small amounts that would require a spectrograph to determine how much. In larger amounts it smells bad but in small (mg/kg) amounts you may not detect it.

Inhaling some of the butane on its own will eventually lead to your central nervous system breakdown.

Some inhalants change cardiac physiology and increase the risk for cardiac failure. For example,butane (from cigarette lighters), freon (from aerosol propellants) and toluene (from glues) hypersensitize cardiac cells to norepinephrine, the neurotransmitter that stimulates cardiac contractions. Inhalants interfere with the transport of oxygen by interfering with the binding or release of oxygen by red blood cells. The resulting hypoxia also causes cardiac cell hypersensitivity to norepinephrine. Norepinephrine sensitivity and hypoxia can cause cardiac muscles to defibrillate or begin contracting randomly. A syndrome called Sudden Sniffing Death (SSD) occurs without warning, and discontinuation of breathing the inhalant does not reverse the sequence of events.
hXXp://www.wickedroots.com/Vaporizers/Neurotoxic-Effects-Butane-Gas.html

Again, I need to ask why people still use it? Too bad I already know the answer. Because getting high now is more important then thinking about the future. Quote me on this: within a few years to decades there will be a huge increase of neurologically impaired people. Anyone wonder why those NOS balloon guys you knew in high school are now legally retarded? Your mind...You don't get that back.

I care guys, dont want to argue...so just trust your instincts.

Haha...OG. I hear ya bro. I know what you are talking about, the wax,yellow looking stuff. To me, that is full of junk. The product that my boys are making is straight glass, we call it Jolly Rancher. Clear amber.
When Steep Hill tested it, I am not sure what all they tested for, but I know that they tested for butane traces, and found none.
Now, I ain't trippin, just relayin' what I know about it. I have hit it quite a few times, and absolutly no bad taste, just tasty hashness. I will have to get some pics of this stuff. It is not wax at all. Not oil either.
I appreciate your concern bro, but that is the trend going on, and it is only getting bigger.
Here is the menu from the dispensary I vend it too. Notice the HUGE list of concentrates they carry. It surely isn't going away anytime soon.

hXXp://legalmarijuanadispensary.com/dispensaries/california/south-san-josecampbell-dispensaries/4539

Nice PC Duck! I too just got a rig a couple of weeks ago. I got the titanium Nail and Dab rod is titanium also. I have been layin' people out.

I do know the that 8.9% of the remaining 20% was CBD's.

Some key points to bho extracts (erls, dabs) and proper smoking apparati:

You cannot vape off all terpinoids in temps below 1600 degrees.

Heating metal i.e. titanium to temps as high as this can cause the metal itself to emit vapors. No bueno. Use quartz nails, or a noodle if your all crazy like that.

Use either map gas (yellow tank) or a really good butane torch (vector makes a sweet one) to heat your smoking apparati.

Get a reclaimer. All the recollected oil has been decarboxylated (site spelling) and can be ingested as-is.

You can smell butane in your wax if its not done.

If you are not using a vacum pump to extract butane, you are doing it wrong. Period.

If you have cloudy oils, theres butane in it.
Same for bubbles.

Texture is strain specific.

Do NOT use galvinized. Copper is ok. Pre made glass tubes often are incorreclty sized.

Use cotton tshirts for filter mediums. Cut them tight to fit, or you'll get "Wick-off".

More refined butane is better.

Your heat threshold is very tiny. As in, its really easy to overdo it, or under cook it.

No blasting tubes in your apartment, hotel, or any areas where bystanders may be injured, should the very likely happen. No more than two cans indoors, per six hours. No exceptions.

Oh, and I just thought I should add, that dabbing is HUGE. Bigger than most of you could possibly imagine. An entire new industry has exploded, because people are realizing you can take one hit and get the job done. Not three joints, hash hands, and bad breath later.

You are also UNPROTECTED by the law. Even though this is techincally not a coversion, its still illegal and yes, they do throw people in prison for making it all the time. Medical card or not.

Oh, and wear potholders, cause that extractor gets cold as ****. No more than four cans per tube. Any more than that, and your extractor is too big.

Class dismissed.

