Pasturized Chicken Manure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Poet

Reaction score
I was out feeding my chickens this morning and noticed the manure under the cages was getting up to the bottom of the cage wire.
{I build my cages with the bottoms 12" off the ground}
So after moving the cages back I scraped the manure up with a big hoe, shoveled it into two 5 gallon buckets and carried them out to the barn where I had three 55 gallon barrels waiting. I filled one and will finish tomorrow but I was thinking...

Manure, especially to be used inside a house needs to be 'pasteurized', ie. heated in order to kill anything alive in there. I thought that if I leave this manure in those barrels for a year, then crush it with a 4" x 4" in order to make it look not so much like chicken **** and it will pack better, strain it and heat it to about 300-350 degrees for half an hour then not only would it be rotted down {composted} but then heated in my smoker 5 gallons at a time in a metal bucket; the smoker would lend a BBQ, smokey smell to the manure, being composted it won't stink anyway and I can smoke it free with a wood fire.

A #50 Lb sack of feed can hold 15 gallons of manure and used chicken feed sacks would be appropriate sacking. I have a friend who manages a feed store and raises chickens at home 100's of them so I have an unlimited source of chicken manure.

So what I am getting at is becoming the new Bo Pilgrim, the new Tyson Chicken guy and selling this sxxx for money! Think about it! A new business, that of supplying chicken manure to the entire southwest. I can see it all now! Potting soil sells for $25. a #50 Lb sack and so will:
"Uncle Poet's pasteurized, scented chicken manure" Fifty cents a pound!

Hey! You can't beat that deal!

Uncle Poet

Poet, sounds like some good stuff, I also raise chickens and I gather all the older manure(it looks like rich dirt) then fill a burlap sack full . I use a 55 gal barrel that's had the top cut out and I hang my burlap down in it and fill with water. makes a kick-a** tea.

Even tho chicken crap lol is great fertilizer for out door use would be very cautious using it indoor and handling it ....

to have Pasteurized manure u just put in an open area with sun until it dries n here u go, DONT put them in barrels

DrFever,

Hence... pasteurizing it.
Everything's dead, micro included and it smells like BBQ!

Poet

Budgrower,

My barrels have big holes chopped in the bottom with a pickax and they are in the barn to sit.
They are not covered either. {The sxxx was several months old when I shoveled it up} That's ok... {its dry}
Chicken manure should break down and be well composted before using on on young plants.
I looked it up and I don't remember what it said but 'more than a few months' rings a bell.
Mine is in the barn out of the rain so It will keep.
It doesn't deteriorate just sitting there.
I can use it now or in the spring,
...within a year I recon...

Thanks...

Poet

Latest posts

Back