Best Rosin Press for the Money

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to get some input on pressure. I have been trying to find somewhere that talks about the ideal pressure (and temps) and really cannot find anything. As PSI x area equal force, I am thinking that the correct process would be to decide on the heat plate sizes, how many psi you want and buy a jack sized accordingly. I see the advantage of round plates as the pucks usually end up round. The larger the plates, the larger jack you need and the heavier the press.

I am tending towards making something along the lines of the 2 I linked from E-bay. I like the smaller size and portability. I worry that the 2 ton press the first one has is not big enough for 4" square platesAnd they look like something I could make. While the machining on the first one looks pretty cool, it is really for looks, and 6" x 6" flat plate would work just as well. I'm thinking the thermostat may be better on top. The second one is pretty basic. I watched a video on You Tube of pressings done with this and it looked pretty straightforward.

As a side note, I am having a problem finding a jack that has a pressure gauge on it.

The 1 Kraven uses is very similar to the Northerntool. Mine is similar to HarborFreight. The parameters seem to vary widely as to temp, pressure, and time. I think Kraven has been following subcool on IG and following his lead on some of this.

I'd like to get some input on pressure. I have been trying to find somewhere that talks about the ideal pressure (and temps) and really cannot find anything. As PSI x area equal force, I am thinking that the correct process would be to decide on the heat plate sizes, how many psi you want and buy a jack sized accordingly. I see the advantage of round plates as the pucks usually end up round. The larger the plates, the larger jack you need and the heavier the press.

I am tending towards making something along the lines of the 2 I linked from E-bay. I like the smaller size and portability. I worry that the 2 ton press the first one has is not big enough for 4" square platesAnd they look like something I could make. While the machining on the first one looks pretty cool, it is really for looks, and 6" x 6" flat plate would work just as well. I'm thinking the thermostat may be better on top. The second one is pretty basic. I watched a video on You Tube of pressings done with this and it looked pretty straightforward.

As a side note, I am having a problem finding a jack that has a pressure gauge on it.

Yeah, I wish I had a pressure gauge. However, it really has nothing to do with your end result.

When you pump the jack and feel the plates pressing together, you can finesse the plates together just the way you want to make it perfect.

Temp and pressure is a personal thing, Lower temps offer better taste and less burned off terpines. However, higher temps tend to provide more yield.

And, strain makes quite a difference. And, moisture content of the puck. I found the relative humidity where I was pressing to be a giant factor. My yield went up a solid 3% when I moved it to a more humid part of the house.

So, even though it would be totally cool to have the pressure gauge, it really isn't anything more than sugar.

This is another nice thing about making your own. You will experiment and find what you like best. This makes your press so much more personal. I went though 3 or 4 prototypes before I settled on the one I have.

I press about 3 grams of flower at a time. The puck is about 1" in diameter and about an 1/8" thick. My blocks are 3" in diameter. I press an ounce of flowers and get about 3 grams of rosin. Unless I'm cooking, 3 grams lasts a looooong time. 10 quick presses and I'm done for a month. I just don't need a bigger setup.

So, if you're going for personal use.... a nice simple 6 ton table top will do everything you need. If you think your going to be pressing big blocks like the guys that do 5x7 and larger, yeah, get a bigger press. Otherwise, for $59 the Harbor freight press is a great place to start. Even of you do decide to replace it with something later, it is only $59.

Amateur time !--
This is a baseball cap heat transfer machine !-- Cost me about $125 -- Comes with One heat block --Timer and heat controller !-- It is a work in progress !-- That rubber pad on bottom got to be replaced with something so it has no give !-- The pivot point will not handle the pressure I want so I use a Clamp to take the pressure off the lever pivot point !-- For now !-- Dis got to buy me a real press !-- 2 flat heat plates may be in my future !-- Reenforce the pressure lever pivot point and it'll work fine !-- I used to run presses brakes and punches as a young man !-- I'll get there !-- The law says I could get up to 99 years for making a concentrate in Texas so I don't know nothing bout nothing !-- Strictly theory! --

View attachment 20170821_174727-1.jpg

HG, if you really want some great info about temps and pressure, you can run though this thread at IG. It's 2 years long and a zillion posts. But you can breif it and pick out the high points.

Ester Essence, Sunfire, Heady Blunt and Hashmasta Kut all have good input.

https://www.mjp.com/ic/showthread.php?t=301794

There's also a ton of info on Instagram and apparently, there's a Facebook page as well. Instagram videos never work for me but there's some pretty mouth-watering videos. Look for SUNFIRE and ELYSIAN RESEARCH. Sunfire's press is really cool. After it heats and you set it up, it turns sideways so the rosin drips down onto a collection tray. Totally cool. But, these guys are making 10 and 20 grams of rosin in a single press. LOL Obviously more than a personal use machine. LOL

https://www.instagram.com/sunfire_ranch/

Thanks, I went through about the first 20 and the last 80 pages on the mjp thread. LOL--got a kick out of the guy at the beginning of the thread (2015) saying that rosin was a passing fancy and it would be gone in a few months. They did talk about pressure, which was one of the things I had questions about. Most people just talk about the tonnage of the jack without talking about the relationship to plate size and resulting PSI. For instance saying that you use a 20 ton jack means nothing unless you know the plate size to determine psi, which is really the only measurement that means anything. I've decided that I am going to aim for 750 to 1000 psi. Right now, I am looking at 4 x 4 plates, which would mean an 8 ton jack. I may use 4" round if I can find some already cut to 1" thick.

some questions on the heating unit(s). What wattage are the cartridge heaters you are using? How large should they be in relationship to your plates? Any benefit to having 2 temperature controllers--one for each plate? They are cheap enough and small enough that this is easy to do.