OGKushman said:
In addition, Vector (the brand used most by stoners;))appears to be only 60% (SIXTY) butane. That's 40 percent not butane :p

hXXp://www.vectorkgm.com/catalog/butane/Vector_Gas_MSDS.pdf

Some of that stuff is lubrication for torch lighters!:eek:

Just for shiggs and gittles I looked up power 7x and Ronson

hXXp://www.gpsidental.com/uploads/files/Ronson%20Butane%20Refill%20MSDS%20-%20May%202000.pdf

Edit: just found this but not power specifically. Still can't find power's. Hmmm

hXXp://www.originenergy.com.au/files/MSDSCommercialButane.pdf

Apparently they don't guarantee any percentage, and clearly don't monitor "batches".

Mercaptans are also present. Which can affect your central nervous system. It can be present in such small amounts that would require a spectrograph to determine how much. In larger amounts it smells bad but in small (mg/kg) amounts you may not detect it.

Inhaling some of the butane on its own will eventually lead to your central nervous system breakdown.

hXXp://www.wickedroots.com/Vaporizers/Neurotoxic-Effects-Butane-Gas.html

Again, I need to ask why people still use it? Too bad I already know the answer. Because getting high now is more important then thinking about the future. Quote me on this: within a few years to decades there will be a huge increase of neurologically impaired people. Anyone wonder why those NOS balloon guys you knew in high school are now legally retarded? Your mind...You don't get that back.

I care guys, dont want to argue...so just trust your instincts.

Or consider keeping it in perspective? There is light years difference between residual butane in parts per millionth, and sniffing butane.

The Effen Gee said:
Some key points to bho extracts (erls, dabs) and proper smoking apparati:

You cannot vape off all terpinoids in temps below 1600 degrees.

Heating metal i.e. titanium to temps as high as this can cause the metal itself to emit vapors. No bueno. Use quartz nails, or a noodle if your all crazy like that.

Use either map gas (yellow tank) or a really good butane torch (vector makes a sweet one) to heat your smoking apparati.

Get a reclaimer. All the recollected oil has been decarboxylated (site spelling) and can be ingested as-is.

You can smell butane in your wax if its not done.

If you are not using a vacum pump to extract butane, you are doing it wrong. Period.

If you have cloudy oils, theres butane in it.
Same for bubbles.

Texture is strain specific.

Do NOT use galvinized. Copper is ok. Pre made glass tubes often are incorreclty sized.

Use cotton tshirts for filter mediums. Cut them tight to fit, or you'll get "Wick-off".

More refined butane is better.

Your heat threshold is very tiny. As in, its really easy to overdo it, or under cook it.

No blasting tubes in your apartment, hotel, or any areas where bystanders may be injured, should the very likely happen. No more than two cans indoors, per six hours. No exceptions.

Oh, and I just thought I should add, that dabbing is HUGE. Bigger than most of you could possibly imagine. An entire new industry has exploded, because people are realizing you can take one hit and get the job done. Not three joints, hash hands, and bad breath later.

You are also UNPROTECTED by the law. Even though this is techincally not a coversion, its still illegal and yes, they do throw people in prison for making it all the time. Medical card or not.

Oh, and wear potholders, cause that extractor gets cold as ****. No more than four cans per tube. Any more than that, and your extractor is too big.

Class dismissed.

Which terpenoids require 1600F? As hydrocarbons, all that I am familiar with, are converted to CO2 and water vapor around half that temperature. Carbon itself burns at 400C/752F. That is why self cleaning ovens operate in that range.

Whether you need a vacuum or not, sort of depends on what form you are using your oil in. It isn't needed if you are decarboxylating afterwards, for instance.

I hope you are kidding about no more than two cans of butane indoors per six hours. I recommend zero cans indoors at any time, with no exceptions. One can is more than enough to blow a roof off.

In Oregon,we are protected by the OMMP laws, and extracting oil is legal.

One can of butane will not blow your roof off. Thought you may be a bit smarter than that.

Its not weather you need a vacum or not, its you need a vacum pump or quit. I've shared enough secrets about butane hash making as it is.

In california, you are WIDE OPEN to prosecution. Regardless of what people may tell you, I have more than a few homies who either are broke fighting the legal battle, or are in jail..excuse me..prison.

The Effen Gee said:
One can of butane will not blow your roof off. Thought you may be a bit smarter than that.

Its not weather you need a vacum or not, its you need a vacum pump or quit. I've shared enough secrets about butane hash making as it is.

In california, you are WIDE OPEN to prosecution. Regardless of what people may tell you, I have more than a few homies who either are broke fighting the legal battle, or are in jail..excuse me..prison.

And I thought you were smarter than to use butane indoors, but it looks like both our dreams were dashed.

Exactly how much explosive force do you imagine 300 ml of liquid butane will create at 233:1 liquid to gas ratio? Something to be brushed aside and casually ignored?

Got several vacuum pumps, but certainly don't need them to adequately purge butane by other processes. For instance, after winterizing a BHO, how much butane is left?

Oil is also legal in Oregon, regardless of the state of affairs in CA, therefore your absolute statement is untrue, exactly as I stated.

I simply took exception to your untrue absolute statements about vacuum and legality, but quite frankly I consider you telling newbies that it OK to use up to two cans of butane indoors a criminal act.

Since ya'll newbies on this forum don't know either of us from Adams off ox, may I suggest that you ignore us both on the subject and do your own research by calling your local Fire Marshall to get his professional input and your local District Attorney for his views on reckless endangering.

..:p... I dunno id I'd call it "criminal", but I agree with the idea that extraction w/ butane 'indoors' is dangerous. Ventilation would be "paramount" IMO..:)

It doesn't need to "blow the roof off"... only a digit err two, or your face!1 :p

vacuums and legalities, I'll leave to the house cleaner and lawyers..:D

What Effen is talking about is The legality of BHO in Cali. It is Illegal. Period.
Only Water extraction is legal under MMJ laws. Butane Extraction carries the same charge as manufacturing Meth. Good Times.

You are absolutly wrong Effen on the vaccuum pump. There is better ways my friend. Come see me. We are killin' it in the Bay.

There have already been pictures posted of houses with sections of the roof blown off, from indoor extractors using butane, and would it even be OK if it just blew out a few windows and ear drums, or subjected the surroundings to a 3500F plus degree fireball.

My use of the term crimimal act, hinges on whether we define telling someone gullible something is OK, that gets them killed or maimed, is just irresponsible or a crime against the innocent.

I'm willing to call it by any name as long as everyone reading this thread either understands how dangerous it is or researches it further untill they do.

Here is an article on Butane safety that ya'll might check out, along with questioning your local Fire Marshall.

hXXp://skunkpharmresearch.com/butane-safety/

@OGkushman lol according to all testing facilities properly made bho is absolutely clean. docters have sat down and discussed this. conclusions have been reached.
and as far as a dab tasting like a candle...lol? are you used to smoking out of a joint or some unknown grade metal pipe?
i dab off of quarts or highly educated titanium and it tastes like a super tasty candy of whatever strain i made it from.

maybe your doing it wrong? lab results show properly done bho is absolutely clean. lol i dont know what else to tell you.

id like to see these lab results... And how do you dab quarts? :rofl: what? what exactly is "highly educated titanium"?

I have a titanium nail...oh only if the crash didnt happen. Many of you forget i was the first to post the hash oil globe here. I got it from Aqua Lab here locally who had the first designs. I still have the pics around...

Im not here to laugh or poke fun. I know its got crap in it that i dont want in me. If its made with small butane lighter refill cans its got unwanted stuff in it. ill give Jeff at Cannachemistry a call and arrange some mass spec testing. You know me im always good for some results on paper. ;)

Ok so i did some google searching and lo and behold look what pops up.

hXXp://aqualabtechnologies.com/concentrate-utensils/highly-educated-titanium.html

Aqua Lab hahaa. This place is down the street from me.

So they changed the name lol you realize you have the same setup i have had since mid 2010? In any case, when the chemist calls back ill set it up. Going to have him test the stuff i can scrape off a mirror that evaporates from one can.

What worries me is inhaling the butane as it comes out of the can. Not when it burns in the BHO. If it were 100% pure and not vector style small can butane we wouldnt be having this discussion. :p

Edit: Small update. I havent heard back from jeff at Cannachemistry so I just got off the phone with a rep from Intertek. They are going to determine if their west coast or their Houston lab can accomodate a full spectral analysis on 3 samples of evaporated butane residuals. They will contact me within 24 hours with a quote and the size of sample needed. I know and trust Intertek and believe their Lake Forest Ca. lab should be able to test this.

What worries me is inhaling the butane as it comes out of the can. Not when it burns in the BHO. If it were 100% pure and not vector style small can butane we wouldnt be having this discussion.

I thought we were discussing the residual butane left in the bho?

If we are discussing inhaling straight butane, then I would have to agree with OGK and say inhaling butane is bad for you.

Latest posts

Back