Thanks all.

I really don't do Instagram or Facebook.

100watt heaters, one in each plate, one temp controller works just fine

Round plates will be easy to find if that's what you want. Search "Aluminum Bar Stock" on eBay and look for 1" thick by whatever diameter you want.

Keep in mind, with bigger plates, you'll be pressing bigger pucks. A 4" plate will probably fit a 4 to 5 gram puck. I use about 3 grams with my 3" plates.

If the plate is too big for the puck, the rosin will never make it out from in between the plates and it will bake and over heat. If the plates are too small for the puck, the puck squirts out of the plates and the rosin is contaminated with weed particulates.

So, plate size also determines puck size.

I usually press about an ounce at a time. That gives me about 3 or 4 grams (about 10 to 15% return) of rosin which lasts me quite a while. So, about 10 presses at 3 grams each puck, and I'm done.

And, yeah, what ston-loc said. I used 200 and 300 watt heaters but I have to turn them way down so 100 watt is probably a better choice.

And, I use 1 temp controller (a fan controller) and it works fine.

As for press size, I still hold to, get the biggest press you have room for and can afford. If you have a bigger press, you can always use less pressure if it's too much. However, with a smaller press, you are limited to what it has to offer.

That looks pretty close but check out the procedure. The THCA is actually what's left INSIDE the filter. not what squishes out. Kind of odd. ;)

I read that all wrong haha. That doesn't make any sense though. It's all thca cause it hasn't been decarbed, and 45 seconds at 180 isn't converting it to thc. Only once it's vaped onto the hot banger does it convert. Am I missing something?

Technically, yeah. It's all THCA until we burn it. This stuff is supposed to be tested at 90%+ compared to flowers at 20%, BHO and rosin at about 60% and the white stuff they call THCA being 90%+.

The color is the strangest thing to me. Why is it bright white? I suppose more info will come out if it gets popular. Meanwhile, I don't want to trash HG's thread. ;)

this is a Nice thread I will continue to fallow along here cause it seems some dont want to respond to PM sent. Some must just want to help some and not others. But as we all know theres info out here just need to find the right/correct info

Or maybe its like when I first started growing and had to find out more for myself. because there was so much confusing info...this is something new and I see I will have to spend money to find out.

Okay, I have made some tentative plans...you guys can tell me if it will work.

I want (need) something small and light that this old lady can at least move by herself. So am really wanting to make something out of aluminum plate, all-thread and a hydraulic bottle jack, rather than buying a press.

So this is the basic plan, pretty much using ideas from one I found on e-bay that I liked. I will be using 4 pieces of 3/8" 6 x 6" aluminum plate, with each "layer" being separated an supported by threaded stock, washers, and nuts. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F80W8NS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 LOL--couldn't help but get a kick out of the seller: Stoner Tools and Raw Materials.

Going to put a PID temp controller https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BVWYI8G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 in a project box https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T7RMMS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 with the only heater cartridges I can find in the US http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Rod-Ign...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I haven't decided whether to put the controller on the bottom or top of the unit. On the top, I would need some kind of insulating material between the top heat plate and the controller. Anyway, First a 6 x 6 plate, then the temp controller, then another 6 x 6 plate. Then the jack sits on top of that. Then another 6 x 6 piece that the bottom heat plate is attached to, then the top heat plate and the top piece of 6 x 6 stock. Springs somewhere to pull the bottom plate down when the air is released. Also, I want some kind of handle on top, both to help hold the unit while you are using it and to move it.

Looking at an 8 ton press on sale at Tractor supply. I like it because it has a small footprint. I have also looked at hydraulic bottle jacks that can also be operated with an air compressor. They are, of course, more money, but could be a good if someone had trouble operating it manually. They do work both ways though, so you could use it without a compressor. Thinking of either 4" round or 4 x 3 plates--around the same square inches. Think plate shape will be determined by the shape I decide to pre-press.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a link to over 3000 US sellers of cartridges.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...ter&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Keep this in mind. You don't want the length of your heater to be too much shorter or longer than your plate. Naturally, too long will stick out the end and waste heat. Too short and the wires will be inside the hole and might get too hot.

Also, China deliveries only take about 3 weeks from most sellers.

On the end caps.... do you think 3/8" is enough? You might have to put some numbers together based on 8 tons of pressure against a 6x6x3/8 to make sure it won't bend on you. There are quite a few online calculator for figuring yield strength of aluminum plate.

I like that PID controller but I do have hesitation. It looks like it only controls one cartridge so you'll need 2 of them? Yes? Also, from what I have read from just about everyone... the numbers on the readout will seldom match the actual temperature of your plates. Most of them seem to be consistent so you will, eventually find a multiplier that works but you should still probably get something like this.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/From-USA-Di...08&rk=1&rkt=1&&_trksid=p2045573.c100508.m3226

... to measure the actual plate temperature. Forget the "laser" temp readers. They don't work very well on shiny aluminum.

I took one of these and attached the probe to the side of the plate with a small screw and I get a pretty accurate reading of the actual plate temps. I use a fan controller to adjust the temp.

And, yes, the plates should reflect the size and shape of your pre-press. Snakes work well for square plates pressing out one side. I don't know about square plates pressing out all sides. I've never seen that. I think I'm about the only one using round plates and squeezing out all around it. I think everyone else is doing flat plates and pressing everything one way out.

Latest posts

Back